“Personal touch made for an excellent stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Fredericton, Canada
“Personal touch made for an excellent stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I arrived at the Westin Calgary after a full day of work, then after work meetings, and a 2 hour drive back from Lethbridge; dropped off my rental at the airport and took a cab into Calgary. Needless to say, it was 9:00pm when I arrived, and I was exhausted. While I was paying the taxi driver, the door man (in cow boy hat and slicker) got my luggage, opened the car door for me and gave me a hand out of the taxi. He asked how I was doing, and I replied that I was exhausted...he proceed to ask "could I get you a bottle of water?" I replied "ha! I could use a bottle of wine!"...to which he replied "well, that could be arranged". I kind of brushed it off and indicated it would cost me an arm and a leg to get one, and thanked him all the same. Check in was a breeze and I was soon up in my room unpacking. A knock came to the door, and I was delivered a complementary bottle of wine, along with chocolate dipped strawberries and a handwritten note from Josh, the door man, wishing me a pleasant and restful stay at the Westin Calgary!

This personal touch, and the excellent service throughout my stay at the Westin were really appreciated. I was also invited to a complementary cocktail hour in the Liquid Lounge on Wednesday evening - free wine and beautiful hors d'oeuvres. Such a nice touch to offer your guests. Thanks to the great team at the Westin!

Room Tip: The business tower is very nice and quiet.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Beth F
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear DR_loverSB,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience! I take real comfort knowing that our associates like Josh made you feel comfortable and welcomed making for a memorable stay.

Thank you for the feedback!

Didier Luneau, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We’d arrived by airport taxi so parking wasn’t ever a concern. From check-in to checkout everyone at the front desk was the epitome of care and courtesy — absolutely superb customer service. Every doorman on duty was courteous with greetings and door holding regardless of the time of day. Our bedding and bathroom linens were clean and our king bed and firm pillows were comfortable. The in-room safe and mini-fridge were great conveniences. The shower gave plenty of hot water. Adjustable heating and cooling worked perfectly, as did the window privacy curtains. Flat panel HDTV and switchboard phone message service were always reliable. The elevator back and forth to the 15th floor and room 1511 always worked. Mid-week evening guest hospitality off the lobby was exceptional. When we needed to exchange currency we got full value at the day’s exchange rate. For these reasons and many more, if we ever have business again in Calgary, this centrally located hotel will be our first choice.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for upper floor room away from elevator noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mainemountainbear
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

OMG you need to taste this OJ! Finally a breakfast Buffett that is actually worth the money I pay......Thank You Westin for finally setting the Trend in this city! Wish other hotels would follow suit because I travel often to Calgary and it seems like until the others get their act together My business is with you :)

Thank YOU!

1 Thank 170ASG
Dear A G,

Thank you for your feedback on the freshly squeezed orange juice and our breakfast buffet. I hope you felt refreshed and revitalized!

Be well

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband I celebrated our 20th anniversary at the Westin Calgary. Everything was perfect! Since it was Mother's day weekend, they were greeting mothers with carnations which I thought was very nice of them. Since I am a Starwood Gold member, they upgraded our room at no cost. Later that night, they sent up a bottle of wine and some chocolate covered strawberries with a note congratulating us on our anniversary. A very sweet touch! The concierge was very helpful when I asked about running routes and she provided me with a map for a 5km and an 8km route through Prince's Island park. I have stayed at the Westin Calgary before and service like this is why I keep coming back. I'm already looking forward to booking a girl's weekend with my daughter in the near future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RDawnW
Dear RDawnW,

Happy Anniversary! We were very delighted to find out that you were celebrating your 20th anniversary with us. Congratulations and we look forward to seeing you and your daughter's for your "girls" weekend!

Be well!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was very disappointed with staff at this Westin Hotel in Calgary.
Concierge services were very poor and staff either lazy or not knowledgeable; we were not directed or advised properly and found out the next day (with daylight) how easy and close by it would have been to find what we were looking for instead of hopping around town (luckily Calgary is relatively small)

I asked a clerk at the registration desk if the restaurant offered gluten free options and she did not even know what I was talking about until a colleague stepped in and gave me the answers (yes you do have GF option).

A change of name request in the invoice had to be asked twice, the first time was not completed.

Being a Westin this is not acceptable.
On the other hand, Westin standards are met on design/location/amenities etc.
The hotel has been recently renovated and the room was pristine. The bathroom was clean and functional as well.

Location wise the Hotel is very strategically located in downtown Calgary and close to the water where there are several nice pubs and restaurants too.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sk8rmom4ever
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear sk8rmom4ever,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

I have shared your comments with our team regarding the experience you had with our Concierge services. I am sorry that you were not directed or advised properly with where to go and also for the not being provided the right answer to the Gluten Free option at our restaurant.

May I please request that you contact our Director of Rooms at toby.scott-long@westin.com so that we may discuss further the experience you had.

My apologies again for the inconvenience and disappointment.

Warm Regards

Didier Luneau. General Manager
Kingwood, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here three times now on business and it's very consistent. Reception was very welcoming, and everything was very clean. Most important question -"close to the elevator or away from the elevator". Of course I picked away and the room was on the rear of the hotel. As promised, just fine. My bathroom was quite small, if I was a little overweight I might not have squeezed into the shower. Overall, typical for Westin.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kgwd000
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. The staff are exceptionally polite and accommodating. Great facilities. Great location. Only 4 blocks to the Eaton Centre shopping mall. Handy for everywhere. 15 minutes from the airport. Starbucks next door.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business