“Corporates wanted”

Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre
Ranked #87 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The location in very convienient we used the C Train to visit the zoo.

The room was mostly clean except for the bathroom which had mold growing in it...

Staff was mostly helpful except when our key card wouldn't work in the elevator they just told us not to "ride up with anyone else"...we looked pretty rude scrambling for the close door button after being to 7 different floors but our own. Eventually we just took the stairs...

One thing that really bothered me was when a housekeeping staff member asked if we were going to be gone all day. I'm not sure of she was trying to just make conversation, but my husbnd said no, don't make up the room & she left it. It just made us uncomfortable.

The worst part of our stay was the price...$169/night.... It definitely feels like tourists are unwelcome to the city..most people seem to be there are some business...I would never stay here again. It was a fun experience but if we want to visit the Zoo again we will drive from Lethbridge or Airdrie where Hotels were 40-50$ cheaper with Free Breakfast.

The best part was the Tim Horton's across the street even though line ups were out the door, we had our food in 5 mins & it was never wrong! They did a phenomenal job. Plus after staying in the hotel that cost that much it was the only food we could afford...

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank wannabeawanderin

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, arrived 30 Aug and left on 2 Sep 12. The parking for the Hotel is underground, and if you want a lift/elevator to your room floor, then park on level 1 or 3, as these are the levels which have direct lift/elevator access.

We were allocated a room on the 20th floor - yes, like that's going to happen! The young lady at Reception was very helpful and found us a room on the 16th floor - ah well, can't have everything eh? What a laugh. The room, 1613, was clean and tidy and the beds were comfortable, what more do you need? The air conditioning was great, could have left frozen stuff on it!

The staff were nice and friendly and helpful - really must slow down when talking to them, though!

I have given the Spa/Pool 3 stars because the Pool was cold! At least the Hot Tub was hot!

Moxie's Restaurant and Bar was really nice, and the food was great. Thanks Justin, you served us well!!

The Hotel is very close to the centre of Calgary and the centre is very busy during the day. The Tram line is right outside the Hotel and is free to use if you are staying on 7th Avenue. Be advised that the trams run quite early and very late, and even on the 16th floor we could hear/feel them rumbling past. Not enough to be a great deal of a problem.

Calgary is a very busy city, too busy for us, but each should make up his or her own mind.

We enjoyed our stay at the Sandman City Centre Calgary. Good, reasonably priced accommodation in a major city centre? Can't fault it. Try it for yourself.

Room Tip: I would imagine that rooms on the north side have less tram noise!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheTrain546
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel is reasonable quality, but the service is the worst I have ever had in a hotel. When I asked a question at the desk, the answer was "I have no idea". When I went to pick up luggage, I was virtually ignored for ten minutes, even though two staff were doing nothing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WinchesterExplorer
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

We cannot thank you enough for your feedback. Although it is always a sincere diappointment to receive comments of this nature, it is also of the utmost importance to our Operation that these types of issues are followed up and addressed immediately. It is the Sandman Calgary City Centre culture to hold out hotel guests in the highest regard while achieving excellance, as your patronage is valued and very much appreciated.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

If you are looking for luxury, you're at the wrong place. If you want clean accommodation, downtown, at a reasonable rate, and you can handle the quirks - it is worth a look. I just stayed 5 nights last week and 2 more this week so had a good look at the property - pros and cons.

Booking - When I called, the in-house reservations clerk (a front desk clerk) was rude and dumped me on central reservations despite being explicit that I wanted to go in-house. I called back at a different time and got a professional staff member and no problems.

Staff - Other than the girl mentioned above (who was also not that pleasant in person) ALL of the rest of the staff were very friendly and professional. Kudos to the maintenance guy who came down in minutes and fixed my snowy TV problem. I didn't need help to navigate Calgary but saw front desk beinf very helpful to visitors on numerous occasions.

Rooms - My single king room was a bit on the small side, but adequate for one person on a business trip. From prior stays, I know the rooms with 2 beds are larger - and the corner rooms with 2 beds are huge - ideal for family. Good desk and lighting options. Good size flat screen TV. Bar size fridge in room. The bed was firm and good quality - though I like a much more padded top so it felt very hard to me. Free local calls. WIFI service was excellent when it worked but went down twice while there (both times was back in 15 minutes or so).

Housekeeping - The room was clean and made up on time.The rooms (and the hotel generally) seem a bit tired, but still functional. Remember, it's not the Ritz - or even the Sheraton Eau Claire. Housekeeping did forget to refill my in room coffee supplies twice in 7 nights.

Amenities - Business center available (didn't use). Pool area is kind of dingy, hot tub is mediocre, small gym area available. Cable TV with LodgeNet available for (grossly overpriced) pay movies (I personally HATE LodgeNet because it takes away half your channel selections - including BNN and MSNBC - mini rant now over, but innkeepers take note).

Location - To me, great. Right on C-train line with free rides the length of downtown. Take the train across then a short walk to most business locations downtown. Or, use the plus 15 system to walk indoors to most locations downtown. Moxie's restaurant on site, Tim Hortons, McD's, Subway, Macs within a block, tons of restaurants in area, market a few blocks away.

Elevators - Only 4 for the 22 floors and only one of these goes to the parkade, with no dedicated parkade elevator - this is a real nuisance for parkade access and the stairs to the parkade are a bit of a convoluted adventure. The elevators require card access for guest floors but the card readers tend to be tempermental. One of the quirks.

Parking - Underground parking with 6 foot clearance. My Tacoma was fine except the antennae clicked on pipes all the way through the first level. Stalls are a bit tight and a lot of the good ones are taken by monthly parkers - but adequate stalls available. Parking is valid until 6 p.m. on checkout date - which is nice in Calgary, the west's home of ultra expensive parking.

All around, if you are conscious of costs (and I am almost as cautious with my employer's money as my own); you aren't looking for a luxury unit; and you have a good attitude to deal with the minor quirks - the property offers a good value for the nightly rates.

Room Tip: If you don't mind heights, upper floor away from street noise (and hot water comes from above, s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Hawki56
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed August 12/13 2012, and not overly impressed. Main gripes were an overly hot room with ineffective air conditioner and extremely poor wireless internet. Rooms were okay. Restaurant was a Moxie's, limited but effective breakfast menu.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank brucea
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hotel is just beside metro line for easy access to centre, rooms satisfactory, a little 'tired', lift system had a mind of it's own and it could take a couple of attempts to reach the right floor!
this area of town does not feel safe to be out at night with security locks on all retail stores.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank C2Cdoneit
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed at a number of hotels on our trip around Canada and this was the nicest room. It is a friendly hotel with a really nice restaurant - excellent burgers and reasonable as well. Behind the hotel is a tram that is free and will take you around the city. If you leave the hotel and turn right (away from tram line) it will take you (about 6 blocks) to a nice park area. If you go over the footbridge and turn left there is a great area for bars/restaurants. It was really buzzing when we walked down there. Tip: If you travel via carandian affair their hotel rates are really reasonable - and they have great knowledge of the hotels and the areas that they are in.

• Stayed: August 2012