“Diamond in the rough” 5 of 5 bubbles

Description: Dinner only Monday 5 PM-8.30 PM Closed every Sunday
Calgary, Alberta
“Diamond in the rough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a fantastic restaurant... in terms of the food. But I love places like this that are very unassuming and surprise you with great taste. You can get a family run feel to it, although the service was quite slow. However it was a Friday night and it was busy, no surprise.

It's found in an ugly hotel you likely would never want to stay in and there is absolutely nothing fancy about the place. But the flavours are fresh, you can tell they take pride in their cooking, and I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Visited August 2012
6 Thank PB69

Alberta, Canada
“Always a HIT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I used to drive by this restaurant every single day on my way to work but never ventured near it because the Inn that its located in looks kinda sketchy... After visiting Thailand myself and then finding a love for some of the Thai dishes, I came home craving it. I looked up the White Elephant and saw that it had really good reviews so I gathered up a couple of girl friends and we all went for dinner. I have to say, we were very lucky to get in. We didnt have a reservation (MAKE ONE!!) and just happened to get a table but by the time we left there was a line out the door. The staff were wonderful, friendly and helpful with all our questions about the menu. The food was AMAZING!! It was a busy and bustling atmosphere but I had great food and great company so it was def. worth the 5 stars for me. I have since eaten there (often call order and go pick up since its two blocks from my house) and I havent been disappointed yet!! I say look past the outside crumbly building and go have an amazing meal inside!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pixcee
Syracuse, New York
“Good food, poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Many people write about the location (which is not great) but I thought it was fine and even a bit unique. The food was good. As far as service, we were given the wrong entre's two different times and served after an entire family who ordered after us was served. The wait staff did not acknowlegde the delay or the errors and charged us extra for rice (which was strange). I'll try another place next time in Calgary.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JW2326
Calgary, Canada
“simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great home-style food, made fresh with herbs, produce, and if you order it, seafood, shipped from the family farm in Thailand.
If you're into seeing and being seen in a trendy, ambiance-dripping place with rattan decor, a fancy bar, big prices, little portions, and the obligatory photos of the Thai royals on the walls, pass on this place.
If, on the other hand, you're into great authentic food, big portions, reasonable prices, a friendly staff, and a leisurely meal, and you're not daunted by walking through the tired lobby of a less-than-desireable hotel to get there, then head to the White Elephant. I do...very often.
Be sure to call for a reservation, and be prepared to wait for your food...they cook one dish at a time.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank peripatetic43
Dallas, Texas
“Was not so happy!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I am an avid admirer of Thai Food. During my recent visist to Calgary, I stayed at a hotel which was very close to the White Elephant. Having read such good reviews, I decided to have my dinner there on my first day in Calgary.

This restaurant is located in a run down hotel called Point Inn on 19th St NE and Barlow Trail.
The dining area is probably made up of two adjacent rooms. Ambience ? The tables were located very close to each other.

On Friday, I arrived at about 7:00 PM. A young kid perhaps 13 years of age, told me that they were full. No take out order were available either. I asked him what time should I come back. He told me about 8:15 PM. So I went there at 8:15 PM. The same kid told me that there was a table availabel but it would take 50 minuted for the food to be prepared !!. So I left . Next day I made reservation on phone. And I was able to sit on a table which was in between two aisles.

I asked the kid for the Canadian beer which was listed in their menu. He said only beer available is the Thai beer which was the most expensive! So I ordered that. Later on I saw a cooler behing the counter which had at least three different types of beer bottles on the top shelf which I was able to see from where I sat.

The beer was cold and was served in a frosted mug. Slightly sweeter.

Then I ordered the Thai Salad. The kid said it was not available!! So I ordered the Spring Rolls.Their taste was rather bland.

For the main course, I ordered Panag Curry. It was very watery and did not taste as good as the curries I had. For the desert I had their home made Coconut Icecream. Again it was good but not great!!

The bill came out be about 34 CADs.

This place is very small and gets busy. So do make a reservation.

• Visited July 2012