“Interior far nicer than exterior”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Great overnight after long flight. Chosen so we could head out to BC easily the following morning. Check in was slow.....we arrived at 5.30 and there was a group of 5 plus 1 other. By the time we had completed check I. There was quite a line up. Needs to be a little slicker. Nice suite on the 4th floor, spotless and comfortable. Toiletries were a bit sparse but then again this is budget not luxury accommodation. Air conditioning unit was extremely noisy so much so that at being woken by it kicking in for the third time we switched it off. Not great on a warm night. Reported this the following morning but as a warning we were in room 414! Free breakfast was typical HE but it's something to get you on the road. Coffee fine and plenty of all that was on offer. Would stay here again as it was also convenient to walk to Original Joes for a beer and supper!

Room Tip: Avoid 414 unless you check re air con
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We choose this hotel because it was pet friendly. We really appreciate the fact they let our small dog stay there. Loved this hotel. We arrived late and Miguel was wonderful at the check in, everything was ready. Room was really nice, great bedding, everything very clean. We loved this location as it was close to relatives who we were visiting. Breakfast was yummy. We did bacon, some eggs, and a bagel. Kept us going for the morning. Also appreciated the free newspapers in the lobby. Efficient check out. Can't say a bad word about this hotel, will be back again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We are Holiday Inn loyal, and this location did pretty good to keep up with the Holiday Inn standards. The only issue we noted was the paper-thin walls. At one point on Friday night we got out of bed to ask the people in the hallway to keep it down, but the hallway was empty. People must have been talkign in the room beside us or above us and we could hear their entire conversation. Saturday a.m. we awoke to their TV and we could hear the news cast as if it was being played in our room. But it was fairly minor and reminded us why we hated condo living.

The pool was awesome and had a great waterslide and a hot tub for use. We definitely enjoyed those perks.

The breakfast was very standard for the Holiday Inn brand, but the eggs were pretty nasty. Obviously powdered or something. The yogurt and fresh fruit options were a big hit as was the pancake machine. The coffee was good and hot and everything hit the spot.

We enjoyed the location too. It is walking distance to 3 separate restaurants, plus coffee shops.

We requested a room far from the elevators at the time of booking and it was accommodated so we were very happy with that.

I quite enjoyed the beds and pillows, though others in my party found it all too soft. You can't please everybody. The size of the room was the best part. It was significantly bigger than many other Holiday Inn rooms and your standard hotel room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Overall satisfied. Hotel is clean and comfortable. It's a little too far from downtown but that depends on your needs. I drove back and forth from the office so no issue. Tons of restaurants in the area so you won't have a problem finding something you like (all price ranges). Breakfast was simple but very good. Scrambled Eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, cereals and cinnamon buns. Will stay here again on my next trip.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn Express multiple times, and as a Platinum Elite member I have been treated quite well - upgraded rooms on each stay. The staff is very professional, but not quite as friendly as staff at other properties In Calgary I've stayed at. The hotel itself and the guest rooms are in very good shape, extremely clean, and well-laid out. The small exercise room was adequate as there were never more than two people exercising at once. The only negatives would be the rather small parking lot (which was a bit of an adventure with snow piled up) and the breakfast. While I hate to complain about free breakfasts, it just seemed to lack any kind of variety and got a bit bland after a few days.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have to say I was quite surprised by this hotel and the room. The room which was a suite was only $130 + tax. It was booked last minute so price was reduced. Even the regular prices are very fair for what you get and proximity to things. The suite was just as good if not better than rooms I have paid literally double for. Very clean, modern and spacious. The bathroom was very large as well- granite counters etc. The staff were friendly and accomodating. It is right off MacLeod Trail South which is a main road that will take you directly downtown Calgary to business, Stampede etc.( Maybe a 15-20 minute drive) South Center Mall is close by and is one of the nicest in the city. Across from the hotel is a plaza with a liquor store, Tim Horton's etc. if you want to grab something quick to eat. I would stay here again without any hesitation and book it for friends and family coming into town as well. Definitely a keeper!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2014

As an elite platinum member, I was very upset about my stay in Calgary on February 17th. I pull at truck and trailer. We specifically called and asked if their parking lot was adequate to get into and out of with a larger rig. They told us it was. I get here and it was one of the smallest I've ever had at a Holiday Inn. I had to cancel for the rest of the week and make a new reservation at a new hotel. The most irritating thing is, I have to haul all my stuff around in the truck all day so there is no room for my clients. I was so mad I stayed at the Wingate instead. I have been a loyal customer but this tics me off when they bold face lie to you. I would have just stayed at a different Holiday Inn but not now!

Demtech Services, Inc.
New Business Development/
Technical Sales

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Mulebob
Hiexgm H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Mulebob ,
Thank you for your comments, I apologise if you feel that we have misled you , it was not our intention.
Perhaps the size of the "Rig " was misjudged at time of reservation as we do take special parking requests for larger Coaches / Busses that we specifically block off and have reserved , this is located to right as you enter the parking and we have not been advised of any maneuvering difficulties before, so I sincerley apologise for any Inconveniences that this has caused.
Sincerely