“Average hotel, noisy trams outside”

Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre
Ranked #87 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed one night before starting Rockies trip.
Pretty average downtown hotel, staff were friendly room clean and tidy.
Main complaints were trams outside the hotel were very noisy, and it was quite a long walk to find decent restaurants.
Had breakfast in the hotel and had to send it back as it was cold.
As the title says a very average downtown hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank El-Tel2003

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have been to Calgary for a short business visit for some meetings and happen to stay in Sandman Hotel city center.
I found it nice hotel, centrally located, walking distance from many restaurants. decent rooms and friendly staff.
speed of service is really good and gives a good feel of value and professionalism.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BobH1970
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the Sandman for two weeks while in Calgary on buisness.
The location is perfect during the day, as it is right downtown and next to the C-train; however, please be cautious in this area at night. Kitty corner to the hotel is the infamous Crack-Mac's, which has such pleasent clientelle that they have a reserved parking space for the RCMP (police).
I was quite happy when they let me check in at 10:30am on the first day of my stay. They informed me that the internet was down but they were fixing it. It was down or incredibly slow for 80% of my stay. I called numerous times to complain to the front desk, and they kept transfering me to technical support, which is a third party. I was on the phone to technical support twice for about half an hour, trying to sort out the internet! I complained to the front desk, asking why it was my job as a guest to deal with this, asking why they couldn't contact support themselves? I got no real answer. One of the managers was finally alerted to my issue after about my 10th complaint. He apologized and arranged to get me a $20 gift card to Moxie's restaurant. (The restaurant is horrible, so I'm not sure he did me any favors!)
I stayed in the King-Kitchen suite, which faced the 8th St. train station. Even though i was on the 15th floor, I could still clearly hear the train announcements and drunken partiers below. I'm a deep sleeper, so it didn't really bother me though.
The carpet had a clear wrinkle in it, and was burned and stained in parts. The bed was comfortable and quite nice, though the sheets were definately not changed every other day, as they claim their policy is.
The bathroom was the tiniest, most cramped bathroom I've ever seen in a proper hotel! Quite uncomfortable! The towels are a bit rough, but clean.
The kitchen consisted of a microwave, sink, coffee maker, basic dishes and a small fridge (well a large version of a small fridge), which alternately froze my refridgerated food and then would let my freezer food melt. It was in bad need of a defrost. Only 1 out of 2 days was I left with a dish towel, dish cloth and dish soap.
The most positive thing I can say about the suite was that there were a lot of windows, two sides of the room were all windows from hip-level up, so lots of great natural light in the room during the day.
Parking is extra, $16/weekday, $5/weekend day. The parkade has lots of spots, especially on level 2 and 3. The parkade was in desperate need of cleaning though, with tonnes of garbage, some of which I noticed rotting on day one, and was still there two weeks later.
The hotel is often frequented by large tour groups. Many mornings I came down to the lobby to find chaos and 50 suitcases littering the floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not facing the train station, it should be quieter.
2  Thank Elle M
Reviewed September 16, 2012

No porterage, Room shabby.Climate control didn't work properly, , no fridge. Only one bedside table, only one bedside lamp, wireless internet virtually non existent. Wife had shower then walked barefoot into bedroom and had to go back to wash her feet again as carpet was so dirty. Food awful, steak grossly overcooked, rice was stuck together in lumps on wife's meal, first choice of wine not available. Only benefit was they didn't charge for the steak!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RayJackson1
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in Sept/12. A budget hotel in a great location in downtown Calgary. Bed was clean and comfortable. Ask for a room on one of the floors that has been renovated - I was given a corner room on the top (23rd) floor. No real views other than nearby buildings. Bathroom smelled like old cigarette smoke - I don't recall even having the option for choosing a non smoking room when booking online. Staff is friendly. Lobby was always filled with people waiting for Airport Shuttle. Use of elevators requires room key which offers some security. WIFI brought back memories of dial-up speeds. Don't rely on getting internet access at all during your stay (but it's free!). Lots of street noise (trains and sirens) even at the top floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room (but even those look well-used).
1  Thank LetsGetGone
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed because of a business meeting where the meeting place is right across the street. The room is average. Food portions in the Moxie's Bar and Grill are small.

Don't know why I went back again six months later, convenience for the same meeting I guess and I forgot about the slow internet. If you have a choice stay somewhere else.

And the front desk people was very cold.

1  Thank yaofeng
Reviewed September 12, 2012

First of all.. Staff helpful and polite... But having said that my room was not the best. Nothing seemed to work. The coffee pot was busted, the tv remote didn't work very well and forget about using wireless... (honestly the best place it worked was in the bathroom) along with that trying to actually drive there is hell as the train runs directly through the street it's listed on.. No car access at all. (directions on the website would be helpful.) unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea but as I said the staff were very helpful so thanks for good customer service there

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo