“Not really airport hotel...poor shuttle service”

Four Points by Sheraton Calgary Airport
Ranked #61 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed September 25, 2011

It took over 40 minutes with one stop at another hotel for us to arrive at hotel via shuttle.... Pretty far from the airport. Also had to wait almost 30 minutes to be picked up by shuttle at airport.
Shuttle only leaves Htel once per hour frm 4am to noon. Room was ok...but we stayed so we could easily shuttle to/from airport with one night stay. Alo be aware, very little in immediate area for dinning or other options

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nola404

Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed here on business in September. My previous flight had been cancelled due to Hurricane Irene and they were really uncooperative, charging me full price for the cancelled event - as if I could have controlled a hurricane! Poor customer service. When I finally did make it, the front desk was not helpful at all, one staff was fairly nice, but the other had a really poor attitude, yet both didn't know what they were talking about. I was renting a meeting room which they did not let me look at to see if it was set up properly, telling me another group was in there, which wasn't true I found out, they just didn't want to be helpful. They had the wrong time for my meeting to start, after I corrected them, I came down in the morning to be told that catering was late and I couldn't get into the meeting room. I had to get a bit ornery to get some response, this was a really stressful experience! I was told I could catch the shuttle at 3:30 for the airport, only to be told at 3:30 that the shuttle had left 10 minutes ago and would be "right back". As time ticked away, I was assured he was going to be "right back". Finally I asked to have them call me a cab, I was going to miss the cutoff for check in. Finally he shows up and then drives as slow as mud to the airport. Did I mention I was in a hurry? Three times? I made it with 3 minutes to spare.

Never again!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Anna F
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I booked this hotel online (and paid in advance for a better rate). I chose it because the price was very competitive with other properties in the area, and I've come to expect a certain degree of comfort at a Four Points by Sheraton property. The staff was very accommodating in helping me get into a room early (something a weary traveller values greatly). The property itself is clean and crisp, professional yet homey.

As expected, the room was very good. Free bottled water (always a nice touch at Four Points) was there, as was a massive desk area with room for my laptop, phone, bag, papers, etc., with room to spare. And with plug-ins conveniently located on the desk for charging my devices. (Four Points by Sheraton is probably the only brand where I don't need to worry about bringing my power bar.) The bed was comfy and pillows were good. Bathroom amenities all fine.

I was not completely pleased with the set-point on the thermostat, as I was feeling rather cold but could not jack up the heat in the room to a level with which I was comfortable. To be fair, I never bothered notifying staff about it... I'm sure they would have helped me out.

The only negative I have with this property is this: considering it is a fairly new property, I am surprised that the internet access is wired rather than wireless. While I appreciate the good workstation Four Points provides (including the best average desk chairs), it would be nice to take your laptop with you to the bed, or to the easy chair, and still remain connected. This would not make or break my staying here again... I simply find it surprising. It would definitely be a welcome upgrade.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MisterBungle
Reviewed September 14, 2011

called after a horrid day at airport after charter cancelled and got second last room available.
shuttle bus was at airport to pick me up within 15 minutes.
front desk located my spg number right away and had me on my way up to my room within a couple of minutes. thanks folks!
salmon burger in rice restaurant - excellent
room typical top notch four point room and the bed soooooooooooo comfortable!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank muscletongue3000
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel at least twice before, on business, and it's consistently good. This latest trip was with my wife, on a one night jaunt to Calgary (to go to Cirque du Soleil and Spruce Meadows). I had booked a really inexpensive AAA rate, but I asked about what an upgrade to a room with a Jacuzzi tub would cost. Seeing that I was a Starwood gold card member, and we were checking in late and only staying one night, they upgraded us to one of the honeymoon suites. It looks like there are more than a couple honeymoon suites, as well as at least one "Presidential Suite", all located on the top (7th) floor.

The suite looks to be somewhere between 700 and 900 square feet. You enter through the living room area, and there are double doors into the bedroom area. As you enter from the hallway, you'll find a bathroom on one side (sink and toilet only), and a wardrobe on the other. The wardrobe functions as the closet for the entire suite. There literally was no closet anywhere in the entire suite. That is a little odd. The fact that the wardrobe is not located in the bedroom, means that you have to walk a bit from the ensuite bathroom to the wardrobe to get your hanging cloths. I've never seen anything like this before. In such a large suite, it's a bit of an inconvenience. The wardrobe is rather large, and one half houses the room safe, mini fridge, and microwave, as well. The beds are still new, and are very comfortable.

The living room side has a long desk, some storage bins (not drawers), a 40" LCD TV, sofa, coffee table, small dining table, and a small counter with a sink. The floor in our suite was a nice, dark, 3.4" hardwood. Someone didn't do the best job on the floor installation, as some boards creaked and popped when you stepped on them. The bedroom is large, and has a large ensuite bathroom. The bathroom contains a two-person jetted tub, a large shower, and the toilet is in a separate little closet. Little quirk with the sinks is that the faucets are the type that only let you control the temperature, not the pressure, so you can find yourself splashing water all over the place, depending what you're holding under the faucet. They're the type of piece that favors form over function. The bedroom is carpeted, so you don't have the floor creaking/popping when you get up at night. TV in the bedroom is the same as the living room. One robe was found in the wardrobe, and I searched the suite for another, but was unable to locate one. I thought the "honeymoon suite" would usually have two robes, but this may have simply been a housekeeping error. There were a few little things missing from their usual spots in the bathrooms, so maybe housekeeping got called away be they were quite finished.

Air conditioning in both rooms was a little loud. Fan never stopped, either. Lighting was more than adequate, except where the luggage stand is located in the bedroom. You really have a tough time seeing what's in your suitcase, back in that corner.

The Sheraton Four Points Airport has a Ric's Grill on premise, so the dining is pretty fair. We didn't dine here, this trip, but I've eaten here before. The hotel gives you a couple of bottles of water, and a newspaper in the morning, which I don't always find, so that's nice.

The hotel is new, so no complaints about wear-and-tear. Contemporary lobby. Good staff at check-in. There is some underground parking, but I've never used it. I always park out front.

Overall, only a few little quirks, but otherwise a really nice hotel, particularly for the reasonable prices that I have been charged. It's a very safe bet for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BigTipper
Fourpointsairport, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

Thank you for your recent stay with us. It was nice to hear that you received an upgraded suite during your stay.

We value all feedback that we receive because it helps us in our continuous goal of achieving excellence for our guests. With some of your great suggestions we are making changes. It was our standard to only have one robe per room but after hearing your thoughtful comments we will be changing this to include two robes in each of our suites. We are also in the process of sourcing out additional wardrobes to add into each master bedroom – the convenience that each guest experiences throughout their stay is key to our success.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel so that you can see the positive changes we are making.

Kindest regards,

Karim Sorathia

Reviewed September 1, 2011

We were here during the opening of the Stampede and some of the staff really made our first time to the Stampede with all their suggestions, they really went the extra mile to make our staff and Stampede a success. The hotel itself it beautiful and very clean. Next time we return we hope to stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Love2Travel24hrs
Reviewed August 25, 2011

You'd think that the staff at front reception would want to represent the hotel in a positive manner, but this is not the case. There was one male and female, and both were quite rude. I'd expect better service and a warm welcome from the first people you see

• Stayed: August 2011