“Exquisite little secret!”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was in Calgary on business for 5 days early in June and decided to go to this 'unknown' rather than the usual big hotel. What a magnificent, exquisite treasure. The staff are superb, the rooms are spacious and so comfortable and I appreciated having the breakfast included in the price. My only complaint would be that there isn't enough lighting in the room---actually I found it almost downright dark. I faced onto a lane-way and another tall building so there was no opportunity for natural light and there just weren't enough lights. My colleague was in a room on the other side of the hotel (overlooking the Marriot) so, even though she had nothing barring the natural light, her room was also frustrating dark. Anyway, all-in-all: a great hotel. Fabulous location, great deal.

Room Tip: Room 707 is generous and lovely but very very dark.
2  Thank 486Marilyn
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Germain Calgary

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We booked a two night stay at Le Germain Calgary to round off a 2½ week trip to Canada. We ummed and ahhed as we thought it might be a bit too hip and we were staying with our 18 month old son.
We were really pleasantly surprised by our experience. The check in staff were helpful and polite and the room we had was a great size (I think we had a larger corner room as we needed to accommodate a crib/cot).
We asked for a crib to be provided but in addition the hotel also provided a bottle warmer, diaper bin and bottle warmer. A nice touch.
The bed was huge and comfy and all of the fixtures in good repair.
Overall an unexpectedly good stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CanaryDwarf
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've had very good stays at Le Germain Hotels in Montreal and Toronto (the older one, not the new one), so I was curious to try the fairly new property in Calgary. I wasn't disappointed. Check-in was fast and friendly with a very nice room on the 7th floor. The hotel itself is in a good location downtown across from the Marriott and Hyatt, and around the corner from Stephen Avenue which is lined with boutiques, bars, restaurants, a department store and the upscale Holt Renfrew a few blocks away. Chinatown is a short walk away, as is the lovely park that runs along the Bow River. There are lots of restaurants, bars and shops on 17th Avenue, an easy 15-minute walk away from the hotel. The Le Germain itself has an excellent fitness centre on a higher floor and a good continental breakfast is included and served on the second floor each morning from 6:30 (7:30 on the weekends). My room was spacious and very well equipped with an excellent rain shower and large bathroom. There's a very large walk-in closet area which is handy for longer trips and lots of lighting choices. The mattress was a little on the soft side for my liking, but still comfortable. The large desk in the room is excellent if you need to get work done. The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful - everyone from the front desk folks, to the bell staff, concierge, housekeeping and even the security. One perk is the outstanding on-site restaurant - Charcut. The menu changes daily and the food is delicious. One drawback about Calgary is the sprawl of the city and how quiet the downtown section around the hotel gets later in the evening. We went looking for food and drink late one night and it was tough to find anything open in the area if you're a night owl.

2  Thank mikeymaki
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I arrived early and Christa accommodated me, thanks so much! What a cool hotel. Everything is unique and trendy. I just might want to move in permanently. ha ha.
Breaky included and will try that tomorrow.

The only odd thing is they charge for coffee. Ok it is a cool nespresso but $2.50 for puck. hmmmm. No worries but just has to comment.

1  Thank dlarocqu
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed here for 12 nights travelling on business. It's the longest period of time that I've ever stayed in a hotel and I can honestly say nothing went wrong, it was perfect. The hotel is expensive, but they earn their money. The staff make you feel very special. Check out the lounge downstairs and have drink, great bartenders who know how to mix a drink and provide great service (Gord and Fraser!). I tried the Charcut restaurant next door which is truly amazing, but if you're on a budget there are many restaurants within walking distance, just ask the concierge. Stephen Ave. has at least 25-30 restaurants all on a street that is usually closed to vehicles. There's also a huge indoor shopping center (The Core) that is a 7 min walk from the hotel.
The room had an extremely clean huge bathroom, with a massive shower, huge sink, mirror, and separate toilet area all divided by large sliding doors. There's also small cabinet unit near the sink to neatly store your toiletries.
They have the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in with awsome pillows.
Room has the standard mini bar, but also has an espresso machine ($2.50 charge per expresso)
Very large flat screen TV with some high def channels and pay per view moves, and my favorite function on the remote - the sleep timer. There are also jacks on the desk where you can plug in hdmi and usb and I think it transmits to the flat screen TV (I didn't use it but what a great idea if you have movies or tv shows on your laptop). Huge in room safe, that will easily fit a brief case sized bag and 17 inch laptop with no problem.
There's parking at the hotel, both self and valet with the elevators going from the garage level to room levels which is convenient. There are other parking garages across 9th street that are likely cheaper if you have a car to store and are on a budget. If you need a car, Budget Rent a car is a 5 min walk away, and has super cheap deals on the weekend ( I think it was $50 for the weekend, and I took a drive to Banff which was about 1 hr 30 mins away, and the Lake Louise which was another 35 mins further.
Heating and cooling system worked well with very responsive electronic controls in the room.
Security seemed very tight, with a security guard working at all times and monitoring and patrolling all the floors. I don't think there are any secuirity issues in the area, it's just reassuring to know that they're being proactive.
I had breakfast included with my stay, and enjoyed it very much. The well staffed breakfast room was open at 6AM (7AM on weekends) had hardboiled eggs, orange and grapefuit juice, toast, granola, cereals, pastries, warm oatmeal, cheeses, fruits, coldcuts, coffee and selection of teas
There's a good sized exercise area on the top of the building with great views, that has 3 tread mills, a rowing machine, a cross trainer, cabled weight machine, half and full balance balls, heavy bag, many dumbells up to 50 lbs, a few of benches, chin up bar with elastic tension bands, skipping ropes and kettle bells.
The hotel is located very close to the light rail transit system that is very handy for travelling around Calgary (it's $3 for an adult fair and tickets are purchased through machines at all the stops by credit card or exact change)
There's a liquor store located about 4 blocks away or 10 min walk where you can buy beer, wine and spirits, just ask the concierge they'll guide you.The Calgary Tower is directly across the street.
I highly recommend this modern, trendy, comfortable and most importantly friendly staffed hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Rmack
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at the Germain for three nights and were delighted with our Luxury Room when we arrived. We remained please with the room although there were various negatives. Firstly, as mentioned by others, it was so afflicted by "mood" lighting that it was impossible to see much. Secondly, whilst we were delighted to have a Nespresso machine, the fact that you get charged $2.50 pod is ridiculous (so, in other words, it was impossible to have a hot drink in the room without paying). Finally, the bathroom was again design over form: the bath water ran from a hole in the ceiling (no purpose to this at all!) and the door to the toilet didn't close because of its design (it wasn't just our room like that as we met someone the day we left who had exactly the same in his room).

In terms of the rest of the stay, the front desk and concierge staff were all lovely and very helpful. There was a free continental breakfast but this was shockingly bad. The first day, the oatmeal was barely warm and the second it was hot but made with a glut of salt AND cinnamon. Would much rather have paid a supplement for a hot breakfast but this wasn't an option.

On facilities, the spa had only one person doing treatments so we weren't able to book in. The gym was pretty good but probably an after-thought as it was at the top of the building and we had to go past all the air-conditioning and engineering rooms to get there. Once there, it was well equipped and nice and roomy.

Overall, they just about made it to a "four" on my review but only scraped it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SerenaGuernsey
Reviewed May 31, 2013

In the center of town in Calgary. Very modern and trendy decor. Enjoyed the bar, the room, the service, the breakfast and the restaurant. Staff very professional yet friendly. Quite pricey however. Not sure if I would pay for this again.

Stayed: May 2013