“The mussels are Devine.”
Review of Calypso's Taverna

Calypso's Taverna
Ranked #189 of 3,711 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had my first dinning experience at Calypso about a month ago and I have just one word " marvelous". I am crazy for mussels and Calypso nailed it. I also like when I make a reservation they listen to my requests like pleases don't put me by the front door and by the restroom.

I will be heading down to Calypso tonight see you then.

1  Thank elizabeth h

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in to Calgary sat sept 21 at approx 1930hrs and found our way to this rest based on the reviews.
When you arrive you may become slightly uncomfortable as it looks like a typical strip mall rest.
You enter to find a very esthetic feel to the surroundings.
We were seated promptly and served immediately.
The menu is well constructed, not too many items but enough to satisfy any taste.
We started with the calamari, was delicious, cooked perfectly. Moved on to the salads mine wasthe Cesar n my wife's was the traditional greek both were underwhelming, not much on the bold flavor side.
Our main courses were both Moussaka, all main entres are accompanied with vegetable, rice and a potato.
The veggies were perfect. Rice was on the bland side but presented well.
The Moussaka was one of the best we ever had! The meat was sliced and a perfect balance of potato.
Service was almost as gd as the meal :)

2  Thank Jim R
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were in the mood for something Mediterranean and after looking at TA we settled on trying Calypso's Taverna. It was a drive to get there but it was worth it; we weren't disappointed. The owners have done a very nice job creating a pleasant and comfortable dining room, the service was efficient and very welcoming, it is very much a family business and it shows. The portions are generous and well presented from start to finish. I would not hesitate to try this restaurant if you are in the mood for something Greek. We left full and happy and promised to return to smash a plate or two.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The restaurant is located in a strip mall and looks nothing special from the outside but the interior is quite different. It's quite large and pleasant. Parking outside of the restaurant is very limited but there is plenty of space on the streets in the immediate vicinity. The food was very good and the portions are huge. Four of us shared the appetizer platter supposed to be for 2 people. It was very tasty and after it was finished, my wife and I were already feeling quite full. Then came our main course....wow! We managed to eat some of it but there was just too much for us.
If you are a big eater you'll really like this place. I had a Greek coffee after the meal but it was not as good as I expected. I like it very strong but it was rather weak. Other than that, I would say that it's worth a visit if you happen to be in the area.

3  Thank 66scottie
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I had the occasion last night to catch dinner before the Loreena McKennitt concert August 12, 2013.
We walked in and got seating promptly at prime time dinner hour, with three tables in progress, and one waitress.
Before we left there were 8 tables with two waitresses.
The restaurant and bathroom facilities were clean which is a must for us.
We looked over the menu after hearing the special of the day (grilled salmon, with Greek salad, vegetables- $21.95), and decided on that for my wife and the Soutzoukakia ("Lean meatballs, green peppers and onions in a spicy tomato sauce", and a Chicken/lemon/bean soup- $16.00) for myself, with a plate of Saganaki ($12.00) as a shared appetizer. For drinks we had a glass of red wine each; my wife choosing Dancing Red Zinfandel ($7.50), and myself choosing the Lafanzi Red($7.00). Both were quite acceptable for the price range.
This was the first time we had a pita with our Saganaki, and I must admit we both felt it was superior than going it alone as is done virtually everywhere else - a bonus for that.
The meal was nicely done for both of us, my wife exclaiming how she loved how they cooked the fish properly (neither of us are raw fish people), and the sundries on her plate were "good".
My meal was excellent -although it can hardly be pronounced- with excellent rolled meat rolls with a fanstastic tomato sauce with grilled onions in a bed of rice with a Lemon boiled potato and wax and string beans. The bean oup was as forewarned- lemonny, but not overly so. I discovered a chunk of fatty skin in the mix, which I did not consume, but other than that it was a nice tasting soup. The meatroll section was superb, and very Italian like (I LOVE Italian). Typical flavours on the Potato and vegetables, however my only grumbling would be the texture and temperature of the beans. I can rarely get a everything right in a dinner with my vegetables perfectly steamed and piping hot with the meal. It just isn't common...except for the very highest end restaurants, which this one is not. It is a very relaxed low key kind of place, not stuffy.
When it came time to remove the dinnerware, they were relatvely prompt about it, but we wanted to make a prompt payment and exit so as to obtain decent parking at SAIT. This wait was 15 minutes, and needed prompting. That would be my only service related downfall, and would have rated this a full 5 otherwise.
Bill total $67.67.
We were quite happy with our meal and feel it was good value for the dollars spent.