“The best motel I've ever stayed in!”
Review of Centro Motel

Centro Motel
Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My 17 year old daughter and I were in Calgary for a competition and found Centro Motel on-line. I booked their "stay 3 nights pay for 2" special and what a great deal it was! The room was fantastic! Very clean and modern. It even had a small fridge that I wasn't expecting. Nice surprise and very handy.

I loved the small touches such as cork flooring outside the rooms and on the stairs. Really keeps the noise from passing people non-existant. And the new apple computers in the lobby are exceptional.

The continental breakfast was basic, but good. The selection on Sunday morning was better than the following 2 days, but I guess that's due to more guests.

The Motel was very easy to find coming in Hwy 1 from BC. And there were several good restaurants within walking distance. Found a tiny chinese resaurant with a delicious and affordable (under $10 each) smorgasbord, just a couple of blocks behind the motel.

People attending the same competition stayed throughout Calgary and Canmore and we had by far the best deal. Thank you Centro Motel!! I just wish there was a chain of these so I could stay at one everywhere I went.

Room Tip: Room 274 is tucked away out of direct sunlight and has nobody under it or on one side. Very quiet an...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank eggfrmr6

Reviewed August 23, 2011

I made a reservation at the centro motel in Calgary, I chose this location because they were dog-friendly.

I informed the reservations agent that I'd be arriving late on Monday night (tuesday morning) at 3:00am from a long road trip from Vancouver. She told me that although the Motel is closed over night, I can call the answering service to get a lockbox code in which my room key will be.

We arrive on schedule, and make a call to the service, only to be told that no code has been left for them to give me.

My wife and I end up sleeping in our truck for the night, and at 7:00AM when the office opened I couldn't wait to get our key and get into a bed. I was in somewhat dismay when the hotel front desk person, as nice as he was, proceeded to charge my credit card for the entire stay. Even though he said he would talk to "upper management" as it wasn't right that I should be charged the full amount.

This all being said, we get into the room, and it's fantastically appointed, well furnished, and I'm in awe there room charge is so reasonable. I guess I'll wait to see how this situation is handled... it should be interesting.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MKMcPhee
centromotel, Owner at Centro Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

I would just like to clarify for all potential guests out there that we were able to happily rectify this situation with the guest. We were very pleased that we were given a second chance to provide him with an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed our first night in a room that should have been labelled "sauna". I also found hair in the shower. It was so hot that the little air conditioner unit couldn't keep up. After not getting much sleep, the next morning we found out that the room was right above the laundry so we asked to be moved for our following 2 nights. The staff were very friendly and accomodating which was appreciated and we were able to move our belongings to our next room right away.

The next room was nice. Found hair in the shower again so I think maybe the cleaning staff don't have good lighting or they don't take the extra time to remove all hair. Other than that the rooms were very nicely decorated and very bright and clean (other than shower). We had a better sleep but I still didn't like the kind of air conditioning units they have. The air unit blows on the person closest to it so they stay nice and cool through night but everyone else suffers.

So I likely wouldn't stay again in the summer but I would in the winter and I would pick the suite above the laundry. We made it to breakfast about 9 am each morning and they were already running out of stuff. So not the best breakfast but good enough to hold you over until you get to a restaurant.

Reasonable rates! They also didn't have extra pillows available.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lana b
centromotel, Owner at Centro Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Thank you for reviewing Centro Motel. I would like to address your two concerns:

With regards the the cleanliness issues with the shower, we have spoken with our housekeeping team about ensuring that they do not overlook the shower drains, and have reviewed our quality standards for cleanliness with them.

The air conditioning unit in your suite was examined, and our maintenance manager found that it was on the fan setting during your stay, not on air conditioning. For any guests experiencing issues in the room, we encourage a quick call to the front desk so that we can quickly and happily resolve issues such as these for our guests.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back this fall or winter.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I am from Ontario and was visiting my brothers who drove in from Whistler. After driving through the night, we finally met up, and since we don't see eachother often, decided to just chill at the hotel and catch up. We looked outside and noticed that there was a nice picnic area so we took a few drinks down and started chatting. The motel didn't appear to have many other guests but nevertheless, we were quiet.

After a drink and about an hour passing, the clerk from reception came out. He walked by us several times as he was going about other things that he needed to do. After another fifteen minutes or so it started to rain so my brothers, who work maintenance at a resort in Whistler, decided to put up the large umbrella only to find out that it was broken and started to tip over. At this point, the clerk who was having a cigarette about five feet from the reception office, yelled at us to not touch or move the umbrella and yelled " you can't drink out here anyway!". Ummm .. Hello??!!! A few suggestions:
1. I am a 31 year old teacher and teach my twelve year olds how to speak to someone in a respectful and considerate manner. If that is the policy ( which he had clearly seen us doing for an hour) then come and tell us politely adult- to-adult.
2. If something on your property breaks and is about to fall on a guest's head, ask if they are alright before accusing them of breaking it!

Overall, the rooms were nice but the service left a very bad impression.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank CanadaSheRa
centromotel, Owner at Centro Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review Centro Motel. I apologize for the interaction you experienced with a staff member, and we have spoken to all front desk staff about the appropriate way to address guests. We have also fixed the umbrella as the staff member reported it broken that night, and the next day it was repaired by the owners of the property. Excellent customer service is a standard which Centro strives to achieve with all staff and guest interactions, and all staff are aware that your experience is an unacceptable interaction. We hope to welcome you back in the future and are glad that you enjoyed your stay otherwise.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

There was no hot water rufused to fix the problem and i had surgery the next morning so i didnt get to shower.The excuse was the water is heated by water. Luke warm water isnt good enough for a motel. Also the room was very stuffy and smelt old ...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank teebaby62

Thank you for your review of Centro. All rooms are newly renovated as of 2010 and have running hot water to all showers. We did experience a few days of difficulties, and will be replacing the hot water tank in the near future, but please note that rooms do have hot water each morning.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed at the Centro Motel two days. The Motel was recently renovated (2010) and it was the finest motel room I have ever seen! Good room size, bed, TV, shower and nice furniture. The breakfast is ok - cereal, yoghurt, croissants, muffins, coffee, tea and juice. You just take whatever you want. It's nothing fancy but it's pretty okay considering the price of the room.

Location wise, Centro Motel is ca. 6 km away from downtown and it takes about 15 min to get there in car. It's an easy ride and I found the location perfect since the motel is right next to the Trans-Canada Hwy 1/16 ave.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank MichaelTravelLover
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Aaaah, Centro Motel, where to begin.
An older style motel along the highway renovated with some nice fittings and comfortable trimmings just missing that finishing touch to make it a desirable destination. Not to say that it is anything short from memorable!
We were lucky enough to sample 3 of their rooms on the 1 night that we stayed. Originally having booked a king bed room.
Room 1: A wall of HEAT hit us as we opened the door, the room was well appointed and inviting, other than the heat, each room has its own air conditioner. We turned it on, it was extremely loud, we figured we would only need it temporarily while the heat subsided. We had a seat on the king bed only to find it was two single mattresses put together horizontally so there was a hard ridge across the bed. We requested a room change. Our other issue with this room was the swipe card access being broken and making a continuous high pitch beep.
Room 2: A wall of HEAT hit us as we opened the door, the room was set up really nicely the same as the first room. We turned on the jet engine/air conditioner. The bed was again 2 single beds mattresses pushed together, this time lengthwise, so I guess in some way passable. Our issue with this room was the air conditioner being not only loud, but broken, making sounds like rocks in a blender. We were told this was the last room in the motel, so we stayed as it was late. The staff member came back 10 minutes later with a cancellation on the floor below. We moved down there.
Room 3: A queen room. This room was very good, although still with the heat and the noisy a/c unit. The bed was very comfortable, nice bedding and comfortable pillows. Very clean bathroom, good water pressure in the shower and one of those all in one shower units so it was really clean with no opportunity for mould etc. The room had an LCD tele and nice feel. The remote control missing its batteries was a comical end to our experience (batteries were replaced quickly). Sleep quality was pretty average however, as the balance of noise and heat was difficult.
We had very nice staff members both in the evening and in the morning. The staff member in the evening was empathetic, friendly and did everything to try and accommodate us. The staff member in the morning was the manager and was friendly, quickly refunded our second night when we decided not to stay as well as discounting our first night.
The internet was free and wifi had good speed and signal. Continental breakfast was complimentary.
Overall this place is just missing a few touches including king size mattresses (2 single mattresses is not an acceptable compromise) the toilet seat was one of those U shaped ones missing the front (please...this is not a public toilet). Insulation (this heat was extreme, it was only 21 outside and around 26 or more in the rooms) Air conditioning (these units are not for a hotel room...seriously they are so loud it is ridiculous)

Room Tip: Queen room, and stay away in summer!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple