“Westin beds NEVER disappoint, Almost... great.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
New York City, New York
“Westin beds NEVER disappoint, Almost... great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Excellent location, minutes to restaurant and shopping. Ceili's has a beautiful pub directly across the street, Staff is pleasant, Starbucks is in the building.

Rooms are bright and immaculately clean but small. Heavenly bed was wonderful, lovely linens and beautiful bathroom. Free phone calls in North America and excellent wifi.

Room somehow never seemed to get as warm as I would have liked.

Congested reception and not enough staff so potentially long wait just to ask a question.

Room Tip: Put your do not disturb on the door if you want to sleep in. They will knock early to pick up your...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HotelDeeDee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a Calgarian but some friends and myself decided to have a "staycation" and stay one night in downtown Calgary. The location was great! Very easy to get to, close to the river, and close to many restaurants. Right in the bottom of the hotel is a starbucks, which is very convinent. And right across the street is a Tim Hortons! The hotel itself was very nice. There are tons of doormen right at the entrance making it feel quite secure. On the inside the hotel feels quite classy, and modern. There are plenty of elevators so the wait time is short and you do require a room key to be able to access your floor which is another positive for safety. The rooms feel very nice and spacious. We had a nice city view from our room. The bathrooms are very clean and there were plenty of fresh towels. The best part of this hotel was just how quiet it was! We never heard a single sound all night and never even saw another guest on our floor the whole time! This hotel would be best suited for friends, and people staying without children. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Calgary!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Carly J
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Carly J,

Thank you for your taking the time to post on Tripadvisor!

I appreciate all of your comments about the hotel and our great location. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Be well

Dider Luneau, General Manager
Poole, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very nice hotel, central to downtown shops with covered walkways giving immediate access to the +15 area and all downtown shopping. Rooms very clean with all necessary facilities. Breakfast pretty good with buffet and al a carte selection. Bar very pleasant with quite lovely waitresses. Being central Calgary it was a bit expensive but overall I enjoyed my brief stay. Be wary of Alberta at this time of the year (very late Oct). They had had their first snow, temperature was about -3C but dry. Clouds were heavy with snow which made visibility for driving poor and it was only safe to drive on the main roads. However, Banff is near for skiing.

Room Tip: Ask not to stay in rooms that the windows are back to back with other rooms. Not very attractive loo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike P
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Back again after a little over a year.

I was back in the pokey rooms again in the older part of the building but I didnt mind. They are fresh and modern. I personally prefer showers to baths to the large shower is greatly appreciated. The heavenly bed was just that and I appreciated the complimentary wifi.

However the big accolade goes to the very friendly and chatty staff who work here. They all seem very young which perhaps gives the impression that this could be a training hotel but I certainly did not see any form of amateur behaviour. Everyone I dealt with was friendly, chirpy, smiley, approachable and most importantly they could answer my queries with genuine answers and when they had no answer they went and found it for me. This is the sort of professionalism which sets one hotel apart from another.

I shall be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Irishstandards
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Irishstandards,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you that you had an heavenly experience at our property.
Day after day I take a true pleasure to work with such a professional and engaged team and your message gave me a new opportunity to recognize their awesome work!

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Be well

Didier Luneau, General Manager
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I think I stayed in the older part of the building? I thought it was a nice hotel I enjoyed my stay and would stay again, but I felt it was nothing special.. The bed was very comfortable could have taken that thing home.. The tv could have been bigger was quite small.. Great location to walk places in Calgary right downtown, also parking near by at $20 a night I think..

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank yngtraveler
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Booked through hotwire and was very impressed.
The room was well done and the bed was very comfortable. Loved the crisp clean linens.
The only fault was I had to park in a self park behind the Old Spaghetti Factory since my vehicle had a roof box and was too high to fit in the parkade. I was nerves all night long that it would get broken into.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank stantheman99
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin Calgary in July 2012. We travelled to Calgary for my aunt's wedding and after that were heading up to Banff. Overall this was a great experience! I got the hotel for the right price and booked at the right time through Hotwire (months later UFC was announced the same weekend of our stay and prices skyrocketed)!

Upon arrival at the Westin we checked in with Jane. Jane went above and beyond! I asked her how much wifi was at the hotel...after telling us the cost we decided against it. BUT then, Jane offered us complimentary wifi for the whole of our stay. That was awesome and unexpected! Our room was also gorgeous and very clean! During our stay there was construction on one of the streets below and the hotel actually took it upon themselves to provide ear plugs, wow!

The only complaint I would say I have is that the wifi in our room was not that great. There was hardly any signal and so many times we would be kicked off of the wifi! I called down once and they did send a man up, however, it didn't make a difference.

Other than that, the overall experience was great. The staff was excellent and friendly, and the rooms comfortable and clean. The hotel is also conveniently located in the downtown core making it walking distance to everything with many restaurants around, also a Keg is located in the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a strong wifi signal.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AleahC
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear AleahC.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about Jane's customer service. As for the signal issue you had, we are currently working on deployment of CISCO and SHAW systems that will help gain some signal strength and stability in our hotel.

I am happy to hear that overall you had a great experience at our property and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Thanks again for your feedback

Didier Luneau