“Trying their best not to have me back.”

Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Anchorage, Alaska
“Trying their best not to have me back.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I walked into Sandman Hotel at Calgary City Centre with my eyes wild open. After all, I did read all the reviews written here. It definitely didn't help that my room ended up right next to the elevators although by closing the bathroom door, it wasn't that noisy. But this isn't a big hotel. It appears that four rooms out 16 per floor, is next to the elevators! The hotel is located next to the Calgary Transit which is good but even up in the 11th floor, I can heard train loud and clear. When I was at the Hyatt last year, it was next to the Calgary Transit on the fourth floor and didn't heard a thing. The shower had uneven heat. That basically means from time to time, it goes from hot to cold even if you don't touch the control. Sometimes, during the initial phase, yellow water will come out. I am not sure what that was but I let the water run for a while before I get under it. The bathroom counter was way too small for any traveler. I was bit bemused to discovered that housekeeping left a half used shampoo bottle for me. Of course, I am not sure what room but you can also hear the water running when someone is taking a shower above you. The bed wasn't very comfortable. I was there for the Calgary Expo so I came home exhausted each evening so I slept well no matter what. The internet was super spotty. At times, it ran well...at other times, it was worthless. And I mean utterly worthless!! Can't even bring up my Internet Explorer!! The room didn't have any in-room safe. I suppose I could count my blessing that I wasn't only next to the elevator but the ice machine as well. That would have been bad.

On the positive side, it had a nice small refrigerator and AC-heat unit that proves to be handy in creating a white noise effect. It is close to the Calgary Transit, it does have a 24 hours McDonald's and Subway really close by. For a Calgary Expo fans, all this is a good thing. Housekeeping (outside of that shampoo bottle) wasn't too bad although they lean more toward the cheap side. My room at least, was relatively clean. They do have a good business center where you can print off things from the computer, the pool looked nice and their work out gym also looked very well equipped. Of course, I was too tired for pool and gym after the Expo. Desk Staff proves to be helpful and they were considerate and professional.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that is located next to the elevators and the ice machine. Use the AC for cool air or he...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SirHoot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Tim horton's, 24 hr McDonald's, 24 hr Mac's and Subway. LRT is close by too. Those are the advantages to staying in this hotel. My brother and I stayed there for the Calgary comic and entertainment expo and we loved having these close by. The only drawback is that there were a few bums in the area. They would stay in the Tim horton's or the McDonald's and we had one walk by and want to give us artwork on our way to Tim horton's.

2 Thank MelanieMezzo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Where to start? I stayed at this hotel for nearly a week, due to business in the area and I implore everyone not to cave into convenience for location and stay elsewhere. When I checked in, I was advised that my credit card had already been charged one night for a night a month ago that I was a 'no show'. I had NEVER made a reservation for that hotel, in that city or even in that province and the gall of them to charge my credit card when not authorized to do so is an unacceptable business practice. I was told they'd check into it (never heard back) but not to worry about it because they'd use THAT charge to apply it against this stay.
The room was the size of a closet and I could hear every function that the neighbours performed in their washroom. One morning I had zero hot water, which made getting ready for my early morning business meeting rather unpleasant. The next day I was scalded by the fluctuating water when it went to straight hot.
One morning, regardless of me having secured the in room safety latch, I was awoken by the cleaning staff standing at the foot of my bed. YES - SHE JUST CAME IN!!! No knocking, no shout out, just walked in. It turned out the safety latch was not tightly screwed into the wall (and was in fact missing two of the screws) therefore a push of the door from the outside allowed the latch to swing to the open postion. One would think the hotel would be horrified of this experience and do whatever possible for the safety of their guests. Noooo, I was just asked if I used the 'other' lock, too. I asked to change rooms with a functioning lock after that.
The second room was bigger, however the cleanliness had not improved. The nozzle to switch bath to shower had a rusty screw sticking out of it. I did not get a refill on the used coffee, cream, or sugar and the coffee pot was not even cleaned after being used. I had to wash it myself. The television was set on some sort of 'lock' functionality and I could only get a few channels in comparison to the other room.
The elevators were as slow as molasses and one elevator was stuck on the 8th floor during my entire stay. One exit was out of order for part of my stay. The business centre was out of order for my entire stay. The amount of repairs I could do to this place if I were to walk around with only screws and a screwdriver!
The disgusting state of this hotel can only be attributed as tone from the top. Management obviously doesn't care about or take pride in the property, so why should the staff?? They should be embarrassed and Sandman should reconsider having this property part of the Sandman brand!

Room Tip: Walk, nay, RUN away from this hotel as fast as you can!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Car T
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at the Sandman Calgary City Centre. We empathize how your impression that the management team of our property lacks in attention and care, however I assure you that this highly inaccurate. The General Manager is located conveniently in the main lobby and readily available for guest concerns to be heard and addressed immediately. Your concerns would have been undoubtedly addressed in an accurate and timely manner, allowing the remainder of your stay to be both a safe and enjoyable experience.
The Sandman Hotel Calgary Centre is a part of strong and viable market within the Calgary market and demand for our services are greatly appreciated. We hold our 300 room product in very high regard and due diligence is paid by our constant maintenance and upgrade program in place at the property. In the event of any deficiencies, it is of the utmost priority that we rectify each and every challenge as we become aware of them, whether it is through our proactive inspection process or through the feedback of our valued hotel guests.
Thank you again for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

powell river
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I agree with many posters claiming the hotel is dated although the only problem I had with my room was setting the water temp for a shower. If you can set that properly you can probably split an atom barehanded. My SUV is higher than lower in the underground park so I needed to find another secure lot (otherwise Sandman only had a back alley to offer). One o the benefits is having the C-Train right outside the lobby and you can ride for free in the downtown core. All in all as so many other posters have said- you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: I was in room 402, not bad, roomy but noisy until the LRT stops
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank frozen998
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Easy access by bus from airport and the free c-train runs frequently from right outside of the hotel to city centre, although the downtown is actually within walking distance. The hotel is a bit worn out but it was OK for the price we paid (80 dollars) - if we would have paid more, we could have been disappointed.

1 Thank omertad
Verona, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Valet apparently did not understand their job included opening the door for guests whose hands were full with lugage. Water was hardly warm the first day of my stay. Cold water was non-existent the 2nd day of my stay, consequently unable to shower in scalding water. Front desk failed to take ownership.

Room Tip: stay out by the airport. Better value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Greg H
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is near the Mewata Armoury which was very convenient as I had to attend a couple of events there. The room was clean but dated. The bathroom was small as well. Parking underground was good and cheap ($5/day).
The LRT is right there and so are a number if other restaurants within a 15 min walk.
Overall, nothing great but it is in a great location.

1 Thank Bloodaxe61