“Authentic yet a challenge”

White Elephant Thai Cuisine
Ranked #89 of 3,756 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Description: Dinner only Monday 5 PM-8.30 PM Closed every Sunday
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had super high hopes of eating at what seemed to be the most authentic Thai restaurant in the city according to reviews and even though that I would not argue that it was very authentic (in that once seated you could quite easily imagine that you were in a "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant right in Thailand). To me the restaurant experience is all about "everything"; the journey to the restaurant, stepping into the place, being greeted or not depending on the venue and sitting in anticipation of a great meal. This is where it failed for me at The White Elephant and the food just did not make up for the lack of everything else. I would be uncomfortable saying that I really enjoyed myself because to be honest I just did not. In this case I would sacrifice some authenticity for an overall better dining experience regardless of how good the value is. Maybe it is me because I do feel bad not speaking more highly of this place.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you enjoy good Thai food, White Elephant is a hidden gem! It is located inside what I would call an old, burned out commuter motel. You would never in a hundred years drive by this place, see their sign, and say "hmm Thai sounds good, let's eat here." It just doesn't look all that inviting from the outside, but we were sure glad we researched it ahead of time and decided to stop by.

It's not a big place but it tends to be busy. In fact we were lucky to get in. We showed up and they asked if we had reservations. Fortunately they had a last minute cancellation and they were able to squeeze us in.

The food was outstanding to say the least, and reasonably priced. Service wasn't the greatest I've ever had, perhaps a little slow, but it wasn't so bad that I'd call it a show stopper. Even our 7-year old daughter enjoyed the food.

I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

You NEED a reservation. Period. It's so worth it. Having been to Thailand a couple of times, I can honestly say this is the best Thai food in the city. Huge portions too. The ambiance is lacking, but the flavors make up for it. Will defiantly be back. Panang Prawn curry was divine, as was Tom Yung Soup.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We'd tried to get in to the White Elephant one other time when we were in Calgary but couldn't so this time we made a reservation ahead of time. The food was excellent and quantities generous. Both the dishes we had were so good that when we return we will have a difficult decision to make--do we repeat them or chose other of their interesting options. We ate there the night before flying out of Calgary for a 10-day holiday. The meal there far surpassed the meals we had for the next 10 days.

1  Thank happywanderer2468
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived on a Friday at around 5:30 and were fortunate to get a table, as most of the restaurant was either full or reserved. The atmosphere was friendly and casual, as this was clearly a family type operation. The Thai beer was mild tasting(which I liked), but very good. I ordered the stir fried curried mixed vegetable with fried tofu. It arrived pipping hot, mildly spiced
and it was delightful. The waiter(also one of the owners) suggested the coconut rice. It had a warm sweet nutty taste and was easily best rice I have ever had. The restaurant is nicely decored, but not fancy and is located in a very ordinary hotel in the NE commercial district near the airport. Don't let it's plain appearance fool you, the focus is on the food and it is top notch.They do take out as well
Reservation are a must, several groups were turned away while we were there.

1  Thank Histojim