“Convenient location for my conference on campus.”
Review of Hotel Alma

Hotel Alma
Ranked #71 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 3 nights. I was attending a conference on campus which made this hotel very convenient. The rooms were clean and modern, although I prefer a more homelike feel, particularly when visiting my former home of Calgary, where the Rocky mountain lifestyle prevails with leather and stone decors. It was a bit too modern for the ambience of campus.
I like to have places to go to read and sit by a fireplace and there was none, unfortunately.
I really liked the wet bar and fridge microwave in the room. Would have also liked an electric kettle to boil water as opposed to using the microwave. The coffee maker made excellent small quantities of coffee.
I missed having yogurt and granola at the breakfast - the food was very fresh and delicious!
Parking is not the best and this is the only thing I would change, as it was quite a distance to walk and at night campus is really not a safe place to be walking at night alone.
The recreation Center was close by but when I went in there to use it most of the equipment was well worn and very untidy.
I realize this is a University Center so it may not be executive level, by any means .
It was noisy in the room as you could hear people in the hall and next door quite easily .
The bed was too firm for me. The linens were nice!

1  Thank SharonC_ot
There are newer reviews for Hotel Alma

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Room clean and comfortable, has a fridge and microwave. My only complaint is the bed, it's a little more firm than I like. Decor very modern. Continental breakfast has been nice, fruit, toast, hard boiled eggs, Danishes, croissants and your usual beverages. Within walking distance to Foothills hospital, grocery stores and shopping. Now walking distance to me is under 3km so keep that in mind if you don't like those distances. I think this hotel is very good for price and location for what I needed!

1  Thank Skibunnymommy
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference nearby. Parking is a 5 minute walk away and they charge $8 a day for it. On first glance, the room seemed pretty nice...but as I settled in I became increasingly uncomfortable. It is very loud in the rooms, you can hear noise from the hallway as if there isn't even a door there. While the obvious stuff (floor, mirrors, linens) seemed clean, when I picked up the remote it was covered in this gross sticky substance and the spoon for the coffee had a coffee ring stain on it and obviously hadn't been touched since the last stay! I couldn't connect to the wireless internet and when I called the front desk, although they were courteous and wanted to help, it basically boiled down to "our network doesn't like apple products" and I just had to deal with not having wireless. Just when I thought the place couldn't get any worse...on the windows there were these ultra-modern panels that are supposed to slide, but they were broken and wouldn't slide across all the way so I slept with the parking lot light shining in. After spending the day in a conference I was looking forward to relaxing in my room, but when I arrived back at 4:30 p.m. (!!!) the cleaner was in the middle of cleaning the room. The cleaning staff are obviously overworked/understaffed and can't do a proper cleaning job or get it done in a reasonable time frame. You can find a much nicer hotel in Calgary for the same price, don't stay here!

2  Thank Bethadone
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Hello Bethadone,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor!

Let us first say that reading your review was extremely disheartening. It is completely unacceptable that you found the remote and utensils in your room in the state in which you did. Please be assured this neglect of service has been brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager who will be following up with our Housekeeping Staff in regards to these issues. Upon reviewing our records, we were not able to locate any indication that you had contacted the Front Desk in regards to the grievances endured during your stay, which is unfortunate as we would have liked to have the opportunity to rectify them immediately.

As with any hotel, there are rooms which are closer to high traffic areas like the elevators, vending machines etc. which make them more vulnerable to higher levels of noise. Had the noise level of your room caused you such an inconvenience, we would have been more than willing to move you to a quieter room.

While Apple products do have some difficulties connecting to the university’s wireless network, there are a few settings that can be adjusted in order to allow for better access to the internet. On occasion, adjusting the settings does not always yield access to the internet, as the root of the problem lies in the configuration of the Apple devices themselves. Our IT team is aware of this issue and is working diligently to try and realize a solution. In the interim, all rooms are equipped with wired Ethernet cables. We do also have a guest computer in our lobby available for use 24/7.

It was very upsetting to learn that you had such a struggle with your blinds, especially to the point where you were forced to endure a night of sleeping with them stuck open. Please know we would have been able to have someone attend to the blinds immediately had you contacted the Front Desk to inform us that they were malfunctioning.

Our regular Housekeeping staff work from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm each and every day. Typically room service is conducted in the early afternoon but there are times, due to unforeseen circumstances, where room service may run into the late afternoon. We apologize that your room was not serviced at a time that was convenient for you. Please be assured we have adequate staffing in our Housekeeping department and have someone available to attend to guest needs 24/7.

Once again we do apologize sincerely for the inconveniences you endured during your stay with us here at Hotel Alma. We hope that should you return to Calgary you would grant us the opportunity to wow you with our service and improve your opinion of us.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The first night was horrendous with roofers waking us at 7am and functions in the room not working, but after complaining everything changed. They dropped the first night invoice and things really improved in the restaurant. We even had a dinner with faculty there and it was pleasant. The all-modern decor is fun and solid, though at times whimsical—great for a university.

The location is good for taxi service and walking throughout the university. Also good for rapid transit into Calgary downtown and suburbs. Bad connection to the airport (taxi only so far).

Strangely, some faculty and staff at the university do not know that the hotel exists. In the future there will be a hospitality degree offered with this on-campus establishment.

Room Tip: Never the top floor if there are roof repairs going on.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KyotoBound
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Hello Kyoto Bound,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor!

We do apologize that you were awoken by construction noises at such an early hour. Typically we are able to coordinate with our maintenance team to have them begin work closer to 9 AM, in order to accommodate our guests who are still sleeping before this time. Please be assured we understand the inconvenience of being woken before you desire to be and have followed up with all members of the maintenance team to ensure they are fully aware of a 9 AM start time here at the hotel.

While we do our best to ensure everyone on campus is in the know about Hotel Alma, via advertisements, billboards and updates in a weekly e-mail based newsletter sent to all staff and students, there are still a few who are unaware that there is a full-functioning hotel right in their backyard.

As you mentioned, taxi is the most convenient mode of transport between the hotel and the airport. There is also a private shuttle company, BP Shuttle, which offers service to and from the hotel to the airport. Reservations are required and can be made by calling the company directly. Also, guests may use Calgary Transit to travel between the hotel and the airport. Total time for this trip is around 90 minutes and does require a transfer downtown.

It brings us great pleasure to hear that we were able to rectify the issues you were facing with your stay in a manner which allowed you to enjoy the rest of your time here at Alma. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

This is an attractive hotel with modern decor, free wifi and free breakfast. The staff are very pleasant and try hard to please. However I think the hotel is pretty new so there are some things they are not sure of yet. After 24 hours our air conditioner still hadnt been repaired and was stuck on 25 degrees; the staff took an hour to sort out how i could get the message on my room phone - when I finally got the message it was the front desk asking if our aircon was fixed! The beds are pretty small and we really didn't sleep well. Once the staff have sussed these sort of details it will be a good small hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank tui52
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Ki ora Tui52!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor! We are honoured to receive a review from travelers as far away as New Zealand and are pleased to hear you enjoyed our staff, the amenities offered with your room style and the décor of our hotel.

It was greatly disheartening to learn of the issues you endured with your Air Conditioner and voicemail during your stay at Hotel Alma. Our records show that while the actual problem with the Air Conditioning Unit in your room was not remedied within 24 hours of it being mentioned to the Front Desk, you were room changed within this time frame to a different room, with no further issues being reported in regards to the temperature of your room. It was because of this room change that we endured a complication within our computer system in accessing the voicemail left for you earlier on in the day by our Front Office Manager. We do apologize that it took some time for you to receive the voicemail after your room change and assure you we have worked with our IT team to find a viable solution to this problem. This voicemail indicated that our maintenance team unfortunately was not able to fix the Air Conditioner that day and asked you to please contact and or stop by the front desk in order to discuss what would be the most convenient option moving forward, i.e. a room changing to a different room, placing a fan in the room etc.

Once again we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you endured during your stay with us. We hope should your travels bring you over the ocean to Calgary sometime in the future, that you would choose to stay with us at Hotel Alma again.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Located at the University of Calgary, this property is the perfect location for any UoC parent visit. The building is home to many international students yet the feeling is more of a hotel than a college dorm. The room was nicely appointed. The staff was wonderful. Everyone was courteous, always greeting us with a cheery hello and a smile. They were very knowledgable and helpful. Housekeeping staff was very attentive to details.

For us, this was a terrific location, at a great price, and will be always be our "home" in Calgary.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank LisaE24
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Like many of the reviwers, I have stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a conference at the university. Rooms are small but functional. It has both LAN and Wifi. The desk is large enough to do business. I would also like to mention that the beds are very comfortable. With frendly and efficient staff, it is a perfect place to stay if you are attending a conference at U of C. However, there are some items which made me hesitant to rate this property "Excellent". First, as somebody else has also pointed out, the sink is too shallow and thus not practical (See pictures). Second, though it is not a problem of the hotek itself, the hotel is not served by hotel shuttle which takes you to other major Calgary hotels from the airport at CAN$15. Instead, we have no choice but to take a taxi if we have a suitcase (which costs around $40).

Room Tip: Book high floor rooms if possible as they are less noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business