“High quality in downtown Calgary”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed courtesy of a client company so am not sure of the rate (superior king room), but I understand it would not have been cheap.

This is a quality, well run establishment in downtown Calgary and I'd reccommend it, especially if you want to take a break from the 'usual' Sheraton, Fairmont, Marriott etc.

Room and bathroom were stylish and had all the facilities one would want - except a bathtub. I was a bit disappointed in that. Good separate area for luggage, so the room can stay uncluttered, especially for those of us who 'live out of the suit case' rather than put things in the drawers etc.

The aircon controls were simple and the system responded efficiently. My room had a wide desk with good power / IT plug availability.

Wi-fi is free throughout the hotel. Bravo!! I am sick of paying extra for internet in expensive hotels.

The lobby bar was very crowded (as in there was 1 seat left at the bar) and noisy and I left after one drink for dinner at the hotel's well known restaurant, Char Cut. I was really looking forward to this.

Char Cut was also extremely busy and very noisy. Not having made a reservation, I could only get a seat at the 'kitchen bar' which was entertaining watching the kitchen in action, but not great for enjoying dinner (which was excellent).

Breakfast was included (it appeared, by the $0 I signed for). Not the greatest selection I have seen in hotels of this quality, but OK. The staff seemed a bit under-trained but no big deal.

Overall, a very nice hotel and stay, but I gather the client paid well for it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael076

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed at Le Geramine for 3 nights in Calgary's November winter. Check-in was a breeze which is always a good sign. Got to the room and WOW - design was contemporary and cutting edge, which I love. It was fun discovering how to do things in the room - turn on the shower, find the outlet switches, find the ironing board etc, but everything is so neatly organized. Excellent coffee maker in the room, I like the dimmer switches and one-touch lights out buttons by the bed. Free WI-FI was appreciated. Closet space was huge. Felt more like a condo than a hotel room.
Now separate comment about the shower: (as other reviewers commented about this too) - try to see if you can figure it out in less than 1 minute! Rain shower head was probably biggest I'd ever seen.
Room service so quick, so quick in fact that I had to check that they didn't give me someone else's order! I have NEVER experienced so fast a service in any hotel.
Downstairs restaurant is great to hang out, have a drink, watch the game and eat - excellent atmosphere and some little COOL quirks that you'll discover! The service at breakfast was excellent and they remembered how I wanted my tea on the 2nd day without me even asking!
Overall, a very positive experience and probably #1 hotel in Calgary as it's better than Sheraton/Westin/Hyatt which I've stayed at before. Check out was painless, was not a big deal that I left after 12pm - Shirley at the frontdesk desk was extremely pleasant.

Downsides: There has to be, so here goes:
1) mattress was a bit too soft, Westin/Sheraton Heavenly beds still the best in the business.
2) I yearned for a traditional breakfast (i.e. with fried eggs, baked beans, pancakes etc) after the 2nd night of their breakfast offering. The selection could be stepped up (boiled eggs were really cold!)
3) Didn't find a floor mat or towel to place feet on the cold floor after using the shower.
4) No pool (I could see the pool and hot tub of the Mariott across the street from my room which made me slightly jealous as I'd rather unwind by swimming rather than using a suana).
5) Room felt a bit dark.

However, don't let any of these minor gripes change your opinion - you will NOT be disappointed. It ranks in my top 3 hotels I've stayed in ever (W Hong Kong is another, to give you an idea of the caliber).

Room Tip: Room at the corners on a high floor probably brighter (e.g. corner of Centre Street and 9th Ave)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank OilMan O
Reviewed December 4, 2012

So I booked this hotel for my husband and I to celebrate our fifth year anniversary and boy did we make a really good choice. We booked the Luxury King with bath and shower room and it did not disappoint. The size of the room itself will make you go wow - the entire room is the same size as most city condo units. The bathroom is clean and massive! I love that the tub can be filled by a water outlet from the ceiling! The shower area is a good size and is accompanied by probably the largest shower head I have ever seen. No complains about the closet as its space was more than sufficient for two people. The bed, the pillows, the sheets all contributed to the best sleep I`ve had in weeks! I wish I can take those pillows home! I wish they can put in more lighting as the room felt a little dark even when we set the lights to "ALL ON".

We got to the hotel at 3:10 and were told that our room still won`t be ready for another 40 minutes. They offered to keep our luggage and wait out the 40 minutes but when I asked twice why the room wasn`t ready past the check-in time, we were finally offered the same room type but different room number. So why were told to wait when there's actually a room available? I have no idea.

Before we were handed our keys, the receptionist informed us that breakfast is on the second floor. I was surprised about this as it specifically said online that our package includes "Deluxe continental breakfast in bed" so I asked him to check. He looked at his computer and told me that the Ultimate Spa package does not include breakfast in bed. I did not feel like arguing at that point so I let it go but I hope they do better at syncing their package inclusions to avoid surprises.

Despite the check-in issue, the confusion about package inclusions, and a not-so-friendly server during breakfast, our weekend at Hotel Le Germain was still a pleasant one. It has its minor flaws here and there but overall it provides relaxing, comfortable rooms and mostly good service which makes it one of the best hotels in Calgary.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debi d
Robert D, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Hello Debi d,

Thank you for the great review and the feedback provided. We apologize for the delay at check in and have followed up with our team. Our goal is to always have a room available by 3pm the day of arrival. We have also spoken with our Food and Beverage provider to ensure that service levels always exceed guest expectations. We are always willing to adjust our service levels and improve where we need to. Once again, thank you for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Robert D'Orazio
rdorazio@germaincalgary.com

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Well I am 3 days into my 12 day stay for business and I love this hotel. So cool so perfect. It is cool enough that it is at the base of the Calgary Tower but the staff is excellent, the decor is so stylish and so comfortable. I am in a superior king room and I don't want to go home ever. It's a 4 block walk to my office at Newalta Corporation. The food is incredible and my bathroom is huge and the shower head is almost 24 inches square. I will never stay anywhere else. I have tried others and I have had the best so I can never go back to sub standard accommodations. Thank you Hotel Le Germaine

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SaskOilMan
Reviewed November 16, 2012

So I just visited Calgary for a business meeting. I usually stay at the Marriott, but this time couldn't get a room so I stayed at the Le Germain across the street. It is a European style hotel and is just very nice! The room was just amazing, bed and pillows were comfy, lighting was great, comfy chair, amazing bathroom, etc. I ate at the bar and simply enjoyed my stay. My one negative comment was that the Internet Connection is simply terrible and I wound up running over to the Marriott simply to get a good Internet connection (which was a bit rediculous to have to do). Regardless, I'm glad I stayed.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dan1718
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Hello Dan1718,

Thank you very much for the great review, we truly appreciate it. With the internet connection, may I ask where in the hotel you had signal issues? We offer wired and wireless internet in all our guest rooms, complimentary as you know. I'm curious to know if the signal issues were in public spaces. You can contact me at mschaay@germaincalgary.com. I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again for a great review.

Mark Schaay
mschaay@germaincalgary.com

Reviewed November 15, 2012

had a great time! the hotel room was so beautiful. we stayed for our anniversary and they left us a note as well as a bottle of wine! it is the first time i have got choclates by the bed:) we will happily stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janet437
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Hello janet437,

Thank you for the great review. We are very happy to see that you selected our hotel for your special occasion. We look forward to seeing you again for your next anniversary stay. If you need anything at all please let us know. Thanks again.

Mark Schaay
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've reviewed this hotel before - I visit regularly for business. It continues to satisfy - great service, good staff, elegant appointments, quiet, rooms large and comfortable, good for working in - large desk, classy bathroom (once you figure out how to turn the shower on), lovely soaps and shampoos, beds very comfortable, hotel just the right size. Jil and Zahava at the concierge desk actually went out for me on a Sunday and procured a Sunday New York Times - it's just an example of what the staff will do to respond to a request. I find the breakfast to be very good although some European colleagues felt for a luxury hotel it didn't provide as much as such a hotel should (you pay an extra $14 for an omelette for example). Two small complaints - the wooden shutter blinds are handsome but don't cut out all the ambient light. In the bathroom there's nothing to put your feet on to towel your legs off or apply body cream. Otherwise, I'm very satisfied.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor either on the west or north sides. Quieter away from 9th Avenue.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business