“Nice decor but...”
Review of Centro Motel

Centro Motel
Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The rooms have certainly been updated which was nice; however, the rest of the experience was so-so.

The 'continental breakfast was lacking in dry goods...really only juice, coffee and yogurt.

The noise from the other suites was terrible...very thin walls and NO soundproofing.

The motel is not very central to anything...Subway, 7/11...that's it.

Staff was friendly and check in-out was easy.

Sorry, but I won't be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Picky_BCTraveler
exuburanceforhotels, General Manager at Centro Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with Centro Motel. We are disappointed that we did not wow you with our services and product and would love another opportunity to show you what we have to offer.

Regarding the continental breakfast, we have much more than just juice, coffee and yogurt. We offer toast with different spreads, fresh fruit, baked goods, oatmeal, granola bars and cereal.

Depending on your reasons for visiting our City, our location can be quite desireable. We are mere minutes away from the Foothills and Children's Hospitals, Canada Olympic Park, McMahon Stadium, Market Mall and Shouldice Athletic Park.

We are pleased to hear that you received the service we have become known for from our staff and that your check-out process was easy.

We again thank you for your feedback as it is our guests who help us to constantly improve Centro Motel.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

thats what the sign reads out front. I love this place - I didn't see a single roach yet I expected to see some. There was no hair in the soap - another great surprise. The room was scorching hot - the charming lady at the front desk suggested I run the air conditioner - I would NEVER have thought of that on my own so I took her advice and left for a few hours the AC BLASTING away so loud I could hear it in the parking lot which was comforting. Also comforting was seeing all the cleaning and work supplies stacked in the stairway - in case of fire it is right there so close you can trip over it. So I came back to my room after several hours and despite the noisy efforts of the AC unit...its still cooking hot. The lovely lady at the front desk explained to me that that's just the way it is but as consolation she explained continental breakfast was to be served in what appeared to be a former bathroom with the fixtures removed. The fact that the room was 100 degrees but breakfast would be cold fascinated me. As I had prepaid my room there was 'nothing she could do' but promised me the owner would call - really I hated to disturb the owner so I was glad that he never called.
I called the booking agent who offered me a refund and promised to investigate this lovely property - really it is so nice - sure it's noisy, hot, cramped, with lovely warm front desk person and it's worn out, beat up and noisy hot and cramped but hey its a boutique motel making it a great place to waste $100 a night! And to quote the front desk person "we have never had a complaint" - really where else can you stay that has never had a complaint at any price?

Room Tip: book at another place
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Omoishiroi

Thank you for sharing your outlook on Centro Motel. Perhaps your experiences at different properties would lead you to expect roaches and hair in the soap, however, as cleanliness is a high priority at Centro Motel, we are not surprised that we did not meet your expectations in those regards.

Concerning our customer service, I think it is clearly evidenced by other reviewers that our staff have become known for going out of their way to provide professional, courteous and helpful service. Our warm and lovely guests should expect no less.

As for the matter of the stairwell, we can assure everyone that they are clear and free of debris as evidenced by our fire inspection reports wherein we either meet or exceed the City of Calgary requirements.

If you found that upon check-in that Centro Motel did not fit your needs, we would have been happy to help you find accommodations at another property. Unfortunately, however, when you use a third party site to book your stay and pay that site directly, we can only assist you to obtain your refund directly from them, which our staff member tried to explain to you.

It is unfortunate that you did not find Centro Motel to meet your expectations but we hope that in your future travels to our wonderful City, that you will find that special property that suits you.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, our room was clean and comfortable. Liked the extras such as the robes and included continental breakfast. We had read other reviewers comments on noise so kept the TV on during the evening, and wore earplugs to bed and we slept really well.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank weekendescapes

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Centro Motel. We are happy to hear that you found our property to meet your expectations and needs with respect to the cleanliness and amenities. As your overall experience is important to us, we are pleased to hear that you slept well and found our rooms to be comfortable.

We look forward to the next time we can welcome you back to Centro Motel!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Firstly, this motel had everything that you need in a boutique motel. You had robes, a coffee maker, king-sized bed, TV and wi-fi.

It was a well equipped motel.

By way of recommendations, I would suggest the following:

Real "China" coffee mugs and proper gassware.

The air conditioner unit was fairly noisy, but as the temperature cooled down the sound decreased.

It was a very satisfactory night's sleep, the breakfast was continental and was included; you also had coffee downstairs.

We did not notice any noise coming from the other units. We do not know if there was actually anyone else sleeping in the units beside us so we cannot comment any further than that.

The motel is located on the Trans-Canada, it is a fair distance from the Airport, but the drive was fairly straightforward.

The neighbourhood was slightly unsettling at night, given some of the 'types of people' who were walking around the Trans-Canada after dark.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stampedepalomino
centromotel, General Manager at Centro Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of your most recent stay at Centro Motel. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience and that you found the amenities to meet your expectations.

Unfortunately due to the fact that we are a Motel and do not have on-site dishwashing, we are unable to provide anything but the disposable chinaware. We appreciate your comments, however, as it is the feedback from our guests that helps us to constantly improve our product.

With respect to the air conditioning, we are currently working on obtaining new units that will be quieter while maintaining the cooling effect that is desired in our summer months.

We thank you again for your appreciation of our unique, boutique property and look forward to welcoming you back to Centro Motel on your next visit to Calgary.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The rennovation is nice, being able to drive up to your door is nice. Free phone service is nice.

I went with a group of 15 people, 3 of the people that were up by 5:30am were the only ones that were able to have a hot shower. I was laying in bed and could hear people's conversation in the next room 'clearly' and snoring from the other side. As other people have said try and get on the second floor, because if you are on the first floor you can hear the floors creaking over your head all night as people walk around.

Room Tip: Second floor with no neighbours.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tdealexa

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Centro Motel. We notice that you have given high marks for cleanliness and service and hope that aspect of your stay met or exceeded your expectations.

We appreciate your feedback in regards to sound and water issues that you mention. As the overall guest experience and satisfaction are extremely important to us, we are constantly trying to improve on our services with such things as adding new hot water tanks and materials in-room that will dampen sound transfer.

We encourage all guests to communicate their experiences at Centro Motel with the General Manager so that he may be able to address your comments and concerns before you depart. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here for a 4 night business trip. Immediately once entering my first room I could hear my neighbors next to me because the walls were so thin. Additionally, the sink, shower, floors, every single appliance, and walls kept making noises. It almost sounded like an old house settling constantly. At 3am I was woken up to my upstairs neighbors and next-door neighbors returning from a night out. They werent being obnoxious, but the fact that the walls were so thin I could hear everything down to the sound of the girl texting. The people above me were pacing back and forth which made my ceiling creak. The sounds from both rooms were so loud that at one point I thought there were people in my room. I even recorded how loud it was on my phone to play to the staff (still have it if anyone wants proof). If this was any other motel I am certain that I would have slept through this since they werent really being loud at all - the motel was just not built to trap in sound. This went on for about an hour and since I couldn't sleep because of it I decided to see if perhaps someone was at the front desk I could change rooms since I had to work that morning. No one was at the office and so I went back to my room only to find that now my keycard does not work and I am locked out of my room. Its snowing, 4am, and I'm locked out of my room - freezing. I go back to the office and find that there is a call box. I use the callbox, however, the receiving ends speaker does not work and I can't hear any response, only a muffled static voice which breaks up with every other word. I kept calling back hoping that someone could understand that I was locked out of my room. After about 20 minutes I decided to go across the street to the other hotel to get a room there, but as I was doing so the maintenance manager showed and let me back into my room.

The next afternoon I was able to change rooms and the staff moved my belongings for me while I was away working. The room I was moved to had no issues except for that fact that it reeked of cigarettes - which is unacceptable in itself since its a no smoking facility.

I must say that the staff was incredibly friendly and on top of everything. They might have been the most sincere hotel staff that I have stayed with. It is just unfortunate that the motel had many issues. I cant say enough about how great and accomodating they were.

If planning on staying here be aware of the extremely thin walls and hope that you are on the second floor and that your neighbor doesnt have a baby or that they are obnoxious.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
centromotel, General Manager at Centro Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

We would like to start by thanking you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with Centro Motel. We are extremely pleased to hear that you found our staff so accommodating and sincere. Our owners and management feel extremely fortunate to have such caring and attentive staff members who are a pleasure to work with everyday and who understand our goals and objectives.

It is most disappointing to hear your comments about the motel itself. We did, unfortunately, have a very noisy group over the time of your stay. We appreciate that you did not feel that the group was obnoxious, however, other guests would disagree. Our quiet time is between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am and we try very hard to enforce this as we understand that rest is the most important experience for our guests. We do have a full time staff member on site 24 - 7 and he takes the issue of noise during quiet time very seriously.

We are glad to hear that the room you were moved to did not have any issues. To hear that there was a smell of smoke, however, is quite concerning as you are right, we are a 100% non-smoking facility. Our Housekeeping Team is diligent in detecting if someone smoked in a room, which is not common place, and reporting it to management. There are addiitional charges that would be applied to the guest who smoked in the room to cover the extra cleaning costs associated with deep cleaning and ionizing the room. We urge any guest who experiences anything less than exceptional to report it directly to the Front Desk so that we may have an opportunity to deal with it in a satisfactory manner.

We again, thank you for your review and positive feedback regarding your interaction with our staff members.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Location: easy to find with ample parking.

Building: looks like your typical two story Motel, but neat and sharp looking.

Room: exactly as the pictures depict. Modern, stylish and not to cramped at all. Although, a larger person may have trouble in the very narrow bathroom. The locks on the beds Wheels (yep, wheels) didn't work and the bed was moving all over the room. ;)

Service: the office is only open until 11 pm but a number is provided for any problems that may arise. On check-in, the clerk was very polite. When the wife asked about a cigarette bin outside, he came outside to show her where it is and to his dismay, " they've taken it again!!" So he put out a cup of water on the ledge outside. The clerk at check-out was also very polite and offered us a discount card for when we come back to stay someday.

Overall: I and my wife look forward to coming back someday for a couple nights next time. Thanks Centro Motel!!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room away from the main road, it got a little noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EBBurt
centromotel, General Manager at Centro Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your review on your most recent stay with Centro Motel. We are delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed our rooms and that you received the level of service Centro Motel is becoming known for.

With respect to the wheels not being locked on the bed, we apologize for the oversight. Our Housekeeping team unlocks the wheels in order to move the beds to clean under and behind them and must have overlooked the fact they did not re-lock them. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as it allows us to improve on our procedures.

We very much look forward to your return visit and another opportunity to demonstrate the value and service we provide. Thank you again for your time in writing a review on your stay.