“Nice Place”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #27 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Beautiful room, nice n comfy. 2 weird things though.

a) the stand up shower did not have doors or a curtain - only a half glass that ran from floor to ceiling. This left the back of the shower open and water routinely escaped on to the bathroom floor. Mould will be a problem eventually.
b) There is a sliding door that either keeps the bathroom closed or the closet, but not both. It's an odd setup. Personally when I stay at a hotel, I like both closed, but it's not an option.

The price tag is pretty steep but for a well known hotel/conference centre, I suppose it is to be expected. Staff were helpful and friendly, but one quasi-complaint.

The Company booking of my room meant only one night of my stay was paid on their credit card. Subsequent nights went on mine, to be reimbursed later. Very odd. Good thing I had room on my visa or it might have been a little awkward.

When I checked in, I was advised this was standard - not so at other major chains I've attended conferences at.

Long story short, would I stay there again? Sure. The water issue isn't my problem and the booking I can work out when I get home.

Room Tip: I suspect a southern view may be better. In May of 2014, the north offers a lovely view of a buildi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Had a room facing the street and it was a little noisy, hence called the front desk and have the room changed. The staff were very accommodating and changed the rooms within the hour.
The room was also a little small and the bathroom is a little 'tight'.

Location is great and staff are always there to give you a hand.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear mstsc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that our associates were accommodating and changed your room for you. May I please request that you contact Andrea Fernando at andrea.fernando@westin.com.

Didier Luneau

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Just finished teaching a dental course here and the Westin's staff was outstanding. Every way we turned, they were helping us. One young gentleman, Zachary Weinstein, especially stood out as so pleasant and SO on the ball. I really wanted to pack him up and take him home to South Dakota with me! ;). Nice job hiring, manager John Conmee! ;)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Dentalassist,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that your event with us was successful and that our associates were eager to help! We will share your positive comments with Zachery and John!

Didier Luneau

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Front desk agent Sara T. is absolutely terrific. Everyone we met was very professional and friendly. This hotel is a typical Westin -- very clean, comfortable, good location, modern guestrooms and bathroom. We stayed two evenings on Easter weekend. All elevators were working, but you must use your card to go up and if you mess up with the key card, stop using that input panel and move across door to the other panel to get the elevator to respond. We requested and got the high floor, 16th. The Wifi was very good! We have been in Calgary many times, but this was our first stay at the Westin. Very convenient to China Town, and the Spaghetti Factory is right there. Apparently the Eau Claire mall will be closing for demolition and will be rebuilt as a high rise mall! That was a disappointment as we remember it being very interesting and full about 6 years ago, but the fact that it is winding down helped us! I chose a very inexpensive alternative to the self park, and found it no problem to park for $2.85 U.S. for up to 23.9 hours on each day of the weekend. We wanted to get an "early start" so having to move the car out of the Eau Claire lot by 6am two mornings was not a problem. The idea of using the lot occurred to me when I realized I could see my car there from the room. Street parking over the weekend is also a possibility of you have a touch of patience. If you have not seen it we recommend the Glen Bow Museum, and enjoyed the Asian art exhibit and the minerals and a special exhibit on the iconic BLACK LEATHER JACKET. Lots of roads closed, under repair right downtown.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when going to black sabbath. Room was great nicely appointed with a fridge and robes and a safe Beds are super comfy as are the pillows. You can stay here and not leave as it has a keg and Starbucks connected to the lobby. We walked to the saddle dome took about 20 minutes not bad. Check in and out was easy and got a good rate with expedia. Only negative is the price of parking 25 bucks. But I guess you are downtown calgary. I definitely recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed on Easter weekend and were greeted by friendly staff all the way. The room was very clean and in great condition. Bed was very comfortable! If you drive a pick up you can't park underground but the staff out front are happy to suggest some alternatives. Might bring our little car next time!

Room Tip: Become a Starwood Preferred Guest.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The hotel is right downtown and within walking distance to just about everything. The room was very cozy and I liked the walk in shower. The condition of the hotel was great and the staff provided excellent customer service.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business