“Generally happy and will stay again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
London, Uk
“Generally happy and will stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rooms were a good size and I like it that there were free calls within North America as well as a good internet service. The hotel pool on the rooftop is great, gym quite decent. Breakfast is average in selection, slightly pricey in cost. I wasn't that impressed with the restaurant (the Keg) but hotel is in a good location for getting around and any problems/complaints were dealt with promptly and quite satisfactorily.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very quick and painless check-in. Room was very clean and nice. We got a great price and I must say, the staff were very friendly and willing to assist with any needs. We used the fitness facility and the pool. Both were clean and well equipped. We will definitely be back. Well done!

London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the moment we walked into the front lobby the staff were amazing. They truly take there job very serious they were friendly, courteous and very accommodating. Max at the front desk went beyond to make sure my husband and I had everything we needed any time he saw us in the lobby he inquired that we were having a good time in Calgary and if there was anything we needed. All in all our trip was wonderful however we did get quite frustrated with the key system as we had to turn our key's in three maybe four times as they seemed to lose the ability to use the elevator and open our room even locked me out of my room as my husband waited for me outside as I ran back in for something after calling down to the front desk on the phone outside the elevator they sent someone up quickly but the key thing happened right up until we left very very frustrating.Keep up the good work Westin and we'll definitely stay with you again...

Room Tip: Pick a room with queen bed we had two doubles and had restless sleep no one sleeps two in a double...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Shari C,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I apologize for the issues you had with the key reader and I take comfort knowing that the problem was resolved quickly. I am delighted to hear we made a great first impression with the customer service of our Front Desk associates and I have shared your compliments with Max.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Be well

Didier Luneau, General Manager
surrey, british columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at The Westin Calgary (August 30 to September 2, 2013) over the Labour Day Long Weekend. We were in the Calgary area for a wedding and The Westin Calgary's ideal location in downtown Calgary made it a great base of operation for us.

Pros:

1. Great location in downtown Calgary, with both a Starbucks and a Keg Steakhouse inside the hotel.

2. Although an older property, we booked our junior suite with King bed at $134.25 per night (plus tax, Destination Marketing Fee and Tourism Levy, for a real cost of $150.72 per night). A good rate for a hotel in the downtown core of a major city.

3. Our room 1206 was clean, the King bed was firm but comfortable (my wife did not like the pillows -- The Westin Calgary provides four pillows, two feather and two foam), and the large lcd flat screen television had twenty plus channels and was in high definition. Maid service was excellent each day. Blow dryer, iron and ironing board all provided in the room.

4. Free bottled water and coffee provided in the room.

5. Valet was efficient and we had no issues getting our rental car when needed from valet.

6. Free internet (Not sure if free internet is only for SPG Starwood Preferred Guests. But since it costs nothing to join the SPG rewards program, you really have no excuse for paying for internet).

7. Very pleasant and efficient check-in/check-out staff.

Cons:

1. Valet parking on the weekend is $25 per night, plus $1.25 tax. I understand that valet is more expensive on weeknights.

2. Access to the hotel is a little dicey at the moment, due to on-going construction outside the front lobby.

3. Washroom in room 1206 was very dated, with only a shower (no tub). Long counter, but only one small sink. Towels were adequate, but no large, luxurious bath towels like many high-end properties provide.

4. Insulation in the room was not the best. Noises in the hallway and adjoining room would be troublesome to a light sleeper. Room 1206 has an interior door adjoining the room beside us, and we could hear the people talking. Luckily they did not keep us awake all night. I suspect that the The Westin Calgary management is aware of the noise transfer problem, as they put little flyers in each room explaining that "quiet time" begins at 10 pm and noisy people will have a $200 surcharge placed onto their room charge (not sure if that's legal or not - but it is what the flyer says).

Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is terrible and 10 is excellent, I give The Calgary Westin a 7.5. I would definitely stay at The Westin Calgary again, especially if their room rates remain competitive and their staff continue to provide top-notch service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David P
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed just 1 night at the Westin before our flight back to the UK. As with most hotels we stay at, we consulted Trip Advisor reviews prior to booking – and as usual we weren’t disappointed. The hotel is nicely situated downtown and not far to walk to Stephen Avenue where you can find an abundance of bars, restaurants, shops etc. There were renovations being carried out at the hotel entrance but this wasn’t a problem. The staff were courteous and very helpful – the hotel’s I.T. man kindly sorted out a flight check-in problem we had in their Business Centre computer suite and the staff on the front desk recommended and booked for us a superb Indian restaurant not far from the hotel. Our room was clean and spacious with nice facilities. The only minor criticism (my pet moan) – charging $12 a day extra for Wi-Fi in your room. But overall a good quality hotel, nicely situated, excellent value for money and to be recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

My fifth visit to the Westin - and I know because they left a card, chocolates and strawberries in my upgraded room saying thank you - was as nice as the previous ones even with the renovations going on. It will only get better. Lovely room this time, slightly bigger than the ones I have had before. Good system for reducing housekeeping costs by giving you a Starbucks voucher if you miss a clean. Gym has got a couple of new machines which it needed and it is still a bit lacklustre but it has all the kit at least. Breakfast is a solid buffet. Above all the staff are very friendly and well trained. Top hotel, good location worth a visit.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Sagsma,

Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor. Congratulations on your 5th stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the upgrade, chocolate and strawberries. I have shared this with our teams and we look forward to your next visit!

Be Well

Didier Luneau, General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This is not an ordinary hotel. It is one of the best hotels in Calgary. The staff manning the front desk was very polite and even upgraded our room to a business room. Two queen beds, an flat-screen TV, and a bathroom stocked with amenities. This hotel really blew me away.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family