“Average”
Review of Hotel Alma

Hotel Alma
Ranked #72 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel was right on campus. It wasn't really close to anything...was quite difficult to find somewhere to eat. Parking was very limited and was a bit of a walk from the hotel. The room was VERY small; fit a queen size bed, a closet and a desk. There was a store downstairs in the lobby, which was a nice surprise since there wasn't one in walking distance, however it often closed before we even made it back to the hotel. There were vending machines, not well stocked. We still had a nice stay...the front desk was friendly and helpful. There was a breakfast bar downstairs, buffet style, which was quite delicious.The hotel was quiet, and it was cozy. However, I don't think I'll be staying there again, just because it wasn't exceptional. Too much money for lack of quality. It was average.

Room Tip: Get a room a bit higher up. We were on the 6 floor, and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Amber S,
Thank you for your review on your stay with us at Hotel Alma.
Being located directly on the Campus of the University of Calgary offers our Guest’s a unique experience, but does limit shopping options on campus. However there is Market mall which is a 5 minute ride or drive or a 20 minute walk NW of Hotel Alma. If you are ever looking for any other options for shopping/ restaurants or specialty stores, our front desk staff are eager to assist with location and directions.
As you mentioned the Corner store in our main lobby appeared to be closed any time you came back to the hotel. We understand the importance of providing easy accessible food options for guest and can always direct you to other convenience stores located on and off of campus. Although our vending machine did not have what you were looking for there is the Dining Center attached to Hotel Alma which carries more snack options and is open until 11pm nightly.
We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast. Although you found your Euro-style room to be quite small we also have one bedroom suites which are a bit more in cost but is twice the size of the euro-style room and comes with complimentary turndown service. We appreciate the feedback, and for your compliments on our service and cleanliness.
Thank you once again for your feedback. We hope you consider staying with us the next time you are in Calgary
Sincerely

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was surprised to see a Trip Advisor Award very prominent at the check-in counter.
They have pictures of beautiful pool, but it is in another building, so staying there in December as I just did, meant no swimming.
I arrived at 930 at night after a 2 hr plane delay, there was no food on site, none. The main dining area was closed, they called a few lounges on campus that were either closed or did not answer the phone. I finally ordered from a restaurant close by.
The room was small, but that is fine, more european in feel. As this is predominently a student residence, there was much coming and going late at night, i was woken up at 230 with all the door slamming and 'happiness' with the end of exams.
Clean. Staff very helpful and friendly.
Breakfast was very nice. Tuck shop is excellent, but hours are very limited.
Price is good, but amenities are limited and they do not let you know it beforehand, actually promote otherwise in their own in-room materials.

Room Tip: Take a snack and ear plugs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank territraveller1000
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Territraveller1000,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us at Hotel Alma.

We were happy to hear that you found our facility clean and our staff courteous and helpful. We pride ourselves on the service we provide to every individual staying in our Hotel.

As you noted, guests of Hotel Alma are provided with access to the Olympic size swimming pool located in the kinesiology build across the road from Hotel Alma. As going outside may not be an option some days we do have an alternative indoor route to get to the pool. Directions can be provided by our front desk staff. This alternative route will also get you access to the fitness, rock climbing and squash court facilities which are also included when you stay at Hotel Alma.

It was unfortunate that you were unable to find a place to eat on campus after your arrival. Although most eating facilities on campus are open for dinner until 8 or 9pm, the dinning center is normally open until 11pm however during the Christmas Holidays the Dinning Center is on reduced hours closing at 7:30pm. There are also restaurants within walking distance south
of the Hotel, however if you are looking to eat on campus after eating facilities have closed our front desk are more than happy assist you with find alternative means of food.

As an international student residence (Floors 2-3), a visiting scholar and short term accommodations (Floor 4) and a Hotel (Floors 5-7) Hotel Alma has a unique and diverse atmosphere not found at most Hotels. The academically driven students in our building are respectful of our operation and the Guests of Hotel Alma. We always encourage our guests to contact the front desk if they have louder than normal neighbors or encounter any disturbances which we will attend to ensure you sleep soundly.

Your feedback and time have been greatly appreciated. We hope to have you stay with us again, where you have an opportunity to take advantage of the food and recreation facilities on campus.

-Team Alma

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Clean, modern, efficient - great hotel located on University of Calgary campus (right next to Stampeders stadium).

Extremely friendly and helpful staff.

Worth the $ - you get what you pay for.

Only negative is a few might feel the rooms are on the small side - but they are very nice with modern bathrooms etc. - it was more then comfortable for me.

Room Tip: Parking is 300 m away - you might want to unload your bags then park. Ask for ticket from hotel to...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank steve u
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel is right on campus and fairly affordable. It's also very modern and all rooms are newly renovated. A couple drawbacks are that some of the rooms, namely the Euro rooms, are extremely small and tight - and noise travels very easily between them. I hit my foot a couple times just trying to navigate between the chair and desk. Also the bistro breakfast is very spartan and the regular fare at the restaurant is pretty weak. i would suggest you go to the student dining hall to get better food. Service is mixed as well - most of the employees are professional enough but I did have a couple encounters that were questionable. This is a venue that is a good choice if you have meetings on campus, especially considering the choices available nearby.

Room Tip: avoid the euro rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jurajfox
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Hello Juraj L,

First and foremost thank you for choosing Hotel Alma at the University of Calgary. As we are only 3 years old, we appreciate your feedback to assist us with improving our services.

We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities for your recent trip to campus. It was unfortunate to hear you had difficulties maneuvering the space in our euro-style room. At roughly 200 square feet the Euro-stlye room is our most compact and economically friendly room. As an alternative, we suggest that you try our One Bedroom Suites which are 400 square feet, and offer a separate bedroom and living area, and are much more spacious than the Euro-style room.

In the past we have had individuals inform the front desk regarding concern with a TV or neighboring Guest that were loud and could be heard through the wall. In these cases we have contacted these guests and request they turn their TV down and or keep their voices down as a courteous to the other Guests, which have rectified the issue. It is unfortunate we did not have the opportunity to do the same during your stay, and encourage you to contact us if there is ever anything we can do to make your stay more pleasant.

Bistro Alma is continuously updating their menu and does their best to keep items stocked for breakfast. We have passed this note to Bistro Alma management to ensure all Guests are provided with options during the complementary continental breakfast service.

We pride ourselves on providing outstanding service, and are continuously training new members who are joining our growing team. All of our individuals at the Front Desk wear the appropriate name tags to inform guest that they are still in training. We appreciate your patience while they are going through this process, and will be mindful of consistency in the service we provide.

Once again, thank you for your review. We are appreciative of all feedback.

Regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

First time at this hotel but definitely wont be my last. Excellent value for your buck! Very affordable and excellent place to have a large meeting. We have one staff dedicated to our 3 days meeting. Tim was forever busy ensuring the water jug at each table was full and we have clean glasses. When that is done, he made sure we have adequate supply of everything else! Tim is a great asset to this hotel!!!!!!!!!! Front desk staff are also very accommodating and friendly. This hotel can definitely hold its own against the larger more expensive chains internationally.

Room Tip: Rooms on level 4 and lower do not include complimentary breakfast. Wide selection of continental bre...
1  Thank pr0fessi0naltraveler
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for a conference at the U of C. Having lived on campus while attending U of C some years before, I couldn't even remember what had been at this location before the Alma!

I stayed in the 1 bedroom suite which was huge by my standards. The bedroom was large with a very large bed. Very well appointed., The small living room outside the bedroom had an uncomfortable sofa, but I didn't spend that much time in the room anyway. Love the small kitchenette and the large washroom. Very happy.

My only complaint was shortly after I got up for the conference at 5am I heard a very loud vacuum outside my room. Now, I was already up for the conference because I had to set up registration, but had I been a regular hotel guest this would have woken me up. There appears to be a lot of complaints about noise in this hotel and I can see that the complaints are not unfounded. I guess this stems from the hotel also being used as a makeshift dorm.

1  Thank WanderingBrunette
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Hello Wandering Brunette!
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our One Bedroom Suites! Many of our guests share the same adoration for these rooms as you, making them a first choice among our recurring clientele.
It is very concerning that you were able to hear vacuuming sounds at such an early hour in the morning. Please be assured that a follow up with our Housekeeping Team will be done to make certain noisy cleaning procedures like this are preformed at an acceptable time during the day.
Hotel Alma is a multiple-purpose building with full-functioning hotel rooms on the 5th, 6th and 7th floors, student rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors and a restaurant and small retail space on the main level. Just over 2 years old, the building we are housed in is a unique mixed use development project, built with the intent of meeting the needs of both students and visitors to the University of Calgary campus, all under one roof. While we are very aware of noise in our building and are working hard to reduce its adverse effects on our guests, the majority of our issues with sound do not stem from being a multiple-purpose building. The physical separation between student floors and hotel guest floors aids in preventing the sights and sounds of student life from interfering with the requirements of our business and vacation clientele.
We hope business, or pleasure, brings you wandering back to Hotel Alma very soon! Thank you again for the review.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 3 nights. I was attending a conference on campus which made this hotel very convenient. The rooms were clean and modern, although I prefer a more homelike feel, particularly when visiting my former home of Calgary, where the Rocky mountain lifestyle prevails with leather and stone decors. It was a bit too modern for the ambience of campus.
I like to have places to go to read and sit by a fireplace and there was none, unfortunately.
I really liked the wet bar and fridge microwave in the room. Would have also liked an electric kettle to boil water as opposed to using the microwave. The coffee maker made excellent small quantities of coffee.
I missed having yogurt and granola at the breakfast - the food was very fresh and delicious!
Parking is not the best and this is the only thing I would change, as it was quite a distance to walk and at night campus is really not a safe place to be walking at night alone.
The recreation Center was close by but when I went in there to use it most of the equipment was well worn and very untidy.
I realize this is a University Center so it may not be executive level, by any means .
It was noisy in the room as you could hear people in the hall and next door quite easily .
The bed was too firm for me. The linens were nice!

1  Thank SharonC_ot