“Disappointing for a Sandman Property”

Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre
Ranked #87 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed September 7, 2010

As a business traveler who regularly stays in Sandman hotels - this was a major disappointment. We were told the rooms had just been refurbished. Did not appear so to me. I had a box for a bathroom. It was very uncomfortable knowing that the maid could walk in and see me sitting on the Loo as so small could not even close the door whilst having to do my business.

Walls stark. No pictures. Just a big mirror right in front of the bed. Tele did not work. Toiletries were more Motel Six type than what I expected to find in a Sandman. Who does their ordering?????? Bright news...........their coffee was great!!!

My colleague complained that her bed was right up against the door as you walked in and did not feel safe at all. I mean who wants to sleep right next to their door?

It is in a very old building and almost felt like it was haunted. Strange vibe. Dirty reception area. Workout facility ok. No free weights and old equipment. Met a City Counsel Member there and he said he was more than disappointed too.

C'mon Sandmand! You can do better!!!!!

I would rate this a 2.5 out of 5.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank soultraver2

Reviewed August 7, 2010

i traveled to Calgary for the first time to accompany my husband on a business trip. from the moment we arrived after a ten hour drive it was a gong show. elevators were stuck, room awful ZERO air conditioning, noisy room at front of hotel. had a smoking room and no ashtray. ordered room service then at 1am in the morning a chap from moxie's called twice to say he needed a credit card. my husband had to get up get dressed and go give card details at 1 in the morning. i requested we change rooms as the air con didn't work, we got moved across the hall into a smaller room with a smaller bathroom on a noise side of the hotel. tried the pool but whirlpool not working. tried to order in room games for my son but they not working. tried to order movie at 15 DOLLARS!!!! but that not working. key card kept failing. husband needed to extend his stay but then a big melodrama ensued with the front of house staff. with phone calls to the room and people knocking on the door. i had already explained i was waiting for my husband to return from work to sort the matter out. but no!!! i left to take my son to the mall i got back and voila the key card turned off. they wouldn't turn back on til i paid for the nights stay!!! they wouldn't wait until 5pm for my hubby to get back!!!! we had already stayed there for fours nights. if we hadn't of been so peeved we would of just changed hotels and had done with it. my hubby is an engineer and will be back here on business. i can def say we will not be returning to the sandman.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank kirsty079
GeneralManagerCal26, Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to any issues and be able to clarify our policies and procedures. Unfortunately when the guest arrived, his office had not made a reservation which was to have the room charges billed to a third party. It is policy throughout the industry to have a form of payment, prior to checking into a room. Once an authorization is received, it indicates what items may be charged. In this case, room and tax only were allowed by his company, hence why the guest could not charge in the restaurant or lounge nor receive movies in the room, all which is explained during check in with such cases.

As a smoking room was not requested at time of check in, a non smoking room was assigned. This was quickly remedied when the guest asked to move.

As the original stay was only authorized by his company for 3 nights, when the guest requested to stay another evening, another form of payment was asked of the guest, again industry standard.

The room key system, for obvious security reasons, will only authorize entry into a properly checked in and paid for room. As an alternate form of payment was not produced until well after the check out time, the guest had to approach the front desk in order to provide payment and get a new key card for their room
We do aplogize for the inconvenience but all these systems and procedures are in place for a purpose, whether it be for security of the hotel itself, the security of our guests and the security of the individuals paying for the guests stay.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

lovely room with big bed, but it was on a wooden base that stuck out and I kept stubbing my toe on it as there wasn't much of a gap between it and the wall.
Oh and no kettle again only a coffee maker, and the second day the jug for it disapeared and the mugs were too tall to stick under it so we couldn't even make tea in it let alone coffee!
The hotel was great, clean, helpful, chearful staff - we had to reconfirm flight and print boarding passes but the business centre was always in use - receptionist took us in to their office so we could use her computer o do this - now that is what I call service!
The hotel is just round corner from the tram stop which was great as it was just a few stops to the stampeed park and the main shopping centre
Yes I would stay again - but as with elsewhere in canada I would take my own kettle as I do like a cup of tea when I wake up in the morning and not coffee until breakfast
The restaurant was great and quite reasonably priced
The room maid kept putting the aircon to constant, but then it couldn't cope and would just be recirculating hot air - discovered on second day "by trial and error" that had to switch it off for a few mins and then back on on auto and it then worked properly, if just switched from consant to auto it made no diference.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank castlent
Reviewed July 16, 2010

On hindsight rooms were disappointing compared to the rest of out 14 day excurion across Canada. Allocated rooms next to the Elevators which reduce the space available, air-conditioning wasn't working too well in one of the rooms and carpets weren't particularly clean either. Taking into consideration that we were still jet lagged from London flight, in a City Centre Hotel of a major Oil Rich Business Capitol and only staying 2 nights we didn't have the energy to complain. On a positive note, Moxie's restuarant served excellent breakfasts and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank cvalen7024
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We arrived at the Sandman after flying into Calgary from London. Check in was very quick, with helpful staff.

The room had dated fixtures and fittings. However, it was spotlessly clean, well equipped and of a good size. The shower was great - very powerful.

The location is ok. The sky train is directly outside the hotel, but we did not use this ourselves. It was a 10 minute walk to the pedestrianised avenue and shops and restaurants.

We did not use any of the facilities, or eat at the hotel.

The hotel served its purpose for us, in that it was a one night stop over after our flight, before we picked up the car to drive onto Banff and continue with our holiday. The hotel is good value for money - clean and functional.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NinaandBen
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Nice rooms, nothing to complain about except that it is very impersonal.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Originally, I was only going to be in the hotel for a few hours due to a very late arrival and an early morning meeting, so the hotel gave me a break on the rate. Then, I ended up having to stay an extra night and got a better rate. It wasn't really convenient to where I had to be but the free downtown train was just outside the door and the front desk staff helped me with which stop I needed. The hotel is very basic, but clean, which is all I needed when all I was doing was sleeping there. A continental breakfast would be a nice touch as I didn't have time to order and wait in the restaurant. It's not really a good location for walking about at night, but there is a good restaurant on site that reduces the need to go looking for a place to eat.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business