“One of Calgary's top spots!”
Review of The Calgary Zoo

The Calgary Zoo
Ranked #8 of 306 things to do in Calgary
More attraction details
Owner description: From the splendor of the Rocky Mountains to the heart of Destination Africa, The Calgary Zoo takes you to see almost 900 animals from around the world. Trek through the gorilla’s rainforest, safari over the Savannah to watch the hippos swim, or climb the Canadian Wilds to see a grizzly bear. Cool off and get beak to nose with 4 species of penguins in our popular Penguin Plunge or visit endangered red pandas and amur tigers in Eurasia! Wind down your trip with a walk through our fragrant Dorothy Harvie Gardens or sit with the butterflies in ENMAX Conservatory. You'll love knowing that every visit helps protect endangered animals at home and in the wild. NEW in 2017 is the unique and immersive permanent Land of Lemurs exhibit. Coming in 2018 are the iconic giant pandas!
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Calgary Zoo is gorgeous, large, and very visitor friendly. I have been numerous times in my life (both during the summer and during the winter for Zoolites) and I love it every time. The admission price is steep... and perhaps too expensive. But the experience is awesome, there are a ton of great animals, and I would recommend this as a stop to anyone visiting Calgary!

There are newer reviews for The Calgary Zoo

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My family loves going, we all are Zoo pass holders so we got every few weeks! My daughter loves it and is learning so much about animals everytime we go. We always try to take in one of the learning events. Even my husband enjoys going, its fun for everyone!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Regular admission for adults is a whopping $22 – but flashing my Hostelling International membership card cut the price in half. It was a very cold and quiet day and I headed straight for Penguin Plunge, an indoor/outdoor exhibition space that on the weekends and during the summer attracts thousands of people a day who wait up to 90 minutes in order to spend 15 minutes inside with the manufactured rock formations and glass-walled swimming areas. Oh yeah, and four kinds of penguins: King, Gentoo, Humboldt, and Rockhoppers.

I had the place almost to myself; only a couple of other visitors passed through while I studied my new friends, all of us watched carefully by volunteers eager to talk about their charges. Once in a while there is some chatter from the Humboldts or a howl from a King as they walk around. When they dive into the water, they glide at hide speed despite their sometime clumsy on-land waddle, except for the Rockhoppers, who do hop from rock to rock.

One of the volunteers told me some of the King penguins came from a zoo in Texas, which meant that when they got to Calgary, they experienced snow for the first time and quite enjoy it, staying outside in the snow most of the day. The Gentoos also like the snow, while the Humboldts prefer the slightly warmer inside area.

The Calgary Zoo covers a lot of ground, and while most of the outdoor areas were closed due to the snow and cold, most of the large indoor areas were busy with birds and animals from around the world – finally got to see an Andean condor, and although the enclosure was quite large, I felt bad it was not free to soar high among the mountains of Peru. That’s the problem with zoos and why I mostly avoid them, so I’m conflicted recommending everyone go see Penguin Plunge on a cold weekday when you can have the place to yourself.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am very proud of our world class zoo, there is so much to see! They do an excellent job of keeping the exhibits healthy for the animals, and providing plenty of variety for the visitor. The penguin exhibit is top-notch, but my personal favourite is the Canadian Wilds. All in all a great place to visit with any group!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This visit was before our favorite penguin, Asa, passed away. RIP Asa.

We are zoo pass holders so we go quite often. This time, our intention was to watch the Penguins March! A cute display of penguins walking in a little parade. It was busy, 11am on Saturdays. But the Penguins were adorable, and so worth taking the kids with!! What an adventure.

The zoo itself is nice and you get to see lions and tigers and bears in the open - in the SNOW! It's kind of strange in the winter but still unique.

The children have a blast in the indoor enclosures and the outdoor areas and we can't wait to go back every time!

It's the only zoo in the city so it's fun for the kids.

Big highlights - Wolfs, Cougars, Snow Leopards and the rest of the Canadian Wilds exhibits where you get to walk in the 'Owls Cage'!