“Staff great,hotel not!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre
Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Staff great,hotel not!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed in the Sandman in feb and found the front reception staff to be lovely. Having said that the rooms were tired and rundown .the were burns in the carpets and the bathroom was tiny and cramped. The hotel is well done downstairs but they seriously need to upgrade the rooms. we changed rooms but the secound was no better and the manager was so unhelpful that we rang our travel company to change .If you do stay here try and get a higher floor because the noise of the train is annoying at times.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
jellydog
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, booked it as it was much cheaper than anywhere else, good location, front desk staff helpful & pleasant, rooms decent size although bathroom a bit on the small size, spotlessly clean throughout. Comfy beds, plenty of towels, Free wifi although was a little patchy.
Very busy lively bar, food smelt great
Would stay here again given its location & price

• Stayed March 2013
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three days in February. I viewed numerous rooms, all of which were run down and visibly dirty, but had no time to change hotels. To make matters worse, on the first night, my toilet nearly overflowed and I had to call twice to reception to get maintenance. On the second morning, virtually no hot water for the shower, though I opened only the hot tap and let it run for ten minutes. The manager, Susan, bordered on rude when I raised these issues with her.

Finally, numerous colleagues here have been warned not to go out at night, due to the "crack park" across the street.

I have lived and travelled in the developing world, and I would say this hotel is operating on the level of a Cuban 2 star.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank michelina_41
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your vauled comments relating to your most recent stay at the Sandman Calgary City Centre. We also empathize with your challenges and continually hold ourselves to task in addressing any issues that may arise in an effcient and professional manner. It was a pleasure to hear that although you experienced challenges with your guestroom on your first night with us, your assurances that the issue was addressed was appreciated. Regarding the following issue brought to our attention, your level of frustration was understanble as we appreciate that during your business travels, an expectation of a safe and enjoyable experience is most defineltey shared with the entire Sandman Calgary City Centre Team. Upon being made aware of this matter, assurances that were extended that swift and efficient attention was to be focused on the issue at hand, where our reliable In-House Maintenance team combined with our trusted contractor made it a viable focus to ensure that your final night with us would be flawless.

We also appreciate the ample positive feedback that The Sandman Calgary City Centre receives in our being located in a very safe and convenient location in the downtown core. Combined with our daily operational security measures ensuring the safety of our hotel guests, our deciated Motel-Hotel Calgary Police Task Force have a proven track record in assisiting Calgary Hoteliers as a whole in achieving a safe environment, notably for everyone vsiting our Calgary's City Core.

Again, please accept our sincere gratitude in your valued feedback.
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am on a project and so keep going to Calgary every month. Since I was new to this city, I just did some research on google and booked this hotel since this is close by to my work place. However, after spening the first week I was quite happy and have been using this hotel ever since. Since I go so frequently, even without asking they upgraded my room (queen bed) to a rook with microwate and kitchenette which I appreciate a lot. Also, they have pretty decent Gym (not the best but managable) and close to train and bus stops (1 min walk) apart from being at a walkable distance to Safe way (for groceries) and McDonalds, Safeway etc., Overall I am very quite Happy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChoiceHotelFan
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This Hotel has a nice restaraunt and bar that is quite active in the evenings. Rooms are ok as is the service. Priced a bit high for the Quality. It is conveniently located in the City with easy access to the train.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Yuzhno Sakhalinsk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Perfect location in downtown Calgary. You have 2nd floor to get on the +15 and for all of my meetings with customers and our corporate office I did not have to go outside.

If you stay there, ask to go high as if you stay on the 4th floor you can hear the C-trains running. A little annoying.

The room was pefect. Good bed, TV, bathroom and desk to work on.

For the price it was exactly what I expected and I will stay there on my next trip to Calgary.

Room Tip: Go high up to avoind street noise.