“This ain't no national chain!”
Review of Farm - CLOSED

Farm
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Neighborhood: Beltline
Sherwood Park, Canada
“This ain't no national chain!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My guest had homed in on Farm while she was out for a stroll the evening prior to our visit. She was hoping I would be up for something different and this promised to fit the bill. To be fair, there are dozens of funky restaurants and shoppes lining this historic area of Calgary which includes not only 17th avenue SW but 4th Street SW. Sometimes, you just want to throw a dart. But this warm spring evening, we were up for whatever was being served at Farm. The staff is exceedingly educated on not merely the menu but, the Janice Beaton Cheese section at the back that was the start of this small restaurant. We decided we would try a cheese only evening on our next visit but for this night, we were going to attack the menu. My Vancouver guest ordered the wild boar, walnut crusted boar belly in Korean BBQ sauce. Being a prairie boy myself, I tucked into the bison short ribs with cheddar polenta and truffle roasted tomatoes. Our server kindly brought two side plates and we could not decide which of the incredible offerings had been the best. We were satisfied it was a tie when the decision for dessert loomed. Our very agreeable server suggested she just bring her own favorite and as we were so adept at sharing, she would bring two forks. The carrot cake with goat cheese cream topping was spot on! We sat outside because that is what visitors should do on 17th Avenue on a warm evening. I could not comment on the seating inside as we never really entered this quaint little eatery. Perhaps the prices are to the higher side but we were looking for something exceptional rather than reasonable. And to that end, Farm delivers.

• Visited May 2014

Calgary
“Wonderful service, great food, fun ambience”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Went with the girlfriends for a birthday celebration. Service was friendly but not overpowering. We ordered a cheese platter (given the restaurant is connected with Janice Beaton fine cheese) and the platter was amazing. They bring you all these extra little tasters to bring out the taste of the cheese (almonds, onions, etc). I mentioned I was celiac and did not have to think of it again. They brought out gf crackers for me (how easy is that- seems other restaurants are challenged with gf crackers). Then server made recommendations for me. I had the manitoba pickeral and it was wonderful. Yummmmm.
Gotta go again!

• Visited April 2014
Calgary
“Pretentious, Overpriced and About the Chef NOT the Customer”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This place was a waste of money and a waste of a night out. The crowded restaurant is set up to get as many people in as possible instead of a conducive atmosphere for socializing. We were seated at a table facing the wall. When we asked to move to another table, we were told they were fully booked. Two more preferable tables were still empty by the time we finished our meals.

When I asked to substitute bacon on my salad for a leaner protein option I was immediately told NO. Then after inquiring further "surely there is something else you have here for protein - this is a restaurant?" I was told that it would cost me extra money - as if the prices on the menu were not already outrageous. I ended up paying $9 for a small plate of lettuce with mediocre dressing.

For a restaurant that boasts fresh and local foods, it is strange that there is nothing 'healthy' on the menu except lettuce. Substitutions on health preference will cost you more. PORTIONS ARE VERY SMALL and the chef surely does not appreciate healthy fine dining, just upcharging people who make healthy choices.

If you are looking for a night out to enjoy good food on your terms without breaking the bank, or starring at a wall while you eat, then AVOID AT ALL COSTS - FARM!

Rant continued . . . the attitude of the staff indicate that this restaurant is about the owner's preference - not the clients. It is times like this when I am so thankful for Trip Advisor. I hope I helped you make a good decision for your meal out!

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank FoodAttackAddict
Calgary, Canada
“always excellent”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We have been to Farm about 4 times now -- once for dinner and 3 times for weekend lunches. We have always had an excellent meal.

Recently we stopped in for lunch and lucked out getting a small table by the window. It was a dreary - snow filled - day -- so any bright spot was welcome. Our waitress was excellent -- super helpful with ideas for food and drinks.

We had the Brunch Burger and the Mac & Cheese with added ham. Both were amazing -- awesome flavours and very fresh. A couple of glasses of wine rounded out the lunch hour and we were on our way.

Can't wait to come back!

PS - check out the cheese shop in the back of the restaurant -- some excellent choices to take home with you.

• Visited March 2014
Calgary, Alberta
“Great Little place in Calgary”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My wife and i decided to try out FARM on a recommendation from a friend. We were very impressed by the food. The place is quite small so i would recommend getting a reservation. The olives were one of the highlights of the meal and i would say that everyone show try them. We both had the chef's tasting menu which was a great selection of local fresh ingredients. If you are trying to find a place on 17th ave to eat, i would highly recommend trying FARM

• Visited February 2014