“Perfect spot for a summer lunch with friends”

Reader's Garden Cafe
Ranked #1,215 of 3,725 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Closed for the season, but open for private or corporate events. Call or email and book our unique location for your event! Regular cafe hours start again on May 2, 2018. Unique Atmosphere After a short stroll through the beautiful Reader Rock Garden you will see the historic Building discreetly tucked away behind the trees and shrubbery. Reader's Garden Cafe is a perfect place to relax and have a good conversation. The Cafe has a limited, but attractive menu and features daily specials. Our attentive staff will make sure you enjoy every minute of your visit.
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The Reader Rock Garden has nothing to do with reading. It’s a tribute to William Reader who collected and preserved many alpine species on a previously barren hillside.

You have to wind your way up from the parking lot, through the lovely garden to the cafe, which is located in an “arts and craft” style house. It’s the perfect place to go for an unhurried lunch with friends. Located near the Stampede grounds, it would also be a great refuge from the “maddening crowds”---but I’d make reservations!

The luncheon menu is simple with an emphasis on fresh salads. The salads are pretty, ample and delighted several of my friends. I had the egg salad and borscht special. The egg salad spilled over the sides of the bread, which, unfortunately, broke apart. The borscht, however, was really tasty. Later, several of the group had dessert. One raved about the cheesecake which she stated was the best she had ever had. The peach and the rhubarb crisp looked excellent, but, alas, the kitchen ran out before I had an opportunity to sample it.

The Reader House Cafe is not without its faults, but I would go again and again. And probably will. I’d suggest you give it a try.

2  Thank Lindadrp

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I had heard about this little cafe in the heart of Calgary several years ago -- but finally was able to try it out for lunch. It is located in a quant house in the middle of a rock garden just steps away from the Calgary Stampede site. Quiet, relaxing, peaceful.

The day I was there, the weather was cloudy and only about 16 degrees -- so the garden and cafe were not crowded. I could see this place being very popular on a hot summer day.

My husband and I were looking forward to lunch on the veranda -- but given the weather -- we decided to eat inside. Also -- we were looking for lunch -- not brunch -- but apparently they only serve brunch on Saturday and Sunday. After reviewing the menu - we decided to stay and try the brunch options out.

We tried the french toast -- totally different than anything we had had before -- but very tasty. The maple syrup was pretty strong & overly sweet - but the blueberry compote was excellent with the french toast. We also tried the Cottage Salad. Very similar to a Cobb salad -- but better. All the vegetables were very fresh and tasty -- with a little buttermilk dressing on the side.

The only complaint we had was with the wine selection. There appeared to be 2 options -- and the one we had was not very good.

The service was friendly and attentive. We will have to come back on a nice summer evening to walk through the gardens and try out the dinner menu.

2  Thank Altius10
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The location of the place is very nice, especially in the middle of downtown Calgary. Food is below average to poor and very overpriced. Too bad, the place could be a gem if the city let real restauranteur run it