“So cool its Wicked” 5 of 5 bubbles

Wicked Hostels - Calgary
little mountain town, Canada
“So cool its Wicked”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Worth every penny if you can even get a bed. Only hostel left in Calgary after the floods this summer so make sure you have a bed booked well in advance. Jeff the owner and Luke and the rest of the staff super friendly. They present Calgary very well to backpackers and make it a fun place to come. Stayed here a number of times for up to 3 weeks at a time. Great spot and good vibe. Location is sweet as it right beside Victoria Park C-Train Station.

Room Tip: Best tip is to book well in advance so you know you got a room. Watch so many people get turned awa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thanks mate for the wicked review! Glad you had a good time here! Cheers, Jeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Airdrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I came to this hostel when I was not having much money and I got the opportunity to work and stay there for a bit and the people there are really open-minded and I met my boyfriend there and we just celebrated our first anniversary :) I also enjoyed the big selection for breakfast and it's great they're washing your clothes for you and the beds are also made before the guests arrive what I never saw in a hostel before. And they have punch parties and dinner for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas which gives you a family feeling when you're far away from home. I'd go back there anytime!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
You are awesome!!! Thanks for the review!! Cheers, Jeff
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

To preface this review, I'd like to say that my friend and I are backpackers who had been partying our way through Canada. We totally appreciate communal vibes and late night, loud fun. However we also expect cleanliness, personal space and room for our belongings - and value for money. Wicked was filthy and the tiny rooms were crammed with beds. There was rubbish everywhere, we couldn't access our beds and we slept with our luggage because the floor was invaded with mess. No lockers, no luggage room. There was a sign on the door from the staff requesting that guests keep their belongings neatly organised in the room. However no one complied and it was not enforced, as at least one staff member saw the appalling state of the room.

I've seen the manager respond with snide comments when people attempt to complain about the hostel's shortcomings. We do love fun. We don't mind noise, late nights or partying. It seems the manager would rather insult his disgruntled guests than attempt to remedy the undeniable lack of space/security situation. It's awesome he loves to welcome and party with his guests - he should consider managing the place too.

Also, $30 per night is a ridiculous price for a filthy, cramped 8 bed mixed dorm. That's the standard price for a 4 bed same sex at HI (who offer communal spaces, free events that are great for partying and meeting people, lockers, cleanliness and personal space).

On a positive note, the staff were quite lovely.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jane R
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Obviously, the previous guest review and yourself stayed together at the hostel, so please see the previous response for my "snide comments" aka defense of my baby. But my real question is, how on earth do you know what the HI Calgary offers or what their price is. Unfortunately due to the floods they have been closed for the last 6 months. Maybe I'm crazy (actually I am just a little bit) but I'm guessing you two ladies are the two Australian former HI somewhere in western Canada staff we graciously accommodated for free. I guess that's what you get for good deeds.

Anyways, good luck.

Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

No space for anyone to put their things, had to sleep with our suitcases on our beds because the floor was covered with people's belongings and rubbish. There were no lockers available anywhere. Maybe one of the (tiny!) dorms should be changed into a locker room. We paid $30 for an 8 bed mixed dorm - standard price at any other hostel for a same sex 4 bed dorm (with lockers). There wasn't even anything fun happening to make all this worth it. We ate out because the kitchen was too dirty. Just no

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Katelouisev
Really? You didn't notice the massive space under your bed to storage luggage, kitchen sinks, or elephants? As for lockers, we actually advertise that we don't have lockers, we also don't have thefts either. As for price yep its standard hasn't changed. As for fun things happening, this make me very suspicious as we have events each and every night, yes, each and every night - maybe you didn't see the three massive whiteboards telling you the events happening each night or didn't think to ask a staff member what's happening. Anyways, good luck with your trip.

Nanaimo, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

A friend recommended this place to me and after checking out the website and its photos, I had high hopes.

It started out pretty positive with a friendly and efficient staff member who endured my friends' delirious state (they had a long and random laughter fit) gracefully during check-in. He was easy-going and willing to help out.

Then, he gave us the tour and it went downhill from here.

Don't get me wrong, the hostel has GREAT potential (cool set up, centrally located, etc.), but it's just not quite up to par when it comes to cleanliness and hygiene (ie: blocked toilet that stayed as such all through our stay, showers with weird stuff on the floor, messy kitchen - although I did see the staff member clean it up a bit before going home -, etc.) I've definitely seen worse, but I've also seen MUCH better.

What made the stay terrible, however, was the fact that our room was on the first floor - right next to the common areas (kitchen & lounge). There was a movie night on Sunday night so there was noise up until 10-11pm (which is perfectly fine & NORMAL in hostels), but the problem presented itself when I (and 2-3 of my roommates) got woken up several times between 1am and 5am because of drunk and very, very loud people in said common areas.

I usually have a high tolerance for noise and try and show comprehensiveness up until 2-3am, but I had to get up and ask them to turn it down a notch or 2 at some point. Of course, when you're drunk, you don't necessarily realize you're being loud so you go right back to it.

Thing is, the hostel DOES have a quiet time policy after 11pm (I believe), but since the front desk staff is here until midnight and there's no on-site Night Caretaker, therefore there's no one to ensure that that policy is respected after hours.

To be fair, most of the rooms are on the top floor and I believe that if you're on that floor, you're probably fine. And I cannot stress enough how much I appreciated the staff member's courteous customer service. I'll be mentioning these negative points at check-out and updating this with comments on how the complaint was handled.

It's sad because I feel like with a firmer hand in housekeeping matters and a NC, this place would be absolutely wonderful.

Recommended for: People who like to have a good time and party and who aren't phased out by a little messiness
Tips: Request a bed on the upper floor

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank KatryneL
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately once again we are most likely not the kind of place you were looking for...we actually advertise that we are not the quiet, sterile, institutional-type hostel. Instead Wicked is full of people, laughter and fun. If you just wanted a place to quietly sleep, we could have recommend a very nice motel for you, unfortunately if you wanted to meet a bunch of crazy cool people and have a good time in Calgary you likely would have loved it here. As for cleanliness - we are constantly full, I have 3 cleaning shifts of dedicated cleaners. Unless I kick it up to hiring a whole independent janitorial staff constantly cleaning day and night there is no way I can keep this place as sterile as you would like, so instead we just ask that people who are looking for an institutional hostel to please not come here.

Good luck!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Like any hostel, this one's got its ups and downs, but I give it five because its got a really positive atmosphere. Of course, there's more than that as well.

The place resembles a house with the kitchen, dining room, and common area on the first floor. Rooms are both on the first and second floors. The second floor has a computer area, a phone that lets you call 40+ countries for FREE, and the laundry facility - which they do for you, FREE (you just put your clothes into a white trash bag, leave it in the hall near the laundry area, and they take care of it for you. Really, how nice is that for the price you pay?)

It might be a little more cramped than other hostels, but it's super easy to meet people. There's always the opportunity to party at night, but if you're not into that there's really no pressure.

Breakfast is also free, and they've got a whole bunch of spices you can use for free.

Bathrooms/washrooms and shower rooms were decent.

One thing that could be improved is the cleanliness of floors in the room. I think the room I stayed in could have used some mopping. Other than that, I don't have too many complaints about this one. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're particular about getting good sleep at night, try to request for a room on the second...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the review, mate. Unfortunately cleanliness is really our biggest challenge as we cannot really afford someone continuously cleaning all of the time we have 3 cleaning shifts plus 1 staff cleaning shift. Glad you had a good time!!

Cheers,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I would any advise any traveler to check this place out, after staying in many hostels on the West Coast of Canada this was probably the best and most relaxed one. As I came in the staff directed and showed me around the hostel to show where everything was. Free breakfast, easy to meet people, kitchen, where they also provide you with coffee, ice tea mix, among some other things all for free! Overal give this hostel a big recommendation.

Axel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I HEART YOU, thanks for the awesome review!!

Cheers,