“Take a bike if you visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fish Creek Provincial Park

Fish Creek Provincial Park
Ranked #3 of 292 things to do in Calgary
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest urban wildernesses in the world, with over 54 miles of trails for hiking, biking and running.
Los Angeles, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Take a bike if you visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I made the mistake of visiting this park on foot, and I wound up just in the area where the bike path is. This part is probably much more enjoyable if you're on a bike or if you've got the stamina of a distance runner so you can go longer distances without getting ridiculously tired.

Still, it's a good park. Parks are always a nice place to visit to withdraw from the city.

I didn't see much wildlife when I went, but if I did then I'd give the park a higher rating.

I'd visit again, but next time I would take a bike.

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
463 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 461 helpful votes
“Excellent park, great pathways, river and wildlife!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We live very close to this wonderful park and pathway system in Calgary. The scenery is great no matter what season or weather. We walk and bike on the pathways in the park a few times a week. Often we see deer, pheasants, eagles and many other birds. At dusk, along the river, we have come across beavers and coyotes. This is a wonderful place to take pictures of wildlife, the scenery or a sunset. In the winter, some of the pathway gets icy (a lot of it is cleared) but with cleats on our boots, it is OK. Can't think of a better way or nicer place to get some exercise, nature, and fresh air in the city!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank seetheworld2014
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“A beautiful example of forethought”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

By preserving this strip of land along Fish Creek and the Bow River as a Provincial Park, city planners guaranteed that Calgary would have a beautiful park stretching across the Southern portion of the city. Running from Woodbine in the West to Cranston in the East, this park has kilometres upon kilometres of biking and hiking trails right inside the city. You can even bring your horse in to ride through the park! There is a memorial forest, an art park and interpretive centre at Bow Valley Ranch, a summer cafe called Annie's, a swimming area called Sikome Lake and many locations with barbeque pits and picnic tables free for your enjoyment. Its open during the day year-round and easy to access, with free parking and availability off a number of transit routes. Friends Of Fish Creek (see website) hosts many classes and outings, including birdwatching, that are informative and fun. As a kid, I spent many days in the park, wading in the creek for minnows, looking for wildlife and enjoying the open spaces. I'm fortunate to still live in a community adjacent to the park, so I walk through it often, and enjoy it every time.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank lostherd
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A piece of nature in the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Even tho I have lived in Calgary for over 30 years it constantly amazes me that I can see deer,wolves (not always a good thing) moose and eagles here. Bike paths in Calgary are very good as well. Certain areas of Fish Creek have BBQ facilities

Visited July 2013
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The great outdoors in the city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I live close to the park & have spent many hours biking, walking & running the trails & paths of Fish Creek Provincial Park (I was there this morning). You would never know you were in the city, it's an instant escape from the hustle of the city. The path system is very well maintained & plowed in the winter months. The washrooms are clean & some are open year round. I feel very lucky to have such a fabulous park so close to home!

Visited November 2013