“Over and Beyond Customer Service”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Over and Beyond Customer Service”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Westin Calgary is not just another amazing hotel in the downtown core of Calgary, it is also a great place for special events. The food was paired very well to the wine, all the staff were very eager to help or assist anyone in attendance and not to mention everything was extremely professional. To top it all off, the staff continually maintained all the continued food services and drinks with friendliness and the rooms were perfect.

I would definitely attend a function at this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear ChristySwanberg,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your experience at our property and the event you attended. I am happy to hear that your event went well and that is was extremely professional from the pairing of wine to the service of our banquet team. No matter the state of mind our guests check-in, our goal is to do everything possible to ensure they leave happier and feeling better than when they arrived. It brings me great pleasure to know that our associates made an impression with their friendliness and assistance.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back.

Be well

Didier Luneau, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Overnight on a business trip and upgraded to a "deluxe" room, which really only got me a free internet package from what I could tell. The rooms were really no frills - no tubs, only showers, a trend I absolutely detest and something that wasn't mentioned at all on the website when booking the room. When a hotel at this price point has wrapped plastic cups instead of glass cups, it comes across as just a bit cheap in my opinion.

The service was excellent, from the front desk staff to the valet, friendly and professional. For 38 dollars, the valet better be good! There's a Keg restaurant right off the lobby, which ended up being my choice for supper, after a look at the prices, service charges and mandatory tips for rooms service, it was far cheaper to go downstairs, sit and eat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I travel to Calgary AB quite often and I have stayed at all the 4 or 5 star hotels in Calgary as I like to experience something new until I find the best in whatever area I am dealing with whether it is a hotel, a doctor, an airline, etc. I don't try to explore anything new anymore in terms of hotels in Calgary as the service that you can expect from Westin Calgary tops any other hotels in the area.

Everyone looks at different factors to give their 10 of 10. My 10 comes from customer service. No matter how extravagant and fancy the facility is, if the customer service does not exist, I would feel I just waste my money and it could categorically affect my trip in a negative way.

Following is a list of reasons why I believe Westin Calgary deserves my 'excellent' rating during my stay from Dec 21 til Jan 2.

1. Some of the maids on my floor speak limited English. But it was apparent and palpable that they received very strong customer service training at Westin Calgary. Even if you speak perfect English if you don't speak customer service that goes extra miles, your English would not help your business make more money.

The maids and all the staff members who delivered my orders to my order are extremely courteous and affable.

My maid's name was June (forgive me if I spelled your name incorrectly) and I want to thank her for extraordinary smiles.

2. Westin Calgary is currently renovating its gym and the guests were given an option to go to Sheraton Eau Claire and use their gym and pool. The Sheraton is just a block away and we were able to walk. We were given an access key to the gym for two days we used the gym. On both days, the key did not work and I had to go down to the front desk and asked someone to come with me to the gym and open the door for us.

On the second day, I addressed the issue at the front desk politely as I fully understand technical problems could happen all the time. However, I was told by a young front desk lady that she is the only one at the front desk and there was nothing she could do about it. It was her attitude that exasperated me, not the malfunction of the key. She simply showed me the attitude that it was not her problem and she does not care if I can use the facility or not. She turned away and proceeded to do something else while she left me speechless. I ended up going to one of the parking attendants at the bell desk and he had to come with me and opened the door with his key. I don't think you would see the same attitude at Westin Calgary. I stopped going back to the Sheraton after I saw her attitude.

3. Her name is April at the front desk.

I travel all around the world on business and have been to more than 60 countries and met probably thousands of people from different cultures and walk of life.

There are two kinds of people from my experience. One is truly genuine whether it comes from good customer service training or their own personality traits with they were born with. The other is people who do not care about customer service because they stay complacent and only care about their paychecks.

I personally believe that strong and continued customer service training can even change the latter people I described.

April is one who was born with genuine heart who is by nature caring and also was extraordinarily well trained with a good customer service program.

The second I talked with her, I was able to see that she was trying to find a way to make me feel like I am a special guest and what she can do to make my stay more comfortable.

Tina Stride, who booked my reservation, also showed professionalism to respond to my emails no later than 24 hours and showed courtesy to offer an apology when she could not reply to my email immediately because she was on vacation.

Marcos Yu, a true professional, who I am certain is already well known in the hotel industry for his customer service.

Internet wifi connection was very weak in my room and it got disconnected often and it made the connection slow and there was a gap in the shower door and the water came out of a shower.

But it is all offset by excellence by the best staff in Calgary.

I am extremely picky when it comes to customer service and giving good ratings, but Westin Calgary got my 10 during my stay.

Thank you to Westin and I hope all the staff members above-mentioned will be recognized.

Room Tip: There is no spa so I just ranked it excellent as all other services were excellent.
1 Thank CrisNYCwasabi
DearCrisNYCwasabi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay!

I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with the level of customer service you experienced and felt special with the interactions you had with our associates.

Your experience was shared with our teams to ensure that the appropriate associates you mentioned were recognized for making your experience memorable.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback!

Be well.

Wasaga Beach
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I travel for work into Calgary, so my needs might not be terribly complicated – a comfy room, convenient access and perhaps some interesting/fun things to do in the evening. The Westin is the third hotel (all in the upper tier) I’ve tried since starting my Calgary Travels 3 months ago… and it definitely goes to the top of my preferred list!

The hotel has an aura of their fancier ‘W’ hotel, and no compromise on style, cleanliness and great staff operating the hotel. Okay, so reviews are only useful if you provide some constructive feedback and here’s mine for room 828;
- The heat/climate in the room sucks – but this is standard in ultra-dry Calgary – I could not get the temperature in the room to stay comfortable… raise temp and it became crazy dry, lower temp and I felt my head and exposed skin start to freeze (exaggeration). Humidity in the room hovered around 27% - I wish they could centrally humidify the air, but this is a very common issue in the city so I do not fault Westin but do suggest they consider improving this.
- TV, wasn’t always responsive when I turned it on… at times the screen would stay dark but I’d hear the broadcast, I had to repeat a couple off-on cycles to get full functionality.
- Hot water in the sink, turn hot on all the way… took a good minute to actually get hot water – and the strange thing was after the water got hot I’d turn on a bit of cold water and then it seemed like the water went from boiling to ice… was a bit tricky to work with, but not a big issue.
- On the plus side, the Westin provided great room coffee and also complimentary water bottles – yippy! The other two places would ding me $4.50 and $7 for a 1l convenient water bottle – so I was very happy to see the Westin did not stoop to the convenience cash-grab.
- The Westin is also conveniently on the +15 network and with all the other positives going for it, I may never try another hotel in Calgary! :)

Room Tip: Try higher levels as they may have less road noise...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear RocMon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am happy to hear that we are on top of your preferred list and that you enjoyed the complimentary coffee from Starbuck and complimentary water bottles!

I have shared your feedback with our engineering department regarding room 828 and we are already looking in to ways to improve the air quality of our room, the consistency and temperature of the water as well as the responsiveness of the television. It is comments like yours that help us to improve and enhance our guest experience.

Thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed overnight at The Westin Calgary in October, 2012, while on my way to Arizona. While I found the hotel to be generally very comfortable, I found the lobby and some of the other public areas to be austere to the point of being almost barren. The same criticism applied to the bar immediately adjacent to the check-in desk. My room was very comfortable indeed, although the location of the heating/air conditioning unit just below a huge picture window (into which a very cold north wind was blowing) somewhat reduced its efficiency. The service, including the valet parking, was excellent as was the breakfast. To my mind, this would be a very good hotel for the business traveller (as most of those having breakfast appeared to be). While I had no opportunity to explore Calgary itself on this trip, I do note that the hotel is very well located for such an activity.

Room Tip: Avoid north facing rooms during the winter, if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for New Year's Eve and I love this hotel for the fantastic location. Eau Claire market is a block away. Valet parking is a bit more pricey than self parking but the service is outstanding and so convenient. Only 1 robe in the room. In room coffee was good. Flat screen tv was great. Bed was amazing and the linen was heavenly. Room was very clean. Free wifi. In room safe great to have. I will stay here agin. Love having Starbucks in the hotel as well and a Goodlife fitness down the block. My only wish would be to improve the hotel gym, but this is a common issue for me. Gym had 3 treadmills, 2 elliptical trainers some light free weights and one bench in a different room and one old obsolete universal gym.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had traveled to Calgary for a Company Christmas Party and was impressed to see we were put up at the Westin. When we arrived the gentleman to greet people were so very charming and friendly. As soon as walk in the Hotel you smell this amazing sent that calms you. And that was really the feeling throughout the stay. I was put up in the Starwood Preferred tower (Great for avid travelers!) and it was incredible! My room was so comfortable and spacious.
Breakfast the next morning was delightful! I had met with Colleagues and there had been a gentleman who had many complaints about the food, and the staff and the management were so fantastic in seeing that all his concerns and issues were dealt with. We were really not sure what there was to complain about as the food was hot, fresh and delicious but it was still nice to see the staff be so efficient when it came to a complaint.

Great Locations, Staff was wonderful, would come back to this hotel the next time I am in Calgary!