“Great location downtown with modern feel”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here a couple months ago but finally have the time to write about my stay. I stayed here for my sister-in-laws stagette and came a day early to enjoy the downtown. It is right across from the Calgary tower, so it was only a 2 minute walk outside to get there for supper. The rooms, lobby, bar, restaurant, and breakfast room are extraordinary and very modern. I will be staying here again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheTravellingTunia

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel has a young, hip, modern vibe and the rooms are well thought out with great attention to detail. We stayed in a standard king room which only has a shower, no tub which was fine for us. There was a nice walk in closet area that has upholstered panels- Nice detail that we'll be added to our own entryway. The room is very modern, with walnut panelling throughout, a large tv, nice desk area and modern furniture. The bed was extremely comfortable and the Italian Frette linens were a luxurious touch.
The bathroom was streamlined and modern like the rest of the room. There was a huge rainfall shower head and handheld, single sink, Molten Brown toiletries and Frette towels.
The room came equipped with a tivoli radio that you could plug your iphone into and a nespresso machine. I was disappointed that in room coffee was not complimentary- @2.50 per pod, something the hotel should consider changing.
The breakfast buffet was pretty good, lots of pastries, steelcut oatmeal, fresh fruit, cheese selection, ham slices and fresh squeezed juice & coffee.
The front desk staff and doormen were very helpful & attentive- had our bags sent up to the room while we parked the car and then flagged down a cab later that night.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and will come back the next time we're in Calgary.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was in town for a convention at the Telus Convention Centre and since the room block for this particular event was sold out, I decided to stay at this hotel and boy am I glad I did!

Firstly, I received an email from the concierge giving me restaurant recommendations, as per my request in my online reservation and they even went ahead and made reservations for me once I indicated which places I'd like to eat at.

When I checked in, a gentleman came out and asked me if I wanted to do valet parking ($38 but unlimited in & out privileges) or self parking ($35 but no in & out privileges). I chose to do the valet and so my bags were taken out of the car, into the hotel, and my car was taken by a very polite young man to the valet section of parking. (Subsequently, any time I needed my car, I'd call down to the front desk and they would have it ready for me in a few minutes.)

My room was on the 12th floor on the other side of where the elevators were. It was very quiet and clean. The room was so spacious and laid out well. I had 2 queen beds, end tables, a huge area for my clothes/closet, a couple of arm chairs, a desk, and a full bathroom with one of the best showers I've ever seen! The beds were super comfy - pillow top mattresses and pillows that you could sink into or use for more support (they reminded me of the pillows from the Sheraton in downtown Toronto).

The concierge came up and handed me a note a short while after I checked in. It was hand-written and it welcomed me to the hotel and ensured that all of my reservations were confirmed and ready for me to use. The customer service here was incredible!

The bathroom was huge and the shower had a rainwater head shower and a normal one. It felt incredible! I didn't really like the rolling doors for the bathroom, but I could live with it for a few days.

There was a free breakfast included in my stay, but to be honest, it wasn't that great. I'm an eggs and spinach kind of girl in the AM and all they had was toast, pastries, cheese blocks, ham, strawberries (which were great!), plain yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, and hard boiled eggs. Not my kind of breakfast, but it might work for others.

When I checked out, I was still at the convention and so the hotel kindly kept my bags at a storage locker by the concierge until I was ready to leave. Everyone was so polite and kind and offered some really great recommendations for places to shop, eat, and to check out! The price for this hotel was quite expensive (given that it was right around Valentine's day) but, in my eyes, it was definitely worth the stay. If any Groupon deals every materialize for this hotel, I'll buy the lot!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator in a quiet hall, and the front desk will hook you up. The corn...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I hate to be the only negative review of this property but we were extremely disappointed in our stay. We checked in late night and the front desk staff was shockingly rude. We asked what the valet charge would be be. He checked the computer and after humming and hawing for 5 mins concluded that parking would be $40. So it could have been cheaper or free? We were confused. Our room was beautiful and I loved the decorating. BUT the bed was really uncomfortable and the sound barrier between rooms and hallway noise was equivalent to a cheap motel. I could hear the man in the room next to us sniffling his noise all night. Every time someone opened their door it woke us up (10+ times between 2-8am on a sunday night). So after our romantic one night gate away we returned exhausted and grumpy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CanuckBunny
Robert D, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear CanuckBunny,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Le Germain. We are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your past stay. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay in more detail and to allow us to make it up to you.
Robert D'Orazio
rdorazio@germaincalgary.com

Reviewed February 11, 2013

On top of being a wonderful, modern, classy and clean hotel - the staff made the difference for me. Always ready to take the extra step to make my stay more comfortable. I recommend Le Germain for all occasions - especially business travel.

Location is fantastic and access to all major industry players is within walking distance. Award winning restaurant right downstairs, and a delicious breakfast to start your day.

Le Germain is my first choice when planning any travel to Calgary.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AlbertM356
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here this past weekend and the hotel lived-up to all our expectations.

We had planned on staying here for a while, but decided to come-out to celebrate our engagement and attend a friend's birthday party in town.

Check-in was a breeze. Lance was friendly, professional and very helpful. When we got to the room we had a card from the concierge on the desk and a bottle of Moet Chandon waiting for us, compliments of the hotel.

We thoroughly enjoyed this gift on this special occasion.

The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. They even have nespresso machines in the rooms! The "rainshower" showerhead was amazing and very relaxing.

Breakfast was delicious and we had no problem getting a late check-out. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you are looking for something different downtown Calgary this is a gem. Excellent service ultra modern decor and a short walk from Stephen Ave were there are many choices for shopping and dining. The rooms are nicely appointed and clean. Great bathroom large walk in shower and rain head and the beds have been comfortable every time. We have stayed as a couple for a weekend get away and for business with no disappointments. Booked a couples spa package one weekend which was very relaxing. Nice brunch a bit more than just basic included with the weekend package, late checkout and parking are also a bonus and no extra fee for internet. Highly recommended will go back for business and weekend getaways.

Room Tip: Corner suites have nice large desk area.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple