“Fantastic Service - Exactly What We Needed”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Fantastic Service - Exactly What We Needed”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The people at Hotel Le Germain were fantastic. I booked a much needed weekend getaway for myself and my husband. I ordered a superior room (lowest level) since we would be spending our time out on the town rather than in the room. We were looking for close proximity to the Philharmonic Orchestra. It was a very short walk. I also ordered a spa package that included a couples massage in their Spa, continental breakfast, and valet parking. My husband had never had a massage, so this was a way to get him to try one. However, the spa was fully booked. The staff worked diligently to make sure our stay at the hotel was a success. They set up an in room couples massage. They gave us a complimentary upgrade to an apartment suite (highest level room). The room was gorgeous, especially the bathroom (separate shower and tub, with a tub that fills from the ceiling). They also gave us late check out (2 PM) so we spent a lazy morning enjoying the gorgeous room and hotel amenities, rather than going out on the town. The massage therapists we had were excellent. My husband is now one of the converted and has been telling everyone in town how great massages are and how fantastic Le Germain is. On our next visit to Le Germain, maybe we can convert him to pedicures. :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spower81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Calgary
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We usually book a hotel downtown if we know we are going out for our anniversary or other event. This time we chose Hotel Le Germain for our anniversary weekend. The website was easy to navigate, I liked the notices we received prior to our arrival and parking was no problem. I advised the hotel it was our anniversary and because I am a really light sleeper, I requested an end of the hall suite.
Check in was friendly and really set the tone for a cool, urban evening. When we arrived in the room, we discovered a bottle or red wine with a note from the concierge welcoming us and a happy anniversary greeting. Super comfortable bed/pillows, efficient design (I liked the pull down ironing board in the cabinet vs hauling it out), Molton Brown toiletries (haven't seen those since a luxury stay in San Fransisco), great shower and best of all, quiet, quiet, quiet!! I had a great sleep. In fact our suite faced 9th Avenue, the base of the Calgary Tower and I didn't hear a thing.
The buffet breakfast (included) the next day was delicious. Service from end to end was not what we have come to expect in Calgary; it really was like we were in a different cosmopolitan city.
However, I didn't find getting to and from the fitness center intuitive (though once your there, it's a great studio). When I finished up, I couldn't find the lift to our floor, so I ended up on our floor...in the office tower. (The Le Germain complex is comprised of a business tower, hotel and residences).
Check out was breeze. I stopped by to thank the concierge for the thoughtful wine and when I went to work, I received a lovely note inviting us back. We felt refreshed and proud our city had such a great property in an awesome location and we simply can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of a 9th avenue-facing suite assignment. Super quiet and out of the way.
Saskatoon
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in December 2013. It is right across the street from the Calgary Tower.

The hotel has fantastic beds, great views, and very upscale accommodations. It even has a mini bar in the room.

The only down side was the kitchen is only open between certain hours so we couldn't get room service or eat at the bar while we were there.

It is right around the corner from a wonderful street full of restaurants and pubs. And for a cheap price you can catch a cab to the casino which is not to far away.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Four-stars are listed for the quality and comfort of the beds, and the new, spacious bathroom. However, be warned that there are no views from the building unless you count being nearly able to jump across to the next office tower. Also, the rooms are very dark and this makes it difficult to work after hours or prepare when you are trying to get away the next morning.

Breakfast is simple but nice and included in the stay. However, given the plush comfort of the bed and robes, it is surprising that there are no slippers in the room - minor but a great convenience when travelling frequently or on business. The concierge and front desk staff are friendly and efficient - their help with our stay was much appreciated and they certainly help to make the hotel stand out. It would be nice if the hallways were quiet in the evenings - music playing can be heard even as we try to get to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a higher floor - the restaurant on the lower level is very loud.
1 Thank Time-and-Away
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My second stay at this property during a business trip. Staff are very attentive and detail oriented. Modern room and bath are very comfortable. Top marks to the concierge team - Thanks Zahara - I enjoyed the "good night sleep" goody bag.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Robert D, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Rick M,

Thank you for the positive comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the “good night sleep” goody bag Zahava left for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Calgary in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Robert D'Orazio
Director of Rooms
rdorazio@germaincalgary.com
Temuco, Chile
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here the other night for our anniversary. Great night. Nice room. Good service. I really like the modern style of the room. Valet Parking was quite expensive. Location is great. Very close to the Calgary Tower.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We arrived at this hotel after a storm prevented us from returning to edmonton. 2 adults and 2 kids. 2 nights. First night in a 1 bdrm apartment and second night in a luxury king suite. Both were amazing. Felt like I was a movie star in New York. Never seen anything so beautiful in canada and I have stayed at at least 100 different hotels. Very clean, modern convenient. Staff is incredible. We'll deserved of the 4 diamonds they have received. Great value for ur money. Overall. This is luxury at its finest. Would never ever stay anywhere else in Calgary again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family