“Small average hotel, great rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

Nuvo Hotel Suites
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Small average hotel, great rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

This little hotel in an unassuming location would be easy to pass without even noticing. We stayed during opening weekend of the stampede and it was very busy, but at such peak season, it was a relatively affordable option in downtown Calgary.

Positives:
- Large rooms with full kitchen. It would be easy to stay here long term and fend for yourself.
- Fending made even easier by adjacent Safeway and Liquor Barn.
- A good attempt has been made to keep a stylish theme in the rooms. Some of the furniture and decor is not top quality, but nor is it bland or average.
- Great shower! My husband and I are tall and hate hotels where we have to crouch to reach out heads. No issues here.
- Most rooms have a balcony.
- Our room wasn't ready at check-in but the staff were so proactive at resolving this, it gave us a positive impression.

Negatives:
- Narrow entrance and staircase makes access tight, especially with luggage. No communal areas at all.
- No 24 Hour reception may be an issue for some. Key entry out of hours.
- No parking bays for check in - try your luck on the street before being directed to secure parking.
- A 20 minute walk to the heart of downtown.

I thought this was a good choice for Stampede tourists on a bit of a budget. I'd rather stay closer to downtown on my next trip to Calgary however.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank LikeItIs-Reviewer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel and were very happy with the service and the room. The lady, I believe her name was Monique, that checked us in was very helpful and friendly and even managed to remember our names! The hotel was in walking distance to a few restaurants, which was perfect as my husband had the car for most of the day. The decor of the room was very trendy and very comfortable. Friendly Staff and a Comfortable room with a washer and dryer if I may add that isn't normally included in a hotel room. For the price that we paid we were very satified with the value that we got.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ClarissaG374
, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Nuvo Hotel Suites, and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Atland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a second time last week, and it lived up to my expectations set from my first visit. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable and the front desk agent actually remembed my name! I'll be back!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

If you want a room invasion by a drunk man, this is the place to stay. Featuring a broken washing machine, broken cupboard doors, garbage on the balcony, incorrect breakfast order and the loudest air conditioner known to humankind, this little gem in the heart of Calgary has no night staff, an emergency number that goes to voicemail, and a free visit from the Calgary RCMP when someone is able to enter the room and use your toilet.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Randolph W
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Nuvo Hotel Suites sincerely apologizes for the episode which occurred the night of your stay.

However I feel it is of vital importance to note that this guest had NOT locked his door the evening of his stay.

Further, please note that the guest who caused the disturbance is not welcome back at Nuvo, and we do not often have guests who act in such a manner, as the large majority of our guests are corporate travelers.

We are in the midst of fixing any broken washing machines, and in the meantime the staff are happy to help guests with doing laundry in our main laundry room. As well, although the breakfast order was initially given to us incorrectly from the company that provides the boxes, our staff did scramble right away to offer an equal alternative for the breakfast box.

Best Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed in nuvo hotel suites at the beginning of May 2012 for 3 nights. We thought the location was great and as a young couple enjoyed the short walk to 17th Ave which has some good bars aswell as being a short walk to the train and centre of Calgary. The room was modern and clean. The kitchen was well equipped. I would definitely recommend this hotel but my only problem was that it was so hot at night.. And we only had a fan for air con.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank A5nn5A
North Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We arrived at the hotel last night, with our confirmation of reservation in hand. We were told that their reservation system showed something different (a 4 night stay instead of a 2 night stay, and for totally different dates). They informed me that the hotel was full, and that they would be willing to call their sister hotel to see if they had a room (which they didn't).

Personally, if I make a reservation at a hotel, I expect there to be a room for me when I show up at the end of a long work day. Could you imagine what would have happened had this been Stampede week!?!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mollyhuber
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Molly Huber,

I sincerely apologize for the system error which resulted in this incident. We are in the midst of upgrading our interfaces to ensure that this sort of system error does not happen again, and I have spoken to the staff member on duty about the many ways in which she should have assisted you.

I would like to invite you back to Nuvo as our guest to enjoy a stay compliments of us so that you can experience the genuine hospitality for which we are typically known for.

Kind Regards,

Sarah
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights which was more than long enough. Don't know if all rooms are the same as I didn't see any of the others.

I was given a basement room which was dark and hot. No airconditioning, had to use a fan that was in the room. There is no good place to sit and work at a computer.

The bed was comfortable but the pillows are too thick, I wish I had brought my own.

The floor was concrete with a diry area rug on the floor. I was wishing I had brough slippers.

The bathroom is the size of a postage stamp and has seen better days.

The kitchenette and in suite laundry facilities are nice if you are staying for an extended period of time but I did not make use of anything but the fridge.

Staff are very friendly and helpful when needed.

I stayed here because it was located near to where I needed to be, but would probably wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't take a room in the basement - but beware there are no elevators.