“Everything we expected.”

Nuvo Hotel Suites
Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Everything we expected.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at Nuvo hotel when we came to Calgary for a music festival and when we arrived the staff was very friendly, knowledgable and accommodating. We were worried about parking in the downtown area, but there is a very secure underground parking garage across the street.
The rooms were modern and clean, and the kitchen had everything we needed. We felt comfortable and like we were at home. We never had any issues with sleeping, or it being too loud from the outside or inside of the building. Lots of storage and the balcony was a decent size. There is a Safeway across the street and Starbucks on the corner, BMO Centre was a ten minute walk, making the location excellent.
The building is very secure, the use of codes to get into the building was comforting to us. Before we chose Nuvo we had read reviews of prostitutes outside of the building, making me worry of the location, but I never felt unsafe walking around the area and never saw any company mentioned in previous reviews.
I will definitely be back to Nuvo hotel.. It was one of the best places I have stayed in my many travels and for an excellent price.

Room Tip: Get a balcony!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cmjoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Spent a night at Nuvo Suites. First thing I want to mention is that the office closes at 10PM. They left an envelope with keys for me, along with access codes to enter the building. If you're checking in late, make sure you let the office know so they can get instructions to you!

The suite was well set up for an extended stay. Nice kitchen, comfortable bed. The suite has independent climate control and the windows open. The floors were laminate and in need of dusting/mopping - recommend you keep your shoes on. There's a grocery store right across the street (opens at 8AM) and various coffee places nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 21, 2013

During a recent one-night stay in Calgary, I chose Nuvo Hotel when the usual chain locations had no vacancy. As a business traveler on this specific trip, I would say my experience was less than impressive.

I arrived in a full suit with heals, toting my bags; there is no elevator so that included toting them up to the 4th floor using a narrow staircase. The check-in process was pleasant and the team at the front desk was helpful in showing us how to enter room codes and where our dining choices were located. And there were complimentary Jelly-Belly jelly beans for the taking at the desk.

After hoisting myself to the 4th floor with bags in tow, the initial impression of the room was good. Seemed clean, was quaint and offered the basics...a good place to sleep. On further inspection I noticed an AC unit in the middle of the living room with a large hose leading to the sliding door. Pulling back the shades, they had crafted an exit point for the large hose that prevented the door from closing and locking, and left a 1/4 inch gap to the outside. While security was my first priority, this also meant loud street noise. Since the desk is vacated at 9pm, I hurried down to change rooms which they allowed me to do. In my next room, there was no such sliding door issue, but the window AC unit's power cord ran across the kitchen sink to the outlet (sigh). At least the second room was quiet.

There are no business services offered (ability to print boarding passes), no onsite dining options, no fitness center and NO WAKE UP CALL SERVICE. And, there is no way of calling room to room as each unit has an unlisted number of it's own. I will give them extra points that there was not charge to call anywhere in North America.

All in all, I scored a 3 as I could see where someone on holiday may see this as a great experience, but it certainly made me miss the convenience of those hotels that cater to business travelers, as mundane and cliche as that may sound.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with quarter windows instead of the sliding glass doors...they are more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WindmillKid
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Nuvo. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our excellent customer service, and bowl of jellybeans!

I wanted to let you and all other potential guests know that our office is happy to print anything required, such as boarding passes, for all of our guests. As well, I would like to clarify a few points about the hotel, and we will be endeavoring to ensure this information is more easily accessibly for all guests.

We offer guest discounts at a full service gym 2 blocks away from the hotel, Heaven's Fitness. For dining options, we do offer an in suite breakfast box, and we have a number of menus in the front office for restaurants that deliver to the hotel suites.

We have alarm clocks in each room, and we are looking into wake up call solutions, which we are hoping to be able to offer guests soon. Our phone system also allows for guests to choose individual numbers to their room, set with the area code of their city of residence. Our VOIP system allows for a Vancouver, or Edmonton, or Toronto number to be set up to ring directly to a guest suite, so that our guest's office, family, and friends can dial a local number to reach a guest even though they are in Calgary. This is a relatively new service we provide, and more information will be in our rooms shortly.

Thank you again for your feedback, as it is valuable to us so that we can use it to enhance all future guest experiences.

Sarah
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The location of the Nuvo Hotel Suites is great for doing business in Calgary. More of a apartment then a hotel room with fully equipped kitchens, washer / dryer and a nice balcony to relax on. Lots of shops, coffee shops and restaurants near this hotel, including a Safeway, Starbucks and liquor store.

Highly recommend to travellers looking for a nice place to stay for a multiple night stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Impressed by this small hotel I unexpectedly came across. Its one of the best value hotels in the area for only $120 on weekends and $150 during the week! Its central to everything and the rooms are newly renovated and stylishly modern. There's a Safeway across the road and the room has a kitchen and cook area as well as a washer and dryer. You wouldn't even guess it! So very very impressed, am definitely recommending this to everyone. Only negative is the wifi, slow during peak hours and constantly dropping out. Fine between 9am - 4pm though. Gym just a short few blocks away too. Staff also very helpful and casual, really impressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review Nuvo. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I thank you for letting us know about the WIFI. We are currently working on a solution with Shaw to enhance our internet speed during the peak evening hours.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel is functional and ideal for a short stay in Calgary. The outside might look cold and unwelcoming but the apartments are clean and well furnished. It is located next to a Safeway (supermarket) and a 15min walk to the city center. Reception is on the second floor where maps and other information are provided. The sleeping couch was not very confortable though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We chose Hotel Nuvo because it was close to family and the price was right. We like places that are a bit different, and this one certainly fit the bill. It felt more like a cool city apartment than a hotel.
The hotel is a great location, walking distance to everything. There is a Safeway across the street, a liquor barn next door and a Starbucks on the corner. The office provides printed recommendations for local restaurants and pubs. .
We had a standard queen, no balcony and our room was excellent. Spacious, super stylish, cool furnishing and fittings, lots of storage, built in coffee maker, fridge, stove and dishwasher. The bathroom was small but nicely finished and the kitchen was well stocked. Our room was on the third floor on the front corner of the building. The view from the bed was a brick wall, but from anywhere else – including the angled window seat, we had a fabulous city view. This was a wonderful place to sit back, have a glass of wine and enjoy the view. We loved it.

In short, it was perfect – until we went to bed. The air conditioner was very loud and placement of the air conditioner made it impossible to open a window. It made for a poor night’s sleep. I believe that most of the rooms have portable air conditioners and windows that open.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I would forgo the view for a room with a balcony and a window that opens.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple