“Outstanding food”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwest Calgary
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had some hesitations about this restaurant group due to a visit a few years ago to another location. Fortunately, our food was absolutely outstanding this time. We also had an excellent evening view looking over the pond. The service was satisfactory but a little slow considering the restaurant was not busy. Prices are reasonable and the menu offers a wide choice. We started with bruschetta and calamari followed by outstanding flavoured entrees. We will definitely return.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Upon arriving for the birthday reservation the restaurant was almost empty and very clean. It took numerous attempts to get seated after some confusion and once we finally got our table had to chase around our waiter to get a child seat. We had researched the restaurant online and were disappointed to find that they no longer had the child's menu as per the online sight and the waiter could not be bothered to offer us any alternatives. We finally tracked down a member of management and discovered they had cheese pizza for the kids. We ordered drinks and appetizers from a very disinterested and distracted waiter who had to come back to verify our three drinks. We specifically ordered for the kids first, but the app came first. We then ordered our main course and stared at empty drink glasses for over 10 minutes. I would like to add, there were four tables of customers to 5 wait staff, three managers, and two hostesses at this point. Our food arrived and we were able to order more drinks and water refills. The food was excellent, however, the waiter only checked on us once through the entire meal even though we had full view of the wait staff standing around doing absolutely nothing. Having spent numerous years in the industry it was glaringly apparent we were of no concern to the staff. When we finally went to pay we waited again for almost 10 minutes finally bringing our concerns to management. He was very apologetic and comped some of the meal, but the horrible lack of service will always be at the forefront of our experience. I would not recommend the restaurant as the prices were a little high and the service was an absolute embarrassment. Spend both your time and money elsewhere.

1  Thank Josh F
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Having eaten at the Broken Plate, Aspen Landing before and been impressed with both service and food, I decided to take my family to dinner to celebrate my 15 year old grandson's birthday. We made reservations several days in advance and arrived on time. We were seated immediately. Ten-Fifteen minutes passed before our waiter came to take our drink order. We said we wanted to order appetizers and our meals as we were quite hungry. He took our order and that's the last we saw him. After waiting 20 minutes or so, we hailed the Maitre D who mentioned a large table of 22 had backed things up but assured us our appetizers would be out soon. After about 5 minutes the appetizers appeared and were delicious. And then the real wait began. after being in the restaurant for over an hour (an hour and twenty minutes, but who's counting), we left.
I don't recall ever having such poor service, nor a time when the staff seemed so disinterested in making customers happy. There was no apology when we mentioned to the maitre d we were leaving, nor did he make any overtures to recover our loyalty.
I think what disappoints me most is this was to be a celebration, an occasion to rejoice.
Because of this incident, I will not be returning to the Broken Plate, nor am I likely to recommend it.

1  Thank CJ_Nobile
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had a great lunch at Broken Plate in Aspen. We parked outside, however underground parking on a cold, blustery day in Calgary is very nice. The retaurant is downstairs. We were shown to a nice booth (nice to be asked booth or table) where we had a view out the large windows. We both enjoyed the daily special soup to begin, very tasty. I had the lobster ravioli, which was very good. Rich sause, delicious. My lunch guest had the pasta special which was also very good.

As a side note, I left a binder at the restauarnt and they were very good in ensuring it was held safe for me to pick up later. Great lunch, and great service.

1  Thank David B
Reviewed November 6, 2012

What a great place. I do suggest a reservation- we were unable to get in one Friday night so came back another week. Very welcoming, servers were knowledgable and super friendly, but not over the top. Food was excellent. Restaurant is downstairs- not sure if there is an elevator... but once you make it down there, it doesn't feel like you are in a basement at all. They have a walk out patio, and the large windows are nice. Comfortable and clean. Only complaint, is the lights in the bathroom are on a sensor when you walk in... and if you spend too much time in the stall they turn off! My dad had the unpleasant experience of finding his way out of a stall before they turned back on.

1  Thank Chantelle L