“Nuvo Hotel Suites” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Nuvo Hotel Suites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have stayed in quite a few hotels and Nuvo Hotel Suites is by far the best. Affordable, extremely clean, wonderful rooms with full kitchen. The staff I had the pleasure to deal with (Monique and Paul) were very helpful, caring and polite. I would recommend Nuvo to everyone. This is the only hotel in Calgary I would ever stay at.
Jen T.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JenT19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Brooks, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Nuvo Hotel Suites is a great place to stay, with a decent price! I stayed there for two nights while taking a course at the Best Western 2 blocks away in April. The rooms were very clean, the sheets smell sooooo good! The bed was super comfy, and so were the pillows. If you have a car and the parking is available, you can park in their "under the building" garage for $15/day, and use your own garage door opener...sweetest thing ever! The doors have keypads instead of using room cards, which is nice, my room keypad happened to be my phone number, lol, convenient, can't forget that! This room comes with everything, even a Keurig! The hotel is right beside a liquor store, a Starbucks, and a Safeway...really, what else do you need! There is no elevator, just the stairs, not a big deal considering it doesn't hurt to get a little excercise. The people at Nuvo were very polite and helpful. They even refridgerated my food & beverages for me until I was finished my course on check out day and brought my bags to lobby for me to pick up. Now you tell me...what other hotel does that? Not one i've ever stayed at!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Donna M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 10 days in March and it was well worth the money. The cooking facilities were most enjoyable mostly due to the proximity to a Safeway store across the street. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and equipped with a washing machine which came in useful.
The hotel can be a bit noisy at night as people come and go but not to the extent of being annoying. Staff were great and parking was very convenient.
I think it is good value and well located in the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dunnekk
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had a business trip to Calgary and wanted to stay downtown. There are many hotels in the area, however The Hotel Nuvo was a cost effective place near the heart of the city. The Hotel Nuvo is not in the heart of the city, but the rates for these hotels were much higher. If you’re looking for a hotel on the river and close to restaurants, The Hotel Nuvo is not the best choice. However, it’s suitable for a downtown hotel, depending on what you’re seeking. As noted by others, The Hotel Nuvo is a converted Condo and hence the check-in is a little different and there is no staff available after 9:00PM. You don’t get a key to your room; the hotel uses a push-button combo lock with different numbers for the front door and your room door. So if you go out for diner and lose your combo, I’m not sure how you’d get back in.
Positives - Clean, new, in downtown and less expensive.
Negatives - Lumpy pillows, parking is a block away (note the walk is a challenge if your not use to the cold weather) and the combo lock thing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

As I pulled up to the hotel , I have to admit I was a bit nervous. That all changed once I entered the hotel. I was greeted by a very nice and respectable young man . He was very helpful and very welcoming. Once I received my room the gentleman helped me with my luggage upstairs. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place it made me feel like I was at home. I thought the Safeway that was ten steps away was very convenient . I made my dinner upstairs and had a good sleep. Overall I had a very good stay

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Patzymitzy
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I frequently travel to Calgary and this place works perfectly for me. Big rooms, great location and having the kitchen in the rooms and the grocery store next door is really convenient. Nuvo is has been my go-too hotel for a while now because the rooms feel very condo-esque, and it’s nice to be able to prepare your own food when you’re in town for a week at a time. I’ve stayed there on numerous occasions in the last 2 years, there’s been a few minor hiccups but the staff is usually pretty helpful. During my last stay I noticed they renovated the floors in both the hallways & the room I was in. The great value for your buck paired with the helpful staff make this place a good choice for anyone visiting Calgary for business.

Room Tip: The balcony suites are the best deal.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TourDeMi
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I should have trusted my gut. My first impression once the taxi dropped me off was "what the heck kind of hotel is this". I should have run. You need to buzz the front desk from outside, like an apartment building. Once in, I was greeted with a set of stairs and a sign directing me to the front desk on the second floor. No glamours lobby or bar here. Okay, so I haul my suitcase up the stairs. Found the front desk. The guy isn't as rude as other tripadvisor writers have experienced, so I guess I should be happy about that.
He gives my my room information, which is just a card with some codes. One code for the building and one for my room. There are no locks on the doors, which is weird. Also he told me my room number out loud when others were also waiting to check-in --as a single woman traveller made me worried about what other standard safety protocols were not followed here.

Anyways, so I haul my luggage up another flight of stairs to my room. I am getting the impression of dorm room or prison from the building at this point. Really the decor and amenities were non-existent. Get to my room, and I go to turn on the TV. It's only 6:30pm but there is no restaurant, no fitness centre, and the neighbourhood looks really sketchy. So I figure I'll just crash in front of the TV, although that is definitely not my first choice.

The TV won't turn on. I call the front desk (from my cell, as the room wireless phone had no charge to the battery). The guy comes up in about 30 minutes to help me with the TV. Meanwhile I have nothing else to do but pace back and forth along the concrete floors in my room. This is what prison must feel like. So what was the problem with my TV? The power button was missing - like it had been ripped out. So the guy from the front desk shows me how to wiggle my finger in the hole where the power button was. Well, at least I have TV.

Watched a few terrible shows (okay, that is not Nuovo's fault) and time for bed. The room has a mini-kitchen, which would be great I guess if I wasn't afraid everything is probably full of germs. The downside of the kitchen is that it is a studio, so the LED lights on everything light the room up like a Christmas tree all night. Also because the floors in here are concrete and laminate in the hall, the building is super noisy. I could hear people walking around and doors closing all night.

Whoever tells you that the building is soundproof is flat-out lying. I was on the third floor and could hear road noise all night. Also, they use curtain panels in the room rather than a full curtain. So I also had light from the street below shining right onto the bed all night.

It was a miserable stay. I will not be back. At least I didn't see any hookers.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jackski5

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels