“Not a business hotel, weird set up, small”
Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

Nuvo Hotel Suites
Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Booked this on line and seemed like a good choice in terms of rate and amenities. The room itself was done up quite nicely - nice kitchenette, good chair, wardrobe. I travel for business, and the things that I did not like (some to be fair are comparisons to more "standard" hotels compared to a boutique one like this):
- The work space for business purposes is non existent. Bar stool at an overlap counter as part of the side of the kitchen - no real knee space and back started to get very sore in short order. Ended up going to a Starbucks to sit comfortably.
- Bed is on a pedestal with a dark wood 12 - 15" lip. Hit my legs on it numerous times ... the room is small and I would suggest you be VERY careful if you get up in the night or move around in anything other than full light.
- Others have mentioned the parking, which is a challenge. May be not great marketing, but should be mentioned in fairness to guests who are looking to book (i.e., on the website).
- You need a code to get into the doors after hours, and a different code to get in your room. Whatever you do, do NOT lose the card with this ... can only imagine the fun you would have, as there is no one on site overnight.
- Air conditioning is via a floor system ... extremely noisy.
I have sleep apnea and as such travel with a CPAP machine. The only plug by the bed (there were no night tables by the bed) was on the far side of the bed with little room to get to it (as is where the light for night reading is). Had to crawl over the bed to get my machine set up ... not much fun with that.

Location is pretty good, but the balconies over look a parking lot ... not the greatest scenery!

All in all, I would not return to this hotel when I return to Calgary. Just too many issues to make it worthwhile for me and for business travel. I would pay more for a better location and better room / layout / ability work work and not bark my shins.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank twokidsonecat
There are newer reviews for Nuvo Hotel Suites

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Its a small little hotel in a good location with lots of amenities around. Room was small but clean and had what we needed. Room was equipped with a full kitchen which was very handy considering we had our 1 year old with us. Only thing that I didn't like was that the parking was located about a block away in a seperate building. Parking is $18 a day which in my opinion should be included in the room rate considering its off the hotel site. Other then that my experience was a good one. I would stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is a chic little hotel created from a former apartment building...That's about as far as it goes. No elevator, so be prepared to lug your baggage up 3 or 4 floors. ALL the stair doors are propped open, which is a VERY big fire hazard because any fire will spread smoke through the exits and all of the floors. The room doors offer no sound attenuation... it was so bad that at one point I woke up and thought someone was in our room, but it was in the hallway! They say every room is air conditioned, but they don't mention that it's a noisy little floor unit. $18 to park a block away, and the 20 minute loading zone in front was never available when we needed it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J D
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

The good with this hotel is: it looks modern, is in a great downtown location, and the beds are ok.

The bad while I was there: They didn't have the room I booked. They ran out of coffee creamers and told me I had to wait for the next shipment of supplies which would arrive after we left, even though safeway is across the street! They should have ran and got something from safeway instead of having a hotel full of annoyed coffee drinkers. The room still had a lot of crumbs on the kitchen counter (I know it's not a big deal but still annoying). The shower rods aren't secured, so mine fell on me while I was showering. And parking is $18 a day!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leanne S
NuvoHotelSuites, Front Office Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you for your feedback of Nuvo Hotel Suites, and we are sorry to hear that not everything was to your satisfaction. Although we have always tried to maintain high standards for our housekeeping, we have recently taken steps to make sure that the final inspections are managed in a more consistent manner. It is our hope that this action will eliminate any cleanliness or supply issues from being overlooked in the future.

Although we have tried to avoid increasing our parking fees, Nuvo Hotel Suites itself is unfortunately also a victim of the high parking rates in the Calgary Downtown area. Rather than increasing our room rates so that we can provide "complimentary" parking with each stay, we have chosen to separate them so that only guests requiring parking are subject to the costs.

Nuvo Hotel Suites relies on the feedback of its guests to increase our awareness of areas that require improvement. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon, as we have made efforts to ensure that the experience will be a more enjoyable one.

Kind Regards,

Nuvo Hotel Suites Management

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of our skiing trip to Canada and one night at the end. These were return trips as we had stayed there last year, at much the same time of year. The rooms, being converted apartments, are spacious and well-appointed with all the conveniences of an apartment, making self-catering very easy especially as there is a supermarket diagonally opposite. We didn't have a car so parking wasn't an issue, and the hotel is very centrally situated for downtown Calgary and there are many restaurants in the vicinity. We found that it was better to stay on the upper floors as they are quieter but with no elevator, dragging suitcases up the stairs was hard! The second time we stayed, we were on the ground floor near the front door, which was a bit noisier as we heard people coming and going. The free highs-speed wifi kept my husband happy, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Great place for a short-term, self-catering stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor, near the front door if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Shelley C
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the Nuvo for one night the day after Valentines day as we came down from Edmonton for a quick get away and I would say the hotel was nice and modern and perfect for a quite get away in the city however what transpired after we left really pi**ed me off. We get a call from the hotel a half an hour after we left accusing us of stealing the robe from the room. There was no robe in our room when we arrived but the cleaning lady makes sure that the robes where in the room when she cleans them so it was obvious that we stole it. We adamantly denied ever seeing a robe in the room when the front desk clerk asks me if I packed it accidentally. I told him that there was no robe in the room and we sure as h*ll did not steal it. We have stayed in alot of hotels in the past and we have never worn the robes they supplied as frankly it's disgusting in our opinion.
Fast forward two days and I check my credit card balance and they charged me $105 on my credit card for the missing robe. Are you kidding me? I left a message for the general manager but no response which enraged me even more.
So word of advice, do a checklist of everything that should be in the room and report it to the front desk so you don't get scammed by the shady cleaning staff. Better yet avoid this place all together!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Ken D
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for your feedback of Nuvo Hotel Suites. We always offer a guest bathrobe in all of our suites, as it is a standard amenity at our hotel. On each bathrobe is a card stating that there is a charge for the robe if it is not in the room at check out.

As guest satisfaction is very important to us at Nuvo, we have reversed the charge on the guest's credit card, in a show of good faith.

We always welcome feedback from guests at Nuvo, and appreciate any opportunity for a dialogue on how to best improve our hotel to provide the optimal guest experience.

Sarah Webb

Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is an old apartment block converted to a hotel, its almost impossible to find and PARKING, No there is no on site parking then they send you to one that's two blocks away (try that in 20 below) and charge around $18, Rooms are OK once inside using some crazy code system and the front desk is like something out of a bad movie. This is a dump, maybe one star. Don't go there, there are too many nice hotels in Calgary for what they are charging.

Room Tip: Just go somewhere else. !!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Scotty G
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you for your review of Nuvo, and we are sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay in Calgary at our hotel. Nuvo is a small apartment hotel which was renovated in 2008, and many of our guests enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel, and the personalized service which we are able to offer.

Nuvo is not a typical corporate hotel with a lobby or on site parking, but our heated secure parking spots are just a short one block walk away, and at $18 a night, it is very fair value compared to many downtown hotels charging $30-$40 a night to park.

The check in office at Nuvo is in one of the suites, which we have converted to a welcome area, and we are in the midst of planning further renovations to the space.

Calgary weather in the winter can sometimes be freezing, and it is unfortunate that your stay coincided with a cold snap, hopefully the weather will be more pleasant on your next visit.

Kind Regards,