“Don't stay in this place!”

and 1 more site!
Wicked Hostels - Calgary
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The place is a completly mess! First we arrived and had to pay a security deposit to have the keys for the open and room door and towels, but the contradition is that they had no lockers to you put your stuffs! Came on, if we had to pay a security deposit to have towels this just seems to me that people who stay in the place are not trustable and I had no lockers to put my own thinks. Second, the room have too many beds! We barely have space to put our luggage. I stay in a small room with more 5 persons and my friends stayed in a room with 8 people and, in the middle of the night someone open the door and threw up on the floor! CAME ON! By the way, there was a party happening when we arrived and the receptionist said that the party would finish at 10 pm. Well, the party over at 10 pm but not the noise! People keep talking loud until late in the night! And when the people from the party arrive from the cassino, the noise just increased! Seriously, I just could sleep after 4 am. No one takes care of that place. I heard some people complaining with the people about the talking and askin them to speak lower but just didn't work, and we had no one to complaim about it because the owner and the staffs were in the party with the people! And the place just didn't look clean for me. The place realy need some manager. The only thing good in the hostel is the breakfast, that offers a lot of things.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank RDPMS
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Hey mate,

I suspect this is not a real review. That said, we are a backpacker hostel, in fact if you notice on our booking pages it states if you are looking for a quiet place to stay please go somewhere else as we are definitely not what you are looking for. So if you are looking for a quiet place without other people around I suggest a quiet hotel room, if you enjoy a communal atmosphere where people head out on the town then Wicked is more for you. This review is actually really good, hopefully those people just looking for a quiet place will read it and not come to Wicked.

Good luck with your trip

Jefff

There are newer reviews for Wicked Hostels - Calgary

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed one night and I can say this place is horrible. There are no lockers at all, the rooms are packed with beds so you almost don't have space to walk inside. But that is not the worst part. The rooms are close to the common area, so don't expect to to sleep during the night. The owner (Jeff) likes to drink with his friends (he could also try to manage the place, that would be good) so there are no rules of silence after 11pm or even after 04am. There were people naked in the common areas and throwing up in common areas. The place is a mess. Be aware.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank DarthVader86

Hey dude,

Thanks for the review, you make the hostel sound freaking awesome - I missed the naked people though. Yeah, so if you didn't get it when you walked in - we are a backpacker hostel. We like to have fun here. Do you like fun? Guessing not but I do. Hence, if you are looking for a dorm bed in a crazy, communal backpacker hostel please stay here. If you just want some place quiet, please, please, please do not stay at Wicked. You will be happy without the people around and we will be happy without you around. Definitely a win-win for everyone.

Good luck with your trip

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Very little space especially in the smaller rooms, but works well if all you've got is one backpack.

On the plus side, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the beds are quite comfortable and clean. And this place is bang in the middle of the city so everything is walking distance/one bus/train ride away.

My first preference (from a couple of recommendations) would have been the HI hostel, but that was still closed after the recent floods.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room... quieter since it is away from the common areas, plus that's where th...
2  Thank Bangalorean4Life

Hey dude,

Thanks for the review, I know we weren't exactly what you were looking for but I am glad you like it. I also cannot wait for HI Calgary to re-open. We both cater to a different set of travelers and with them closed we've been getting guests that don't fit our niche the way we like.

Hope you have a great trip!!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Firstly I gotta say, if you're thinking of visiting calgary (and I assume you are if you're reading this) visit during the stampede, it really is the greatest outdoor show! I'm not sure what people do the other 300 plus days of the year though :/ anyway the hostel is cool, it's a small friendly operation and everyone seems to pitch in to make it a good place to be, the owner even did the laundry for everyone, the location is genuinely right opposite the stampede ground main gate, and walking distance to downtown, clubs pubs bars and the riverside parks. The rooms are very modern. As is the communal area and the kitchen, some other reviews have commented on noise keeping them awake, personally I slept fine but I can see how this might be a problem, most the rooms face right out to the parking lot intact my bed was less than a metre from the tailpipe of a truck haha, and also many of the rooms lead directly off the communal areas so I guess it's a fair observation by the other reviewers, although as I said I slept fine all 3 nights. I really liked the bathrooms here, there is one big shower room for each sex with a row of stalls to shower in they're really well designed with individual doors and space to get dried and dressed in privacy, it's a relatively small hostel so I never had any problem getting a shower stall whenever I needed one. I couldn't fault the cleanliness or comfort of the rooms, again it shows that the hostel is quite new, the beds don't squeak of rattle like I've experienced in some hostels. Ok so downsides, there are no lockers to store valuable personal belongings, the hostel itself is very secure with a door code after midnight and a key needed 24 hours a day, plus your room key, and I felt my belongings were safe with the other boarders in my room but not everyone feels that way so it would be nice to have lockers in the rooms even if not 1 for everyone would be nice to have the option there. The only other issue I noticed while I was here seemed to be with overbooking of rooms, fair enough this happens everywhere now and again and it was a very busy time (stampede week and the other calgary hostel is still shut from the floods) but it caused a massive argument on my final night because there were 7 people and 6 beds! This wasn't my room luckily but becuase it is a small close knit hostel everyone became involved and it was still creating issues the next morning around moving people to different rooms that were co ed or not co ed and stuff it was very confusing for everyone involved! So yeah if they had lockers and got the room booking right it would have been 5 stars

Room Tip: Make sure you book an all female or all male dorm if that's what to want, there is only 1 room o...
1  Thank bubbam999

Hey mate,

Thanks for the review. It was our pleasure having you. Unfortunately, we figured out what the "overbooking" was - one guest was supposed to move rooms to another bed, but didn't - he just hopped back into the same bed. Wasn't much we could do as we didn't realize until after that he never changed rooms.

It was great having you, please pop in again

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had a really great time at this hostel during stampede season :)

*Location is awesome, the best for stampede*
Stampede park is in front of the hostel - so you can go in a sec, and
Whenever you need a rest, internet, shower, spare clothes, etc..
you can come back in a sec!! (*you can re-enter stampede anytime during the day)

Staffs are all friendly, Greatly thanks for the guys and lady at reception.

Another some reviewer say that bed was cracking and lobby was noisy at night,
But the bed was not so bad, pretty comfy mattress and clean sheets,
that was good enough for me.

At Night time, Staff always turn music down for another guests who are sleeping,
And Guests (who want to go party) could go pub with another staff :)
Entrance door is always locked so only guests can get in.
So I felt really secure to leave my baggage in my dorm.

Thanks a lot :)

Room Tip: On 1st floor, 8bed dorms and living room and bathroom. On 2nd floor, other type of rooms and shower...
1  Thank N_Honda_J

Mate,

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank-you for the review, I'm glad you had a great time here. If you are ever back in Calgary, please drop in and see us!!!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have stayed 2 nights in this hotel. Its really pitty that the good points of this hostel - helpful staff, clean bathroom (although just 1 toilet for men on each floor), quite good location - cannot balance the bad points. These are (at least for the room 4 in 1st floor near the kitchen) : 1) impossibility of sleeping till 2 a.m. due to laud laughing/speaking of other guests in the kitchen
2) unbelievable creaking beds - it seems that they bought them because of this feature! By every move
of me or the other 3 guests I have heared horrible creaking.
3) no window that can be opened, stuffy and hot air in the room

Overall I slept few hours during the 2 nights, maybe I could slept better outside on the bench like the homeless people in Calgary (18 degrees during night during my stay). NEVER AGAIN!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
13  Thank rbbrno
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my older brother when i was visiting him from Oz. Having stayed in a few hostels, i found this one quite okay. The guy running it was really nice and helpful, although the place is quite small, it was relatively clean considering. The only thing i didnt really like was the kitchen, was too small and got messy very quickly. Our 6 person dorm was fine, slept okay and very warm (it was november when i visited). Reasonably priced, and good location (close to train).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rochelle C

Thanks dude, glad you liked it - if you are back down please stay again!!