“Just Okay”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #26 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'm checking out today and had hoped to sleep in this morning after a long week. Unfortunately construction seams to continue at the bottom of the open pit I can see from my window. To their credit, I did have ear plugs readily available on my nightstand, but I really wish someone would have mentioned they were putting me on the side with the construction at the time of check in. I had originally been put in another king room on the 12th floor with a tiny bathroom. I literally could only fit in the shower if I stood at an angle. When I inquired if all the king rooms were this small, I was originally told at the desk that was the case. Another gentlemen over heard our conversation and when I returned to my room, he told me he'd be coming up with keys to a larger room. I was very impressed with his efforts. While the second room is much nicer, I could only wish it was on the side away from the construction. With all that said, you really can't beat the Westin's location. The breakfast buffet is good, but a bit pricey. I also enjoy the convenience of the Keg for dinner. My only other wish is for a larger workout space. While I would stay here again, I will probably look at another option while the construction is underway.

Room Tip: For the near term, request a floor facing either West or South based on which tower you end up.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,483)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here for a four night stay in a traditional room for business between a Sunday – Thursday. The hotel is an older hotel that has almost completely been refurbished. I say almost completely because the rooms have all had a substantial remodel, but the foot print (size) of the room's is still from the seventies era.

The hotel has everything you need for a business trip but is slightly cramped on space. The rooftop gym facilities had 4 Lifecycle treadmills, free weights and a pool. There is a Starbucks and “The Keg” Steakhouse attached to it (allows billing to the room). The Traditional Room that I stayed in was quite small and I would seriously consider upgrading to the Executive Tower if you were bringing your significant other along on your trip (or staying at the newer Sheraton EauClaire Suites 1 block to the north as you will be quite tight in the room).

Also of note, there a construction tower being built one block to the North East which results in some pounding noises between 7 AM to 7 PM when I was there. Earplugs were supplied in the room but I never used them, nor was the noise ever an issue as I was up during regular business hours.

Personalized service was excellent. I would stay again. Being downtown, there is not much happening after dinner hours – the area is like a ghost town. Even the Starbucks in the hotel closes at 6 PM – this may be an issue if you’re looking to get out of your cramped room.

I would probably stay again given the location and the price point that my company pays for. It is also worth nothing that many of the other larger hotel chains in Calgary appear to be in older style properties as well.

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We checked in here early in the morning after having a terrible stay at a hotel down the street.

We called the reservations department booked a room and were told we could check in right away. We asked for the upgraded corner suite with a balcony. The agent was very nice and helpful. We went to the hotel about half an hour later to check in.

We were greeted by the valet who was friendly. I went to the counter and explained I just booked a room and was told we could check in right away. The girl said "well I'll
Check and see if there is anything available". I told her that I just got off the phone and was told there was. She said "well, I'll check" she seemed a bit snotty and argumentative. She could not find my reservation and had to have her manager come look. Neither of them could find it so they decided to start a new reservation. This was a bit of a pain at 7am and I'm still hoping I don't get charged for the missing reservation.

We got to the room and the key didnt work. I went back to the desk and she gave us a different room number. I wondered if she bad given us keys to an occupied room? When we got to our room we realized we were not in a corner suite. We were too tired to deal with it so we took the room we got.

The room and bathroom was a little small but clean an upgraded. No bathtub which was a dissapointment but had a big tiled shower.

The king bed was comfortable and even though we were facing the street, we did not hear any noise.

We checked out the pool which was enclosed on the top floor. Changrooms were down stairs and a little scary to go in alone. The fitness centre was new and clean. There was no hot tub which was a let down. The pool was grimy looking but went for a quick swim.

There are two restaurants in the hotel and Starbucks. There were also a few places to eat on the same block which was convenient.

There was complementary earplugs, coffee, tea, water bottles in the room which was nice.

All in all a good stay. Nothing amazing. But would come Back here Again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Ashley D, Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and our future guests. We are sorry to hear that you had to deal with any inconveniences while moving to our hotel from a neighboring property. After speaking with the Front Desk team, unfortunately the reservation never came over in our system and we can assure you that you will not be charged for the missing reservation. In regards to the deactivated keys, we are very sorry to hear you had to return to the desk, but we were informed that there was a technical issue with that particular guestroom door. We wanted to ensure that you would be able to enter your guestroom throughout your stay without any issues. We always love hearing from guests who experienced more than just the guestroom at our hotel and appreciate your feedback on the fitness centre and pool. Thank you again for your insights and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Hotel in good location, attached is a walkway leading to ample food courts and mall. The park is only two blocks away and there's a Starbucks in the lobby which is open all day, unlike many other hotel lobby Starbucks. Breakfast was nice but at $28 not the most reasonable I've had. However, there was plenty if choice and if you have a good appetite like myself, it's easy to get your money's worth.
The hotel bar was fantastic, the good looked amazing and the service was very attentive. It was busy, and had a great atmosphere , despite it being a Monday night. There was definitely no need to venture anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Trolley_dolly0

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and all that it has to offer!

Thank you for your post.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip. You can get an airport shuttle that will take you right to the hotel for $15. The hotel looks very elegant. It has a nice Pool, very nice rooms, very nice view from the room. Good Breakfast. Very helpful and welcoming costumer service people at front desk. Great location. Easy check in and check out.

Dear Veronikaflores,

Thank you for your post and comments about our very helpful and welcoming customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Not what it was set up to be. Asked for Champagne and flowers in the room and they forgot.
Room did not have a bath tub, just a shower. The restaurant we wanted to go to closed early.
Sauna is antiquated. All in all not worth the money for a romantic get a way.
The hotel is geared for the business person.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Kim B,

Thank you for sharing your post.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your anticipated Romantic Getaway!
I apologize that your request was forgotten. This is not our usual level of service. As an option we do have suites with bathtubs in our Tower however this may have not been communicated to you.

May I request that you contact Andrea.Fernando-Morris@westin.com regarding your experience?

Again my apologies for the disappointment.

Warm regards.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stay at this hotel frequently as a business traveller, and I would say it is a very well managed establishment. Every detail is taken care of from check in to check out, and the service is top notch.

The rooms are very nicely furnished, and clean. There are two sides to the hotel - the standard side and the "tower" side, which is usually more expensive, or used for upgrading starwood platinum/gold members. I actually prefer the standard side, as the rooms have been recently renovated, although they are a bit smaller.

There is a keg downstairs just off the lobby which is great. There is also the "liquid lounge" off the lobby as well - which offers free drinks/appetizers on Wednesday evenings, in addition to being a small bar.

The gym on the top floor of the tower is pretty decent, includes a pool, and was recently renovated.

The location is overall not quite central downtown, but a bit on the north side, lots of restaurants in the area and the hotel is connected to Calgary's "plus 15" downtown internal walkway system, which means you don't have to go outside as much in the winter, which is a bonus.

Overall, one of the best hotels in the Calgary area. I'd recommend booking early as it fills up quite quickly.

Room Tip: There is some construction on the north side of the building these days (Feb. 2013), so you'll p...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear DDew032,

Thank you for posting on tripadvisor. I am happy to hear you are a frequent visitor!

It is nice to hear all the nice comments about our property from check-in to checkout and that our service is top notch! Glad to here you also enjoy our Wednesday receptions!

We look forward to welcoming you back again!