“Bit of mix of dorm and hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Alma

Hotel Alma
Ranked #70 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Whistler, Canada
“Bit of mix of dorm and hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel is right on campus and fairly affordable. It's also very modern and all rooms are newly renovated. A couple drawbacks are that some of the rooms, namely the Euro rooms, are extremely small and tight - and noise travels very easily between them. I hit my foot a couple times just trying to navigate between the chair and desk. Also the bistro breakfast is very spartan and the regular fare at the restaurant is pretty weak. i would suggest you go to the student dining hall to get better food. Service is mixed as well - most of the employees are professional enough but I did have a couple encounters that were questionable. This is a venue that is a good choice if you have meetings on campus, especially considering the choices available nearby.

Room Tip: avoid the euro rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jurajfox
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hello Juraj L,

First and foremost thank you for choosing Hotel Alma at the University of Calgary. As we are only 3 years old, we appreciate your feedback to assist us with improving our services.

We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities for your recent trip to campus. It was unfortunate to hear you had difficulties maneuvering the space in our euro-style room. At roughly 200 square feet the Euro-stlye room is our most compact and economically friendly room. As an alternative, we suggest that you try our One Bedroom Suites which are 400 square feet, and offer a separate bedroom and living area, and are much more spacious than the Euro-style room.

In the past we have had individuals inform the front desk regarding concern with a TV or neighboring Guest that were loud and could be heard through the wall. In these cases we have contacted these guests and request they turn their TV down and or keep their voices down as a courteous to the other Guests, which have rectified the issue. It is unfortunate we did not have the opportunity to do the same during your stay, and encourage you to contact us if there is ever anything we can do to make your stay more pleasant.

Bistro Alma is continuously updating their menu and does their best to keep items stocked for breakfast. We have passed this note to Bistro Alma management to ensure all Guests are provided with options during the complementary continental breakfast service.

We pride ourselves on providing outstanding service, and are continuously training new members who are joining our growing team. All of our individuals at the Front Desk wear the appropriate name tags to inform guest that they are still in training. We appreciate your patience while they are going through this process, and will be mindful of consistency in the service we provide.

Once again, thank you for your review. We are appreciative of all feedback.

Regards,
Team Alma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Indonesian first
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

First time at this hotel but definitely wont be my last. Excellent value for your buck! Very affordable and excellent place to have a large meeting. We have one staff dedicated to our 3 days meeting. Tim was forever busy ensuring the water jug at each table was full and we have clean glasses. When that is done, he made sure we have adequate supply of everything else! Tim is a great asset to this hotel!!!!!!!!!! Front desk staff are also very accommodating and friendly. This hotel can definitely hold its own against the larger more expensive chains internationally.

Room Tip: Rooms on level 4 and lower do not include complimentary breakfast. Wide selection of continental bre...
1 Thank pr0fessi0naltraveler
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for a conference at the U of C. Having lived on campus while attending U of C some years before, I couldn't even remember what had been at this location before the Alma!

I stayed in the 1 bedroom suite which was huge by my standards. The bedroom was large with a very large bed. Very well appointed., The small living room outside the bedroom had an uncomfortable sofa, but I didn't spend that much time in the room anyway. Love the small kitchenette and the large washroom. Very happy.

My only complaint was shortly after I got up for the conference at 5am I heard a very loud vacuum outside my room. Now, I was already up for the conference because I had to set up registration, but had I been a regular hotel guest this would have woken me up. There appears to be a lot of complaints about noise in this hotel and I can see that the complaints are not unfounded. I guess this stems from the hotel also being used as a makeshift dorm.

1 Thank WanderingBrunette
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Hello Wandering Brunette!
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our One Bedroom Suites! Many of our guests share the same adoration for these rooms as you, making them a first choice among our recurring clientele.
It is very concerning that you were able to hear vacuuming sounds at such an early hour in the morning. Please be assured that a follow up with our Housekeeping Team will be done to make certain noisy cleaning procedures like this are preformed at an acceptable time during the day.
Hotel Alma is a multiple-purpose building with full-functioning hotel rooms on the 5th, 6th and 7th floors, student rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors and a restaurant and small retail space on the main level. Just over 2 years old, the building we are housed in is a unique mixed use development project, built with the intent of meeting the needs of both students and visitors to the University of Calgary campus, all under one roof. While we are very aware of noise in our building and are working hard to reduce its adverse effects on our guests, the majority of our issues with sound do not stem from being a multiple-purpose building. The physical separation between student floors and hotel guest floors aids in preventing the sights and sounds of student life from interfering with the requirements of our business and vacation clientele.
We hope business, or pleasure, brings you wandering back to Hotel Alma very soon! Thank you again for the review.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 3 nights. I was attending a conference on campus which made this hotel very convenient. The rooms were clean and modern, although I prefer a more homelike feel, particularly when visiting my former home of Calgary, where the Rocky mountain lifestyle prevails with leather and stone decors. It was a bit too modern for the ambience of campus.
I like to have places to go to read and sit by a fireplace and there was none, unfortunately.
I really liked the wet bar and fridge microwave in the room. Would have also liked an electric kettle to boil water as opposed to using the microwave. The coffee maker made excellent small quantities of coffee.
I missed having yogurt and granola at the breakfast - the food was very fresh and delicious!
Parking is not the best and this is the only thing I would change, as it was quite a distance to walk and at night campus is really not a safe place to be walking at night alone.
The recreation Center was close by but when I went in there to use it most of the equipment was well worn and very untidy.
I realize this is a University Center so it may not be executive level, by any means .
It was noisy in the room as you could hear people in the hall and next door quite easily .
The bed was too firm for me. The linens were nice!

1 Thank SharonC_ot
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Room clean and comfortable, has a fridge and microwave. My only complaint is the bed, it's a little more firm than I like. Decor very modern. Continental breakfast has been nice, fruit, toast, hard boiled eggs, Danishes, croissants and your usual beverages. Within walking distance to Foothills hospital, grocery stores and shopping. Now walking distance to me is under 3km so keep that in mind if you don't like those distances. I think this hotel is very good for price and location for what I needed!

1 Thank Skibunnymommy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference nearby. Parking is a 5 minute walk away and they charge $8 a day for it. On first glance, the room seemed pretty nice...but as I settled in I became increasingly uncomfortable. It is very loud in the rooms, you can hear noise from the hallway as if there isn't even a door there. While the obvious stuff (floor, mirrors, linens) seemed clean, when I picked up the remote it was covered in this gross sticky substance and the spoon for the coffee had a coffee ring stain on it and obviously hadn't been touched since the last stay! I couldn't connect to the wireless internet and when I called the front desk, although they were courteous and wanted to help, it basically boiled down to "our network doesn't like apple products" and I just had to deal with not having wireless. Just when I thought the place couldn't get any worse...on the windows there were these ultra-modern panels that are supposed to slide, but they were broken and wouldn't slide across all the way so I slept with the parking lot light shining in. After spending the day in a conference I was looking forward to relaxing in my room, but when I arrived back at 4:30 p.m. (!!!) the cleaner was in the middle of cleaning the room. The cleaning staff are obviously overworked/understaffed and can't do a proper cleaning job or get it done in a reasonable time frame. You can find a much nicer hotel in Calgary for the same price, don't stay here!

2 Thank Bethadone
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hello Bethadone,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor!

Let us first say that reading your review was extremely disheartening. It is completely unacceptable that you found the remote and utensils in your room in the state in which you did. Please be assured this neglect of service has been brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager who will be following up with our Housekeeping Staff in regards to these issues. Upon reviewing our records, we were not able to locate any indication that you had contacted the Front Desk in regards to the grievances endured during your stay, which is unfortunate as we would have liked to have the opportunity to rectify them immediately.

As with any hotel, there are rooms which are closer to high traffic areas like the elevators, vending machines etc. which make them more vulnerable to higher levels of noise. Had the noise level of your room caused you such an inconvenience, we would have been more than willing to move you to a quieter room.

While Apple products do have some difficulties connecting to the university’s wireless network, there are a few settings that can be adjusted in order to allow for better access to the internet. On occasion, adjusting the settings does not always yield access to the internet, as the root of the problem lies in the configuration of the Apple devices themselves. Our IT team is aware of this issue and is working diligently to try and realize a solution. In the interim, all rooms are equipped with wired Ethernet cables. We do also have a guest computer in our lobby available for use 24/7.

It was very upsetting to learn that you had such a struggle with your blinds, especially to the point where you were forced to endure a night of sleeping with them stuck open. Please know we would have been able to have someone attend to the blinds immediately had you contacted the Front Desk to inform us that they were malfunctioning.

Our regular Housekeeping staff work from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm each and every day. Typically room service is conducted in the early afternoon but there are times, due to unforeseen circumstances, where room service may run into the late afternoon. We apologize that your room was not serviced at a time that was convenient for you. Please be assured we have adequate staffing in our Housekeeping department and have someone available to attend to guest needs 24/7.

Once again we do apologize sincerely for the inconveniences you endured during your stay with us here at Hotel Alma. We hope that should you return to Calgary you would grant us the opportunity to wow you with our service and improve your opinion of us.

Team Alma

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The first night was horrendous with roofers waking us at 7am and functions in the room not working, but after complaining everything changed. They dropped the first night invoice and things really improved in the restaurant. We even had a dinner with faculty there and it was pleasant. The all-modern decor is fun and solid, though at times whimsical—great for a university.

The location is good for taxi service and walking throughout the university. Also good for rapid transit into Calgary downtown and suburbs. Bad connection to the airport (taxi only so far).

Strangely, some faculty and staff at the university do not know that the hotel exists. In the future there will be a hospitality degree offered with this on-campus establishment.

Room Tip: Never the top floor if there are roof repairs going on.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KyotoBound
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello Kyoto Bound,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor!

We do apologize that you were awoken by construction noises at such an early hour. Typically we are able to coordinate with our maintenance team to have them begin work closer to 9 AM, in order to accommodate our guests who are still sleeping before this time. Please be assured we understand the inconvenience of being woken before you desire to be and have followed up with all members of the maintenance team to ensure they are fully aware of a 9 AM start time here at the hotel.

While we do our best to ensure everyone on campus is in the know about Hotel Alma, via advertisements, billboards and updates in a weekly e-mail based newsletter sent to all staff and students, there are still a few who are unaware that there is a full-functioning hotel right in their backyard.

As you mentioned, taxi is the most convenient mode of transport between the hotel and the airport. There is also a private shuttle company, BP Shuttle, which offers service to and from the hotel to the airport. Reservations are required and can be made by calling the company directly. Also, guests may use Calgary Transit to travel between the hotel and the airport. Total time for this trip is around 90 minutes and does require a transfer downtown.

It brings us great pleasure to hear that we were able to rectify the issues you were facing with your stay in a manner which allowed you to enjoy the rest of your time here at Alma. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!