“downtown calgary”

Ranked #83 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Barrow-in-Furness
“downtown calgary”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I do not understand all the bad reviews the Sandman City Centre,Calgary receives.My wife and I have just returned from the "Calgary Stampede" having spent 11 nights at this hotel.We have no complaints whatsoever.On arrival the affable receptionist ( Robert Elliott) checked us in.On noting that we were staying 11 nights he said that he would make certain we were comfortable.This he did with a corner dual aspect room on the top floor (23rd).The room was large,with a good sized bathroom and a small kitchenette with fridge,microwave,toaster ,jug kettle and sink,plus crockery and cutlery.
The room was kept spotless,as was the bed linen.
As we checked in early afternoon we dropped our luggage to just have a walk to get a feel of the area.Passing through reception Robert produced a mosquito spray just in case.We had no such problems our entire stay.
Comments have been made previously about slow lifts.Bearing in mind that we were on the 23rd.floor at the busiest time of the year,we did not experience one excessive delay.
Poor area and location keeps cropping up.Opposite the hotel is a McDonalds and a convenience store operating for 24 hrs. a day,so people are on a corner opposite into the night.We did not use either establishment after dark,excersising caution that we would use in any city.Additionally the location is on the central thoroughfare downtown which we used at all hours so again caution but no panic.The downtown tram stops right outside the hotel across the street heading downtown,and leaves you around a 400 yard walk to the hotel when returning.
Moxies onsite grill and bar is comfortable and is what it says a "grill and bar"
Downtown there is no sign of the recent floods they have done a remarkable job.
THEY HAVE HAD A LOT OF CANCELLATIONS THOUGH AND ARE DESPERATE
IN THE CITY,FOR TOURISTS.HELP THEM OUT AND GO,IT IS A LOVELY AREA,WITH EXCEPTIONALL FRIENDLY PEOPLE.
Incidentally just to prove I am not on the hotel payroll,I can make a negative comment which seems to perturb a lot of people.On one occasion we could not receive a signal on the FREE
wifi system.Big deal what a disaster.

Room Tip: We had top floor corner room.no noise,dual aspect,good facilities
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KENBarrow_in_Furness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I arrived a day before the great flood of 2013 in Calgary and initially thought I would have to be evacuated. I stayed here for almost 2 weeks, and while some service levels were impacted by the flood, I.e. housekeeping, overall everything was fine.

The location is ideal on the west end of downtown, and you can easily walk to the great neighborhoods like Mount Royal, Chinatown and Kensington.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, with my only complaints being that the air conditioning units were largely ineffective when the weather hit 35°C (which is not common for Calgary though), the analog reception on the TV was grainy and poor, and the gym and pool were quite small.

The staff are super helpful and the process very reasonable. I would definitely stay there again the next time I am in Calgary.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Therichpeasant
From Halifax to Calgary
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I were planning a move to Calgary, came down to look for a place to live and chose this hotel for a week.

Pros: downtown, great location close to almost everything. Customer service was quit good, I wanted a fridge in the room for snacks and they brought one up. Reasonable prices!

Cons: The first 3 nights we were at in the room both of us had issues breathing, no problems out side the hotel, but we got stuffed up while in the room, every time! Window didn't open so I turned on the ventilation. Ventilation reduced the symptoms but didn't get rid of them. On our way down to look at another property, I mentioned it to the front desk and he changed our room, made sure we had a fridge in there too when we got back and did not charge us for parking for the first 3 nights we were there.

I gave 2 stars, and left the cleanliness rating blank, room was clean but air in the room wasn't.

We would stay at that hotel again just because of the service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel is clean and comfortable with a convenient location in the downtown area of Calgary. Unfortunately there are no signs indicating a ramp entrance at the side so we struggled with suitcases up the steps to the main entrance. We got a good night's sleep. It's ideal if spending a few days before moving on somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

From reading reviews on this hotel we arrived thinking this wasn't going to be a great hotel, however we can't fault this hotel, nice facilities, clean room and very helpful staff really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nectar28
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was travelling for business, during my stay I had my purse stolen (not at the hotel). Asked the front desk staff if they had a computer guests could use and was told "yes but you need a credit card" and that was it. Later while snooping around the hotel I found the business center & asked another staff member at the front desk if I could purchase a 'ticket' for computer access & was told "no problem we can charge it to your room" By the way they charge $8 per hour for internet access in the business center, the first hotel I've ever stayed at that charged for this service. The morning the flooding began, I asked the front desk staff if there was a way to get out of the downtown core as I had heard it was being evacuated. I was given a series of street directions (useless to me as I flew to Calgary) and asked what I should do. I was told to call a taxi, they didn't even offer to call one for me or offer any other suggestions. Thanks for making a stressful trip even worse, I won't be staying here again or recommending it to any of my colleagues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Metzlk
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was traveling for business and the only hotel with availability was this one.
Checked in at 3 am. Individual at the front desk did not make eye contact, seemed disgruntled. Got up to my room and was pretty convinced it had not been cleaned : bed was not really made, only one towel in the bathroom, dirty cups in bathroom. Given the hour I go to sleep.
Fast forward one day: in the shower and I thought I saw a bug but I wasn't sure. I go to sleep and at 2 am I get up to use the washroom. I turn on the lights and there on the floor are three ENORMOUS bugs (the size of a plastic spoon). I freak out and gk to lobby. Man at desk barely reacts and offers me another room, alrhough he was not sure if it had been cleaned. I was not interested. I convince him to come up with me so I can pack my things. - ihad already decided we'd stay elsewhere for our final night inCalgary. I sit in the lobby from 3 to 7 in the morning waiting god my colleague to get up. Staff at this point receptivebut not very active. They offer me a blanket. When I go to check out the next day Calvin the manager checks me out. He asks me my room number and I tell him and tell him i was in the room with the issue the night before. He says nothing and hands me my bill. No apology no nothing. Pretty sure he could care less and they are planning to do nothing about the cockroach problem. Dont stay there, it is gross and thd customer service awful / do they know they are in the hospitality industry?

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank VerdiBBWD
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Your feedback is most appreciated. Your comments are extremely valuable to us as it allows for our Team to continue in our efforts to provide a safe a comfortable product to our loyal guests. We empathize with your challenges and upon receiving your claim regarding pest control, the issue, which was reported and received by the General Manager, was addressed by the guestroom in question being immediately removed from operation and inspected by our reputable contracted pest control service provider, who found no signs of infestation. It is also abundantly important that our hotel guests are greeted and treated in the most respectful and empathetic manner. Any deviance from this is addressed directly by the General Manager to ensure that guest satisfaction is always at the forefront of our interactions.