“Great Good, Great ambience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Calypso's Taverna

Calypso's Taverna
Ranked #138 of 3,512 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Iowa City, Iowa
“Great Good, Great ambience!”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

You would never expect such a wonderful dining experience from looking at the restaurant's facade; don't be fooled go inside and eat the spanikopita! The restaurant owners/operators were wonderfully friendly (maybe too much so for some people's customer service preferences, but I liked feeling like part of the family).

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank travelcloak

Calgary, Canada
“Greek Goodness!”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I've driven down Centre Street hundreds of times and would never had stopped in had it not been for Trip Advisor! In fact, I didn't recognize the restaurant name until I looked at the address!

Let's start by saying that I'm not an expert on Greek cuisine. I can count on one hand the number of Greek restaurant I've been to, so I'll review this restaurant based on a naive perspective of Greek food without any comparison to the other Greek restaurants in Calgary such as Mykonos and the Broken Plate.

Party of 4. Ordered dolmades and stuffed calamari for appetizers. For those not in the know (like me), dolmades is a roll of rice and ground beef wrapped in a grape leaf; the grape leaf is sour. Four plump dolmades per plate and very good. I've never had stuffed calamari (stuffed with chicken and other things) before and along with the accompanying sauce was very unique and tasty.

We had two beef and chicken souvlakis. They were accompanied by a soup, rice and vegetables. Portions are fairly big. Unlike food court Greek places like Opa!, there were 5-6 chunks of tender meat pieces -- very flavorful and oh so yummy.

My brother, who's an even pickier than me, enjoyed his beef souvlaki immensely.

Overall, the dinner for the four of us cost $120. We didn't order any wine. So it's pricy but we'd probably still come back if there was a strong craving for Greek food.

1 Thank pacmanto
Calgary
“Best place in Calgary”
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I have been coming to Calypsos for some time. The food and service are fantastic. We bring our son and friends and started coming in because of all the reviews we had read,but found something even better than what is written in here. We find in a lot of Restaurants when you bring in a child you arent very welcome. This is not the case in this restaurant. We have a two year old son who asks to eat there now.And all of our friends are now loyal customers. When we walk in we are treated like royalty. The food and value are fantastic and we have some gluten sensitivities and dietary restrictions. This is never a problem there. They are always on top of everything and we especially love when we are served by Danielle, she knows exactly what we like and always has wonderful suggestions. Our baby also thinks she is a goddess...lol. It has become the place we go for any special occasion, and one that we can bring the whole family!I have to mention that the food just keeps getting better and they always have something new and tantalizing as a special whenever I go with my husband.The last time I had a Cold appetizer platter that was recomended by Danielle, it had marinated calimari smoked salmon tuna and artichokes and was served with bread,it was outstanding. I never would have tryed it if it hadnt been mentioned to me by our server. I am so glad I did. This restaurant has opened up a whole new world of culinary delights. I cant wait till our next dinner date!

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank Lovinlife93
Calgary, Canada
“best valentines day ever!”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

From beggining to the end this was a truly memorable evening, We were warmly welcomed , and they had our table reserved in a well lit spot, Our server was there for our every need and before we even new we wanted anything else she was ready with suggestions and explanations for all the food,. We enjoyed the Bornounia that was suggested, Its a dish that is made only for this holiday the waitress called it "the fish of love" It was the best fish dish I have ever tasted ! My date had the Aegean lasagna, all I can say is wow! every bite just begs for another taste. I really have to mention the service, food quality and ambience were way beyond my expectations we will be coming back a lot more with larger groups. The portions are huge, but so worth it!

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank bumlebee
Calgary
“fantastic meal”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Tonight was my third dining experience at Calypso's and each time we have really enjoyed our meals, ambiance and service. Each time I have dined with different guests. All guest have agreed the food and service is very good.
We have enjoyed the calamari, Greek ribs, kleftico, prawns and the Greek Salad is fantastic.
Very relaxing atmosphere, great service and not overly fancy and you would be comfortable in bluejeans or a business suit.
There is a parking lot right in front of the restaurant which I find very convenient.
Calypso's weekly specials are very good value, tonight we dined on roasted lamb, rice, vegetables, potatoes and a beautiful Greek salad all for $15. They have an extensive wine list and I found the prices very reasonable.
We will definitely be back again!

2 Thank Ellie J