“beautiful”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 20, 2012

lets start at the being.... I was SO impressed. the staff was exceptional. From the conciere who helped me book my package, to the valet parking the were so attentive and helpful. I asked for more towels and they were delivered to my room in less then 5 minutes. the room was very modern. the lighting is smart and even has an ambiance setting. the bathroom is large with a GREAT shower. every space of this room is wisely used. Plush Comfy beds. Great workspace. Book it now!!!

1  Thank Simplyexpensive
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Germain Calgary

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Recently stayed for 2 nights ,excellent service ,friendly and helpful staff. Great bedroom and smart bathroom with amazing lighting.Good value ,in the heart of Calgary ,simple continental breakfast included ,although there is a good restaurant attached to the hotel for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Quaffs
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Have stayed before at the Westin, Palliser and Hyatt in Calgary. This place beats them all. Still, quite odd that in a city of Calgary's wealth, and given the number of head offices domiciled there, one can't find a global standard high-end property. In my other reviews, I have written about the extensive dowdyness of the Canadian hotel industry (notwithstanding the Four Seasons and Fairmont brands being Canadian), and questioned why a country of Canada's appeal has so few global standard hotels by way of service, architecture and refined un-affected interior aesthetic.

Le Germain was a pleasant find. What looks to be a small Quebec based boutique chain that (deliberately or by-default) is doing its bit to upgrade the Canadian dowdy hotel aesthetic. The lobby is very contemporary, perhaps striving too hard toward design affection (this is Calgary after all). The rooms are well-sized and appealing to the eye, with clean lines, judicious use of wood (tho probably its really veneer), and a very nicely designed bathroom with an awesome sink and proper stand-alone shower. Notices and advertisements were placed in proper frame holders rather than left Holiday-Inn style on the desk. Kudos for trying to give Canada better taste.

Breakfast is skimpy, and serviced in a very European style "breakfast room". I would have rather settled for the Second Cup.

That said, not perfect. The hallways suffer from the W disease, the ceilings in the room painted are dark end up absorbing too much light, the underpanel of the lounge chair in the room was pertruding out (betraying its cheap pedigree), and the staff was generally unrefined (when I called the concierge to ask some questions and make a dinner reservation at the hotel restaurant, he simply said "let me transfer you to them", and then forwarded the call. Some concierge).

The restaurant was very good- sought after in Calgary, good aesthetic, good food, knowledgeable staff...just too much obsession with bacon on too many dishes.

Net-net though, I would stay here again given the choices available in Calgary, and I commend company management for trying the shake things up a bit in the Canadian hotel industry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Globetrekker63
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Hello Globetrekker63,

We want to thank you for the review and the feedback you provided. It is clear to us that you must travel frequently and we appreciate the knowledge you have shared with us. We are constantly trying to develop and improve and can only do so through feedback such as this review.

We look forward to having you stay with us again. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance for a future booking.

Once again, thank you for the review.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a quick night's visit to Calgary. It was our first time staying at this hotel and we couldnt have been more pleased. The room itself was clean, modern and very trendy. I loved the HUGE shower head in the bathroom and the extra storage space for luggage was a great touch! The location is close to many great eats and pubs etc.. we loved that it was right across the street from the Calgary Tower. The breakfast was great as well! Plenty of food options- all very tasty! I would definately stay here again!

1  Thank TheOnlyGendy

Hello TheOnlyGendy,

We just want to thank you for the great review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. If you need anything else in the future please feel free to let us know. Thanks again.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'm not too sure what to make of this hotel. My wife and I needed a couples weekend away from Edmonton and the kids so we chose the Weekend Away Package which included Valet Parking, and Breakfast.

Now I stay probably 60-80 nights away on business and Vacation combined, from Westins, to Indigos, To Fairmonts to Marriotts so I think I know a little bit about expectations and that "good feeling".

Pros:
-Our Front desk clerk "Jeet" really did a great job and tried to make it personal. His companion beside him looked moody and snarly. Ermmm crack a smile lady.
-Bathroom and rain shower are very nice. Molton Brown toiletries were great!
-Internet was good
-Valet was efficient in and out
-Room was nice, clean and organized. Bed was very nice and so were the linens.

Cons:-
-Breakfast was okay. It was complimentary but I think if you stay the regular rate you have to pay. I would not pay 20+ dollars for the breakfast. And the Coffee service was god awful. There were three employees and they simply stood around while everyone kept waiting for their coffee cups to be filled. My wife asked twice and they simply apologized. It's only coffee but again this place has a strange vibe.
-Valet: I am always weary when I drop it off at any valet service. I drive a fast car. So I understand people want to push it, but valets should treat her like a baby. Didn't take long before I heard the roar of the exhaust and the car fly across 4 lanes of traffic. Sigh.
-My remote for the TV didn't work. No biggie. They tried fixing it but maintenance had gone home so they offered to move us. Errmm No. You want me to move because the remote is broken? Errrrr that's inconvenient. We just changed channels the old way.
-Charcut restaurant was closed due to a private function (wedding). We found out about this one day before via email. Disappointing. Private functions happens but notifying guests the day before, tricky.

Overall I'm not sure what to make of this place.
It tries SO hard yet fails in a lot of aspects when it comes to boutique hotels. And No I am not picky or demanding, quite the opposite.

Would I stay here again? No
Would I recommend this place? Maybe, with a few caveats.

Maybe it was an off weekend for the place as there are a lot of positive reviews, but we certainly were left with a "so-so" feeling about this place.

1  Thank morphius909
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Hello morphius909,

Thank you for the review and the feedback provided. I have shared the positive comment with Jeet about the check in process, he was very happy to hear.
We also want to let you know that we have shared your feedback with our entire management team. We do apologize that we were not able to provide you with a perfect stay. We really do try our best to ensure every guest is satisfied with their stay. We would like for you to stay with us again as I'm sure you will enjoy the next stay. As you mentioned in your review, we receive a lot of positive feedback about the hotel and the service. We would like to have the chance to show you this again. Please contact myself for a future booking. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again

Reviewed August 11, 2012

What a beautiful place! Our room was awesome and the bathroom was amazing! Wireless Internet was included so I could use my iPad! The room had plenty of space for computer hook up and was well placed for convenience. Nice storage for luggage! So nice not to have to cram it in a closet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This place is within walking place of several restaurants.

Room Tip: Since you are in the city you have city views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is the best hotel I've found in Calgary for the $200 price range (though you can't find a room for $200 there very often). The rooms are modern, elegant and very comfortable. The breakfasts are great. I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business