“very funky hotel”
Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

Nuvo Hotel Suites
Ranked #82 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Great little hotel in an excellent location downtown. I stayed at the hotel with my husband, adult children and other family members. The rooms were very comfortalbe with great amenities,kitchens with dishwasher, microwave, coffee maker, washer/dryer. Very fun furniture in the rooms and from what I saw, each room had different chairs. The beds were very comfy and lots of great pillows. Ample closet space with an iron and small ironing board also. The washrooms are wonderful but would be nice to have some drawers to store items in as counter space was limited,
There is a Safeway across the street, also a dry cleaners, liquor store, pub and Starbucks on the corner. I loved the location, easy to walk to many different places or a short cab ride if you prefer. It's a nice change from the standard boring hotel room that has no character. Personally I loved this hotel and the location and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank maggiewsKelowna

Reviewed November 25, 2009

My criteria for a good hotel room are:
1) room is totally dark
2) quiet
3) really good bed
4) stable room temperature (not too hot, not too cold)

My room had a nice bed.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
exuburanceforhotels, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2009

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your review of Nuvo Hotel Suites. I am pleased to hear that you did find the bed comfortable, and I would just like to address a few points.

We have a limited number of rooms with blackout blinds that are available on request, and the majority of our rooms allow for more natural light to come into the rooms in the morning, as we have found that a lot of our guests request rooms with abundant natural lighting. If you are back with us at Nuvo in the future, please let us know that you would prefer a room with the blackout blinds, so that we can ensure you are more comfortable next time.

As Nuvo is located in the beltline, very close to the core of downtown Calgary, there can be some traffic noise that can affect the rooms at the front of the hotel. The rooms near the back tend to be much quieter, and our front desk staff will happily accommodate requests for quieter rooms on an as available basis.

We hope to welcome you back to Nuvo in the future.

Nuvo Hotel Suites Management

Reviewed October 30, 2009

Was on business just one block away so ideal location for me - I stayed for two nights.
Safeway across the road, if you don't want to get ripped off and have lousy service in Calgary restaurants. I'm glad I didn't have a car - parking looked challenging.
Free wi-fi, spacious room. $139. What's not to like?

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank amherstburgmac
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My husband & I stayed at the Nuvo Suites in October '09 on the last night of our British Columbia honeymoon. Firstly, I clearly did not research the hotel enough as some of the negative reviews on TA would have scared me off; secondly, I swear that Nuvo had rated #2 in Calgary when I looked (not #42!). Ah, well.. live and learn.

The hotel isn't horrible - just weird and not the relaxing, easy hotel experience I was looking for after two long days of driving to Calgary from Tofino on Vancouver Island. It's more like staying at a friend's condo than a hotel - one where you pay $190 to crash overnight.

There building appears to be a converted condo or apartment building; there is no driveup entryway, no lobby, no real front desk; the hotel staff check you in from an office (looks like they converted room 2201). I don't quite get all the raves over location; the building is near the Stampede and the sports complex, but other than that, it does not appear to be a particularly charming area. I don't know Calgary at all, but there is a big construction site next door, and there was no coffee shop, restaraunt, pub, etc., that I saw within 3 or 4 blocks. I knew we would be arriving late (around 10pm) so I purposely picked a regular hotel (rather than B&B or VRBO) for ease in parking, checking in, etc. However, the parking is not obvious (I had to double-park, code into the apartment complex door, get instructions from the desk staff, then go back out, drive around to the back of the building, and park in the Starbucks lot, where every space says 'tow away zone" and nothing says "Nuvo Hotel." The parking is outside, uncovered and unsecured, and $15/night. There were no clear signs on the back of the hotel, so we missed the back entrace and lugged our bags around to the front; there are no elevators in the building, so we lugged our huge bags up the dingy, narrow staircase. We felt like we were back in a Manhattan apt building.

The hotel staff were very nice, but the check-in process is just weird and confusing. You really do not feel like you are at a hotel. The 'office' is not manned 24 hr/day; I was glad we got to the hotel before 10pm, as no one would be there to check us in. They did, nicely, call me and leave a message with the code to the hotel door and code to our hotel room door in case we arrived late, but still, without ever having been there, and having no clue where to park (and no parking signs anyway) that would have been extremely frustrating.

The room itself was funky; like a tiny Manhattan studio, complete with Murphy bed, but not overly cozy. I *like* modern furniture, but the linoleum floor was ice cold and only one chair was actually comfortable; the only other space in the tiny room was the bed. I can see that it would be convenient for a long term stay, given the kitchen; but there was nowhere to put toiletries in the tiny bathroom, no desk to work at or table to eat at and really no room to spread out.

Since it doesn't really seem to be a 'hotel' there were no hotel amenities; no restaraunt, no gym, pool, sauna, no bar, no nothing other than a building full of rooms. On the plus side the rooms do have a big screen TV and free Wfifi. If the room had been $100, I would have said it was basic but clean, and a nice budget option. But at $190 for the night... this was definitely not what I was looking for on our last night in Canada. There have got to be better places for the money in downtown Calgary.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kmportero
exuburanceforhotels, Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

Thank you for your review of Nuvo Hotel Suites. As the General Manager, I would like to clarify a few points.

Nuvo is an apartment style hotel, with no traditional hotel amenities. We offer affordable accommodation in downtown Calgary, with our average room rate around $139 per night. There are periods where our rates are $159 per night, and with parking at $15 per night, plus all applicable taxes, the total would be near $190 per night.

There are numerous restaurants, coffee shops, and pubs nearby Nuvo. With a Starbucks beside us, Brewsters pub across the street, and 4 restaurants within 1 or 2 blocks, Nuvo is ideally located. I am unable to post a link to a google map, but if you google restaurants near 827 12th Avenue SW you will see plentiful options.

While our front desk is only open until 10pm, we have specific procedures for late night check ins, which works very well for our guests.

Thank you again for staying at Nuvo, and we hope you enjoyed your honeymoon in Canada.

Nuvo Management

Reviewed October 3, 2009

My travel agent booked Nuvo Hotel Suites in July because I had wanted a kitchenette. I read here that air conditioning had been installed and so was surprised that we were given a room that had none. Not only was this missing but tables, furniture and even the phone. We were tired when we arrived so didn't have the energy to complain then. We also couldn't open the window because it was directly on the street at street level, so if we didn't keep the curtain closed, people walking by could look in. The next day after suffering a lousy night sleep, I talked to the gal in the office, and she did offer us one other option because the place was full, which was a room one story up also with the window right on the street. I said that I expected the air conditioner to be included this time at the least, because we were staying two more nights. We left for the day and when we came back this room was ready for us. I was surprised to see how much different it was from the one we were put in the previous night. It was so much nicer, and cooler in our room. I still would have loved to open a window, but there was no way. I really liked the people in the office, although I had a problem that even though we reserved a room several months before we arrived, were given a room that really shouldn't have been given to anyone. So, if you book this hotel, make sure you insist that you get a room away from the street and that it has a portable air-conditioner sitting in the room when you arrive. Had we been given the room we received the next day after I complained, my review of this hotel would have been different even though it still did face the street.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank feistylady55
exuburanceforhotels, Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to review Nuvo Hotel Suites, and we are pleased to hear that you did enjoy your stay after switching rooms.

Nuvo has several different room styles with unique layouts, and some rooms contain more furniture than others. All of our rooms are fully furnished, and we have looked into the situation, and ensured that the hotel is not missing furniture in any room.

Please contact Nuvo Hotel Suites with any questions about room layouts, and we would like to thank you again for taking the time to review us online.

Best Regards,

Nuvo General Manager

Reviewed September 20, 2009

My stay at the Calgary Nuvo Hotel was terrific. The room was comfortable and quiet, the location was great for my meetings, the hotel staff were very friendly and the computer support person was exceptional. I appreciated being walking distance to the downtown core (no parking hassles) and the easy access in and out of town. Parking was a bit awkward, but worked out just fine. I will not hesitate to stay here again when I'm in Calgary.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank executivecoach44
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Althoght the room at Nuvo was very nice and the staff quite helpful, we found not having air conditioning very uncomfortable at night especially when the balcony doors could not be opened asthe down town noise was too much. The appartly very new washer/dryer in the room - a key part of us booking this hotel - was leaking all over the kitche floor and did not wash our clothes after one full night. After borrowing the staffs pliers we got the machine working but it took two days to wash our clothes and attempt to dry them - half where still wet and the other half had been dryed that much you could not touch them they where so hot and had shrunck - Not Happy!!!
The location was very convenient as it was only across the road to Safeway and two doors down from a liquer store.
Overall even though the room was very clean and quite new looking and extra service and manintenace was not good enough for the extremely high price we paid

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank loulou000Australia
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2009

Dear Guests of Nuvo,

Thank you for taking the time to review Nuvo, as we appreciate feedback. We are keen to ensure that all appliances in the suites work properly, and have since repaired the leaking machine referred to in this review.

As well, we have since added air conditioning to our suites, which guests are finding much more comfortable.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the style and decor our of rooms, as well as the location.

We hope that you will be back again in the future.

Nuvo Hotel Suites Management