“Plenty of room for improvement.”
Review of Glenbow Museum

Glenbow Museum
Ranked #12 of 306 things to do in Calgary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: At Glenbow, history buffs, art lovers and pop culture fanatics can all find something inspiring. Explore fascinating historical galleries and exhibitions of art and culture from around the world. We are conveniently located in downtown Calgary on Stephen Avenue Mall, just steps from the Calgary Tower and one block away from the C-Train LRT line.
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We decided to go to the Glenbow as a date activity one afternoon since when we travel, museums are always top on our lists of things to see. There were 3 current exhibitions:
"Worn to be Wild: The Black Leather Jacket" ; "Bryan Adams: Exposed" & "Made in Calgary: The 1990s" .. as well as the regular permanent exhibitions.

- The Worn to be WIld exhibit had a few interesting pieces but overall was rather disappointing. I was expecting more than a couple blurbs and jackets that were 'typical of' certain places or times (ie: worn in Wisconsin in the 1970's). It reminded me more of a vintage shop rather than an educational exhibit. For example, there was only 1 jacket (of a total of about 30 jackets overall) from any war and there were just 3 famous pieces (from Terminator 2, Elvis & House M.D.).

- Bryan Adams' photographic exhibit was a positive spot. It was interesting and showed an array of emotions. PG13 for the prudish (couple of breasts) or easily upset (healed war wounds).

- Made in Calgary wasn't something I went into with preconceptions and I was still quite disappointed. Having been in Calgary for half of the 90's and exposed to the art world I expected a HECK of a lot more than a couple random pieces scattered about. There was no continuity, no real movements and for the most part, not even interesting.

Otherwise we spent time the most time in "Warriors" and "Treasures of the Mineral World" which were rather interesting. They could certainly have done more with each exhibit but they were enjoyable as is.

We did not attend the kids' areas so I cannot comment on their educational value or interest.

1  Thank Tamara G

Reviewed March 7, 2014

very nice place have lots to see as there is alot of history stored their. takes awhile to walk around and see everything.The building is very nice and good location downtown kitty corner from City hall.

1  Thank countryside40
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have been to the museum 2 times found it very different second time around a bit disappointed not enough about the indian culture I understand times change but visitors from various parts of the world like me are interested in the indian culture of north America (blackfoot.sioux etc).it is still a wonderfull museum to visit so please go see for yourself and enjoy

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The museum has a little bit of everything from art, rocks and minerals, history about Alberta, and other temporary exhibits.

I learned a fair amount about Alberta while there and the gift shop is really cool with some solid items. I also liked the fact that it didn't feel like a kids museum.

It's worth a visit if you're in town, you'll have a great time there.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We don't normally visit many museums but as it was -17 outside and snowing we needed something to do inside. Initially we were disappointed with the collections on the 2nd floor but the permanent exhibitions on the 2 top floors is very extensive and varied history of the area. We spent 3 hours there's and had to rush the last bits as it was closing, could easily spend much longer.