“Excellent service, nice hotel”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent service, nice hotel”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stay at this hotel frequently as a business traveller, and I would say it is a very well managed establishment. Every detail is taken care of from check in to check out, and the service is top notch.

The rooms are very nicely furnished, and clean. There are two sides to the hotel - the standard side and the "tower" side, which is usually more expensive, or used for upgrading starwood platinum/gold members. I actually prefer the standard side, as the rooms have been recently renovated, although they are a bit smaller.

There is a keg downstairs just off the lobby which is great. There is also the "liquid lounge" off the lobby as well - which offers free drinks/appetizers on Wednesday evenings, in addition to being a small bar.

The gym on the top floor of the tower is pretty decent, includes a pool, and was recently renovated.

The location is overall not quite central downtown, but a bit on the north side, lots of restaurants in the area and the hotel is connected to Calgary's "plus 15" downtown internal walkway system, which means you don't have to go outside as much in the winter, which is a bonus.

Overall, one of the best hotels in the Calgary area. I'd recommend booking early as it fills up quite quickly.

Room Tip: There is some construction on the north side of the building these days (Feb. 2013), so you'll p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear DDew032,

Thank you for posting on tripadvisor. I am happy to hear you are a frequent visitor!

It is nice to hear all the nice comments about our property from check-in to checkout and that our service is top notch! Glad to here you also enjoy our Wednesday receptions!

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Didier Luneau, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

1. Calgary is cold. So the Westin, with its direct access to +15 (a walkway network in the CBD), was fantastic.

2. Heated pool on rooftop with 24 hr card access - certainly helps one thaw out :-)

3. V friendly staff. Maybe because they are Canadian :-D

4. Unfortunately, downtown location also means everything around the area closes by 5pm.

5. Otherwise typical Westin.

1 Thank Footloose_Ed
Dear Footloose_Ed,

It is nice to hear that you took advantage of the pedestrian walkways conveniently connected to the hotel. As Calgary sometimes reaches negative temperatures this is certainly a bonus in our city. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our pool and our friendly staff.

Next time you are around feel free to reach out to our Clefs d ’or concierge team as we actually have plenty of excellent restaurant options around the hotel.

We hope to see you again.

Thanks for your post.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here a few years back and return in Oct/12. I'll break down my review into the two types of guests.
Corporate: This one is easy. If your company is paying the tab, you need a nice place to stay, you've found it here. No need to read on, just book it and let your accounting department take care of your bill & enjoy your stay. 5 * tripadvisor rating.

Private Guest: Here I expect value for $ spent. Whatever room rate you have, if you want internet in your room wired or wireless add $12+/day. If you also have a car to park, that's $20+/day.
If you're coming into town and renting a car, it's almost as much to park your car is it costs to rent. (pick up rental car, drop off before rental location closing and avoid the parking fee).
I've stayed at many nice hotels out in the NE area near the airport (somewhat industrial) that are all new, include wifi, breakfast & parking. Much better bang for the buck spent in my opinion. However if you NEED to stay downtown for conference, etc. the comfort here is good
& staff is friendly. 3* Tripadvisor rating, down from Value/$ spent.

Earlier this year I was in Calgary and stayed at a suite hotel down the block, I wish I could upgrade them one star/circle as I with this as a comparison, they deserve better. They only had a sketchy old elevator as it's biggest fault.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear OccasionalTravellerz,

Thank you for sharing your post and for your feedback.

Regardless of the type of guest or reason for their stay, we put well-being first, our hope is to be people’s first choice of where they stay.

Complimentary Wi-Fi internet is available to enjoy in the lobby and we now have special week end offers on parking and internet for our SPG members.

Be well,

Benson, North Carolina
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Traveled to Calgary for work and was treated to a spacious room and outstanding customer service. All the staff were helpful and on point. Anything I asked for was answered cheerfully and quickly. Very pleased with how I was treated.

Dear Chunnicutt2000,

Our goal at the Westin Calgary is to do everything possible to ensure you leave happier and feeling better than when you arrived.

I am happy to hear you were pleased with our outstanding customer service!

Thanks for your comments

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Westin Calgary is not just another amazing hotel in the downtown core of Calgary, it is also a great place for special events. The food was paired very well to the wine, all the staff were very eager to help or assist anyone in attendance and not to mention everything was extremely professional. To top it all off, the staff continually maintained all the continued food services and drinks with friendliness and the rooms were perfect.

I would definitely attend a function at this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear ChristySwanberg,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your experience at our property and the event you attended. I am happy to hear that your event went well and that is was extremely professional from the pairing of wine to the service of our banquet team. No matter the state of mind our guests check-in, our goal is to do everything possible to ensure they leave happier and feeling better than when they arrived. It brings me great pleasure to know that our associates made an impression with their friendliness and assistance.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Overnight on a business trip and upgraded to a "deluxe" room, which really only got me a free internet package from what I could tell. The rooms were really no frills - no tubs, only showers, a trend I absolutely detest and something that wasn't mentioned at all on the website when booking the room. When a hotel at this price point has wrapped plastic cups instead of glass cups, it comes across as just a bit cheap in my opinion.

The service was excellent, from the front desk staff to the valet, friendly and professional. For 38 dollars, the valet better be good! There's a Keg restaurant right off the lobby, which ended up being my choice for supper, after a look at the prices, service charges and mandatory tips for rooms service, it was far cheaper to go downstairs, sit and eat.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I travel to Calgary AB quite often and I have stayed at all the 4 or 5 star hotels in Calgary as I like to experience something new until I find the best in whatever area I am dealing with whether it is a hotel, a doctor, an airline, etc. I don't try to explore anything new anymore in terms of hotels in Calgary as the service that you can expect from Westin Calgary tops any other hotels in the area.

Everyone looks at different factors to give their 10 of 10. My 10 comes from customer service. No matter how extravagant and fancy the facility is, if the customer service does not exist, I would feel I just waste my money and it could categorically affect my trip in a negative way.

Following is a list of reasons why I believe Westin Calgary deserves my 'excellent' rating during my stay from Dec 21 til Jan 2.

1. Some of the maids on my floor speak limited English. But it was apparent and palpable that they received very strong customer service training at Westin Calgary. Even if you speak perfect English if you don't speak customer service that goes extra miles, your English would not help your business make more money.

The maids and all the staff members who delivered my orders to my order are extremely courteous and affable.

My maid's name was June (forgive me if I spelled your name incorrectly) and I want to thank her for extraordinary smiles.

2. Westin Calgary is currently renovating its gym and the guests were given an option to go to Sheraton Eau Claire and use their gym and pool. The Sheraton is just a block away and we were able to walk. We were given an access key to the gym for two days we used the gym. On both days, the key did not work and I had to go down to the front desk and asked someone to come with me to the gym and open the door for us.

On the second day, I addressed the issue at the front desk politely as I fully understand technical problems could happen all the time. However, I was told by a young front desk lady that she is the only one at the front desk and there was nothing she could do about it. It was her attitude that exasperated me, not the malfunction of the key. She simply showed me the attitude that it was not her problem and she does not care if I can use the facility or not. She turned away and proceeded to do something else while she left me speechless. I ended up going to one of the parking attendants at the bell desk and he had to come with me and opened the door with his key. I don't think you would see the same attitude at Westin Calgary. I stopped going back to the Sheraton after I saw her attitude.

3. Her name is April at the front desk.

I travel all around the world on business and have been to more than 60 countries and met probably thousands of people from different cultures and walk of life.

There are two kinds of people from my experience. One is truly genuine whether it comes from good customer service training or their own personality traits with they were born with. The other is people who do not care about customer service because they stay complacent and only care about their paychecks.

I personally believe that strong and continued customer service training can even change the latter people I described.

April is one who was born with genuine heart who is by nature caring and also was extraordinarily well trained with a good customer service program.

The second I talked with her, I was able to see that she was trying to find a way to make me feel like I am a special guest and what she can do to make my stay more comfortable.

Tina Stride, who booked my reservation, also showed professionalism to respond to my emails no later than 24 hours and showed courtesy to offer an apology when she could not reply to my email immediately because she was on vacation.

Marcos Yu, a true professional, who I am certain is already well known in the hotel industry for his customer service.

Internet wifi connection was very weak in my room and it got disconnected often and it made the connection slow and there was a gap in the shower door and the water came out of a shower.

But it is all offset by excellence by the best staff in Calgary.

I am extremely picky when it comes to customer service and giving good ratings, but Westin Calgary got my 10 during my stay.

Thank you to Westin and I hope all the staff members above-mentioned will be recognized.

Room Tip: There is no spa so I just ranked it excellent as all other services were excellent.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CrisNYCwasabi
DearCrisNYCwasabi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay!

I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with the level of customer service you experienced and felt special with the interactions you had with our associates.

Your experience was shared with our teams to ensure that the appropriate associates you mentioned were recognized for making your experience memorable.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback!

Be well.