“Pleasantly surprised”

Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre
Ranked #87 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After reading so many scathing reviews about the Sandman, I was worried what I was letting myself in for, but I turned out to be pleasantly surprised.

We found it easy to navigate our way into the city and we parked on the underground car park without any problems (charge was $34 for 3 nights, which I thought was reasonably for Calgary) Reception was immaculate and our room was large, comfortable and very clean. The tram stop is right outside the front door and travel between 8th and City Hall is FREE!

The only minor niggle is that the service in the 1st floor bar left a lot to be desired, but they did seemed to be understaffed with only 1 waitress and 1 bar staff working on a busy Saturday night.

Aside from that, this is an ideal hotel in a great location, so I don't know why so many people have given poor reviews.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Happy to recommend this fine hotel. All expected amenities are here? Clean rooms, comfy beds. Maybe a bit dated. The toilet suite was unstable. Restaurant very good value. Location is great with free trams outside. Stay a while as Calgary has lots to see and do.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. !!!!!!THEY ARE ROBBERS!!!!!Myself and my partner moved from Ireland to Canada on a working visa at the start of September. We are a couple aged 21 and decided to start a new life we heard canada is a beautiful place and lovely people. We stayed at sandman hotel. As we were travelling of course we had cash with us and literally all are belongings. So on are 3rd day staying at the hotel we were out viewing apartments as we arrive back to hotel room that evening we realise all are bags had been gone through !!! We checked where we had hidden are cash ($2,000) now this was very well hidden you had to literally search and go through all of are belongings to find this so we realised are cash and all my bank details had been ROBBED!!!!!! We immediately went down to reception and got the manager and called the police. The manager said they would do a lock check this would show who has been in and out of are room as it was not a forced entry. They did this and it showed the cleaner had been in are room at 11am and again at 1pm .... She had no reason to be in are room twice so it proved she robbed us!!! The police came and said there is nothing we can do unless she admits it!!! So next day we had a meeting with the manager SUSAN HARPER and she brought the cleaner in who cleaned are room JOSELINE and the manager had the cheek to say to us does she look like a robber to use???she then said I am going to be biased with my staff and I don't think she would do this hahahahhahah they are a JOKE this hotel so basically we arrive no where to live all are cash had been robbed by a cleaner that was for an apartment and my bank details and we were left homeless a women I talked to online took us into her home.

The manager then said we will not charge you for your stay which was $850 because of what happened it still wasn't good enough but we had to go.
Only to realise a week and a half later she took the money from my account which literally left me with no money!!!! We went back down to the hotel and SUSAN HARPER said I never said I wouldn't charge you I don't want to give you any of it back but the other manager said to give you HALF of it back . As a mere gesture if kindness....ARE. YOU SERIOUS!!!!
She tried make me sign a privacy form before she even gave me half my money back but I refused.

So I'm WARNING everyone not to stay here they have horrible staff especially SUSAN HARPER I've never met a women like her in my life. She treats you like a piece of dirt on her shoe.And you are going to be robbed by the cleaners and they don't even get interviewed about what happened they get to go back to work the next with a MASSIVE bonus every time they rob poor innocent people.

I wouldn't even give them a star but it made me before I could write any thing. Also Internet doesnt work , rooms a kip, staff are a disgrace waited 20mins at bar for a ice water!!!!!They lie on the internet what the rooms look like.

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you want to leave with no money and still be robbed weeks later as they have...
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Niamh K
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

It is sincerely disheartening to the Sandman Calgary City Centre that you are unsatisfied despite the due processes that were practiced on your behalf. We as hoteliers, who are in the industry of building and maintaining relationships, empathize with your frustration and undoubtedly cooperated with the authoritative parties upon your request. It is unfortunate that the outcome established by the authorities did not find a resolution to your pleasing and for this we appreciate your disappointment. The legal processes that are on record, found the Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre of no criminal activity following all measures of proper follow up.

We take these types of allegations extremely serious, therefore it is not only our company mandate but also our insistence in finding the truth to any matter involving any one of our staff members and valued guests alike. The safety and privacy of both parties is of the utmost importance to the Sandman Chain as a whole.

This is apparent in our policy as well as per Privacy Act By-Law, we disclose hotel guest information only following a Privacy Act release signed by the registered guest. Although it may appear taxing to you to have been required to adhere to this policy, it is a legal mandate and one that is executed with a purely unbiased intent.

We had hoped that despite the Sandman Calgary City Centre being recognized of no wrong doing through the thorough efforts of the local authorities, our gesture of good will by extending a partial refund for your frustration would have offered some degree of comfort. It is apparent that you have failed to accept resolution of your situation and I, Susan Harper as you have referenced to in your comments, do whole heartedly empathize, as your losing your funds through your travels and the results through investigation did not prove to be in your favor, has surely left you feeling a sense of ill will.

My Team and I do wish you the best in your future endeavors and hopefully one day following some measure of practical reflection, you will find conclusion in your loss.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here for one night and I am a non smoker. A coupls weeks later I checked my credit card statement to find out they charged an extra $250 on my card. When I called to see that there must have some sort of mix up I was told the charge will not be changed and that I cant speak to the manager that gave that order, who was within ear shot,but I could leave a message on his voicemail. When I asked why I couldn't speak to the manager directly because he was standing right there, I was told he (Calvin) was close to leaving for the day. Really poor customer service. It's too bad they chose to steal $250 from a customer and lose an entire lifetime of business form them. A solid crew of forward thinking clowns at the Sandman. Stay away

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank jOHN s

We can fully understand your frustration regarding your having to absorb the smoking violation fee that was recognized by your acknowledgment during your arrival process, however to avoid these types of penalties, refraining from from smoking in our non-smoking property, would have avoided the disappointment that you have experienced.
Our non-smoking policy is enforced ultimately to allow for all our loyal guests, who do not share this preference, an enjoyable and comfortable experience while staying at the Sandman Calgary City Centre.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Not originally planning to stay here however the recent flood had closed our hotel. Very central location, close to transport, shops, Calgary Tower. Would not wander around at night alone. Staff seemed friendly enough. Room was basic and served the purpose. Spacious enough for a family of four and beds quite comfortable. Food in the restaurant was okay/basic.

Room Tip: Fridges are not standard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie V
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel might have been a reasonable deal when it was built 40 or so years ago, but it falls far short of today's standards for a hotel in the downtown area of a small city. The walls are paper-thin, the bathroom in my room was minute with a washbasin more suited to an airliner, the decor is tired and worn, and the staff are so unfriendly that I wondered whether they had been trained at all or just picked up off the street that morning and asked to work a shift. When I checked out the desk clerk named "Andre" barely acknowledged my presence and I had to ask him fro a copy of my invoice. He then yawned widely while handing it to me, saying nothing. I asked if I could leave my luggage for a few hours and was given the impression that I was causing a major inconvenience. When I returned later to pick up my luggage the young lady that I asked for help said not one word to me.

I encourage management to visit a downtown hotel in another city (for example, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle) where they will see what real customer service is like.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook 7th Avenue will be noisy because of the C-Train, so best to avoid them.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ODP
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very friendly & helpful staff.
Comfortable beds, & very clean although the bathroom was a bit tired & in need of a refurbmishment, although everything worked.
No fridge in our room, so need to check if you are diabetic etc.
Had a meal in Moxie's bar that was very mediocre, but again the waiting staff were friendly.
Central hotel, good for business travel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple