“Horrible!!”

Ranked #62 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Stony Plain, Canada
“Horrible!!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This Hotel is renovating and charging the same price as other Hotels. Their Halls are drywall only and their Restaurant is in an office suite. Pathetic! I expect a certain level of quality from the Holiday Inn chain and was extremely disappointed. However if you like cold showers with very little water pressure, paper thin walls, cramped dirty and dated rooms, and management that frankly doesn't care, than this is the place for you. Do yourself a favor and shop around. Very sad for the Holiday Inn chain, but hopefully they can turn things around. I suggest a change in management would be a great start.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment regarding your most recent stay here ay the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. I am sorry that your stay was an inconvenient one. We are renovating the hotel to make the decor more modern and up to date. I will speak to my maintenance regarding the hot water problem that you had encountered. We are also in the processof renovating our guest rooms to take care of the paper thin walls that you were speaking of during your stay. I hope that you would provide us with another oppourtunity to provide you with the customer service that you are accustomed to from Holiday Inns, once our hotel is completely renovated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Coming with client we came here at the last minute. The hotel team organized a meeting room with coffee break and meeting requirement in few hours. The lunch and service was also very good. Next time I would most likely stay here as the hotel is very close to the airport and under refurbishment.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed one night on our way to Mexico. We chose this hotel because it was close to the airport and had a 24 hour shuttle. The shuttle was a little bit of a problem as the driver locked the running van with all our luggage in it when we arrived in Calgary, We had to wait an hour for a spare set of keys to be brought to the airport. The restaurant was good, beds comfortable and the rooms quiet. The 4am morning shuttle was waiting for us and no problem. Would use this hotel again for an overnight trip, for anything else it appeared to be in the middle of not too much, we didn't even see many places to eat.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Moose Jaw, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

If you want a great hotel close to the airport this is the place. Everyone friendly and very accommodating to your every need. Business required extra chair and few amenities and they were there in no time. One of best Holiday Inn I have stayed at.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Check in was ok. Girl at the desk was new and her trainer was not paying attention to what was going on. Room was good size, could not get the TV to work. Had no control over the heat in room and found it very dry. Got woken up because someone was trying to get into my room. Very loud in the hallways, which kept me away. Had a bath and the stopper would not work so had to stuff a face cloth in the drain. Coffee maker would not work properly and poured coffee all over the counter. Was so fed up with staying there that I left early. When I checked out the front desk man did not ask me how I wanted to pay and put it on my CC which I did not want to, I had my debit card in my hand but he didnt even bother to look up at me. I told him I was upset with that and that I had a horrible stay and he just strugged his shoulders and said sorry. Will never be back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations during your stay. I have addressed your comments with all departments to ensure that his does not happen again in the near future to one of our guests. I hope that you will provide us with another oppourtunity to provide you the customer service that we usually provide everyone that stays at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here on December 14 for one night. I booked online with IHG and as a Platinum Elite member I got an upgrade to a King Executive room.
When I checked it, it was around midnight. Right away the thing I noticed was that the person checking me in had no name tag. I hate it when employees are not proud to display their name. Nametagless employees never seem to offer a welcomed experience to guests and this was the case also. I was offered a plastic bag of a bottle water, a bag of chips, and a granola bar. There was also a coupon for a free drink in the bar but I was tired and went straight to my room instead. Too bad you cannot exchange the free drink offer for something that you value instead of what the hotel values.
The hotel has been recently renovated on the exterior and in the interior of the hotel. It is very nicely done.
The room itself seemed to be interesting in the sense that it was a mix of the old and new. Never had I seen so much wood clash with so much steel; it was like a project was shelved halfway through so the old wood interior design was kept with a new modern steel type of look (case in point the bathroom had a old wooden door but new steel frames for the mirror. Either both should be modern or both old, but not a clash!). The bathroom sliding doors for the shower were not working correctly and you had to have the opposite doors used to get in and out, making the whole experience backwards.
Their is also a small area for a sink/microwave/coffeemaker/etc. but this has a top shelf which is very easy to bang your head on as you 'round the corner to the bed.
The mattress was very comfortable and I had a good sleep.
The chairs were of an older generation but the room was spacious.
On the way out the housekeeper Amelia was very friendly and interested in my stay as we rode the elevator back down to the lobby. It seemed like she enjoyed her job and it is always great when employees, even housekeepers, interact with the guests.
Overall the hotel still has some work cut out for it. I am not sure that I would be back... it would depend on the price compared to other IHG branded hotels in the area.
The airport is nowhere near the hotel. They should consider renaming the hotel as a result. 30 years ago it was close, but with Barlow Trail now closed, they really need to look at rebranding themselves as an airport hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to provide us with some feed back regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. We are spending sometime on renovations on the inside of the hotel to ensure that we have the modern look that all hotels have. I have also spoken to the staff to ensure that they where their name tags at all times. We hope that you come by and visit us again once all our renovations are complete.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Diana, Martina, Rose and Barbara were absolutely amazing. Top notch service. I am in sales and constantly on the road. What a pleasure to deal with this wondeful staff. Wishing them all a merry Christmas and the happiest of New Years. This is a great establishment with the best service in the industry. Thank you so much! Their management team did great hiring this staff.

• Stayed December 2013
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. We are happy to see that your stay was a memorable one. I will make sure to pass your comments omto Diana, Barbara, Rose and Martina. We hope to be oif service you again in the near future.