“Never even got to eat!! :(”

White Elephant Thai Cuisine
Ranked #198 of 3,529 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Description: Dinner only Monday 5 PM-8.30 PM Closed every Sunday
“Never even got to eat!! :(”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We have seen the amazing reviews and so followed suggestions to eat here but we we're asked to leave without even getting our food!!

We sat down, 7 of us, and not one single person greeted us or even came to take our drink order. After reviewing the menu and sitting for a good 20 minutes the cook came out to talk to us. She proceeded to say that the health inspector made her throw out all her prep food and she couldn't keep up with the 4 tables that were seated in the restaurant!! We were shocked!

In all fairness they were polite and apologetic in the end. There were 3 tables out of the 4 asked to leave. We MIGHT go back again but it makes me very worried that the health inspector saw something that violated the health code though so I will be thinking twice about going there the next time.

2 Thank Tls73

“Number 1 for a reason!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

As soon as you walk in and are welcome by the staff you know you'll have one good experience. Service is fast and very good quality, food is incredible! I'll definitely be back.

Calgary, Alberta
“Don't judge a book by it's cover!”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

While growing up in Vancouver and being spoiled by hundreds of choices for quality Asian cuisine I continued my endless search for the same here in Calgary last night at the White Elephant Thai Cuisine. I was very curious about this one in particular as it's very rare to see a restaurant held in such high regard.

I will start with the negatives as they will literally take up two sentences and I am not even sure they are negatives as they didn't have any effect on my actual dining experience. The restaurant seems to go by two names which could be confusing for some. The big Best Western sign that can be seen from the street has "Krua Thai" underneath it and it is not until entering the parking lot that you see the signs for the White Elephant. This could be a little confusing if inviting some friends a long. The second is location. This restaurant is not located in the best of locations and this may keep some people away. I myself see the positives of it being easy access with free parking but I imagine if it were in a more attractive part of the city it may be a lot busier. Are these negatives???

We ordered 3 pints of beer, 3 glasses of wine, a hot pot hot and sour soup for four, yellow curry, coconut rice, pad Thai, garlic beef and the homemade banana spring rolls with coconut ice cream that is not on the menu! All of this for a very affordable $99. The food was absolutely incredible. The service was top notch as the owner came over several times to see how we were doing and seemed quite proud of his dishes and explained how they were created and where he gets his ingredients from. He has his seafood and vegetables flown in on Air Canada from the family farm back in Thailand. Amazing!!!

This is now my new favorite Thai restaurant in Calgary and I don't see any point in dining at any of the others. I will be going back to the White Elephant many more times!

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank JerDog
Monroe, LA
“OUTSTANDING!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Quality, taste, price fabulous! Located in a Best Western but this is a privately-owned establishment.
the owner came to the table and offered help with the listed dishes as well as offering to prepare other dishes. We all (4) ate more than we should have for about 20.00 each, including two Thai and one wine. As we are from Louisiana we probably won't be back but if we should be this is where we will eat.
Highest recommendation!.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank thewallusa
Alberta
“Mmmmmmmm Fresh tastes so good!”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Wow & once again Thank you trip advisor! I can not imagine my life with out you. Lol, discovered this place about a month ago thanks to TA & its already our third time here & I think it gets better every time. you wouldn't never end up at this place without it. Kinda a hidden gem but so worth finding. Our new favorite thai place

4 Thank MELCOR