“Ho Hum...very tired lodging”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Vancouver BC
“Ho Hum...very tired lodging”
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I really can't say anything particularly good or particularly bad about the Westin Calgary. It is unexceptional, yet nothing really is wrong with it. I have come to expect better from Westin than a tired old hotel that has been sloppily refurbished.

Rooms are standard issue Westin - beds are comfy, amenities are fine. There is just nothing really special about them, but given the business rates I would expect more. The hotel is actually quite old and the heating / cooling is reflective of that. Had a terrible sleep listening to the fan switch on and off.

The service was fine - again, nothing exceptional. My only real issue was the fact that there was only one person at the desk at check-out, with a trainee no less, and I had to wait in a line-up in order to obtain the proper bill at check-out (the one delivered under the door was wrong).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The Westin is conveniently located within walking distance of many good restaurants, the light rail system, Prince's Island Park, Calgary Tower, and the downtown financial district. The hotel personnel were all very friendly and helpful. When we booked our stay we asked in our notes if we could possibly have a room with a view since we were celebrating our anniversary. They not only gave us a room with a view, but also a bigger room with a small living room area. The only problem we had was the bathroom floor would end up with a big puddle after we took a shower. We appreciated all their "green" measures especially providing a separate recycling bin in the room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Howe334
westin_calgary, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Thank you for sharing your positive comments and perspective on your recent stay at The Westin. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly contributing to the enjoyment of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This hotel is my preferred destination when visiting Calgary every quarter for Board meetings. It has great services, a good restaurant and meeting rooms if needed. I've visited multiple times and highly recommend it.

2 Thank SparklingLuxury
Thank you for sharing your positive comments and perspective on your recent stay at The Westin. We are pleased to hear that you found our services convenient contributing to the enjoyment of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I booked to stay at this hotel for the weekend for a wedding that was taking place downtown. Once checked in they requested if I had a vehicle and if I required valet parking or regular parking. Neither of which they disclosed a cost for. I was to simply put my vehicle information and date of stay on the registry and I was informed I was allowed to park on either levels C/D. After parking my vehicle promptly and staying in a sub standard room of which the lamps did not work, they offered you only one towel and when called to get more as 2 people were staying in the suite no one ever came up with more towels. As I went to the parkade to drive to the rehearsal dinner I had a $67 parking ticket on my vehicle. I went to the front desk and after ten minutes of the front desk representative looking for the 'registry' they agreed to take care of the cost? Upon check out noting that the cleaning staff didn’t come to our rooms until 5 p.m. each day, no additional towel were ever received we found that we had incurred a $60 charge for parking!!!!!! Which if disclosed I would have never agreed to park at the hotel as the Eau Claire parkade has heated covered parking for $3 for the day on weekends! After mentioning this to the front desk no assistance was extended other than completely rude and unhelpful staff.

I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JTrstensky
On behalf of The Westin Calgary please accept our most sincere apologies for not fulfilling your expectations, we take our guest’s comments seriously and as a leader in the hospitality industry, we are constantly using them to improve our property to exceed their expectations.
Edmonton
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We had an amazing stay here! The front desk staff were full of suggestions for nightlife, and Iris at the desk in the morning suggested an amazing place for breakfast. One of my best Westin experiences.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Navvan
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay at the Westin Calgary and about Iris. We will pass on your kind words to her and hope to welcome you in the future.
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Located in Calgary centre so walkable to any activities etc. Great food, Clean , comfortable, great staff. Breakfast buffet was unbelievable - superb.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank johnsuperstar9
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Travelling on business, I was pleased to be booked into the Westin. However, following it's recent refit, I found the facilities rather lacking. Whilst the room was clean and tidy there were a lot of "little things" that added up to a poor overall experience.

There was no "Do not disturb sign" in my room, which resulted in my jet-lagged sleep being disturbed no less than three times during the day. I did ask for a sign to be brought up, but this never arrived.

The room service was expensive and fatty - very poor chicken tacos! Avoid!

The shower in the room (described as a premier walk-in shower) was very disappointing. It had very little water flow and as there was no bath, I was stuck with using it. Not at all refreshing, and showering felt like a chore rather than a relaxing pleasure, which was not nice after the 9 hour flight.

The staff were overall unhelpful when I complained about my experience. I was only staying for two nights, and despite my polite complaints, they couldn't have been less interested.

Overall, for the money paid, this was a bad experience, and I won't be staying again. There is a Sheraton Suites hotel just one block away, and on my next visit to Calgary, I shall be staying there.

1 Thank mintyaero