“Nuvo Hotel - great location; spacious, modern”
Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

Nuvo Hotel Suites
Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Canada
“Nuvo Hotel - great location; spacious, modern”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at Nuvo Hotel after booking on the internet. We had a trip to Calgary and wanted something downtown-ish. Our taste trend toward the boutique, and when we googled boutique hotel in Calgary this one came up. The suites were very nicely appointed - very modern, with a kitchenette and balcony (the balcony may have been an upgrade). I think the hotel used to be a condo, hence its having a kitchen. All in all, it was very pleasant, great value for money, and in a good location. It is right across the street from a grocery store, next door to a liquor store, and close to shopping and cafes and restaurants. We passed a good time there, and I would recommend staying here for a trip to Calgary. It has the amenities of a hotel but the feel of an apartment of condo, making any stay better.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony, and confirm a kitchenette if you want one.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed for 6 nights at the end of July / beginning of August with my wife and two small children. We picked it because we wanted a centrally located hotel with kitchenette and washer / dryer. We usually stay in fairly upscale places when we travel so that's the perspective this review comes from.

Overall: good hotel and if from the description and reviews you see it looks like the kind of place you would like, you probably won't go too far wrong.

Location: some reviews said it was dodgy. I actually grew up in Calgary and lived downtown several blocks from this hotel for a few years. It's not a dodgy neighborhood, though it is a high density urban area in a big city. Exercise typical caution for such a setting and it's fine.

The hotel: Upon first arrival it was a little tough to see the small sign for it from the street, but other than that it was obviously well groomed and well maintained. Only nitpick is what others have said: the carpeting in the hallways is just awful and really needs to be replaced.

Check in: it's in a small suite up the stairs from the main entrance, not a traditional "check in" space at all, just a couple of guys sitting at desks in an office-like area. Other than that it was fine.

Getting to room: There is a 20 minute loading zone outside the hotel. If you have a car you definitely need to unload your luggage there and take it into the hotel before parking, as the parking is off site. There are also no elevators and we found the stairwells to be quite cramped. One of the staff helped bring up some of our luggage when we arrived, which was much appreciated. We were on the 2nd floor. Would not have liked having to cart heavy stuff up and down those stairs on higher floors.

The room: It was clean and quite modern. Trendy even. Definitely not designed with small kids in mind and probably wasn't the right setting for them, but we made do. The bathroom was tiny. No tub, just a shower. No carpeting on most of the floor, either, just that kind of high-traffic lino(?) tiling you find in schools and hospitals. After seeing how our socks looked walking around on it for a bit we wore our shoes in the room all the time. The washing machine had no door on it, so if we'd needed to use it (we didn't) we couldn't have. This is the sort of obvious thing the hotel staff should catch and fix without having to be told. I found the bed, comforter and pillows to be well above average in quality and my wife said the sofa bed was pretty good, too.

Parking: we were put in a lot about a block away down the same street. Mildly inconvenient but not unduly so. I could see why some guests would be reluctant to want to park there if they were going to be coming and going at odd hours. You get an assigned spot. Ours was nestled snugly between two concrete pillars that made getting in and out of the stall a challenge I could have done without. My annoyance at this was made worse given I also noted there were several perfectly easy stalls to get in and out of that we never saw occupied. I do not take kindly to being given the worst possible spot available in favour of keeping better spots open in case other guests check in. My suggestion to travelers: if you get that spot (trust me, you'll know it) immediately return to the front desk and demand a different one. It really was that irksome. Can't remember if we had to pay extra for the parking or not.

Other: As near as we could tell there are no hotel staff on site after about 11:00pm. This was a little annoying given the people in the room directly below us decided to party on their balcony until 3:00 - 4:00am four out of the six nights we were there. This was the room directly across the hall from the front office. Any other hotel would've shut them down pretty much instantly. We just turned on the air conditioning, which is every bit as loud as others have said it is.

In the end we felt that overall it was actually a decent place, though probably not appropriate for very old or very young travelers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Moirende
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Please do not be put off by the outside of this hotel. Our room was very comfortable and clean, it looked like it had ben recently refurbished. The staff were very efficient, and friendly. It is only two blocks from the free city transport. and there is a supermarket opposite.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bandbseapeeps
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've always been a bit reticent when it comes to posting reviews on these sites, as it seems as though people either suggest the property was created by a higher power, or alternately, claim the place should reside inside the eighth circle of Hell. This was not the case with this hotel, indeed I had a rather nice time. I was in Calgary for what I now consider a few useless meetings downtown (brisk 8 minute walk to the Nexen building), and due to the Stampede there was a bit of a room shortage in the Downtown core. At first sight, was a little unsure of Nuvo, its not necessarily what you'd consider to be a "normal" hotel. That was a bit of a good then when I saw the rooms. They were very clean, and rather stylish, and the bed was comfortable, (not that it mattered much, after a not so brief stint at the Cowboy's tent, I could have slept on concrete). Most importantly, however, was there were were no signs of any of the bugs that obviously crawled up the below reviewer's you-know-where! All in all, a good time at a decent value.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BobbyO54258
Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Nuvo by myself for three nights in January. It was an excellent stay.

Suites are new and beautifully furnished, modern and very clean.

The room views are not great, and had me looking onto a parking lot, but at 100/night, I was much more concerned about the amenities IN the room, which were phenomenal.

There is a little kitchenette, the beds are very comfy and the bedding & linens beautiful. There are dishwashers, and pretty much all you would need in a suite. Would definitely recommend to friends again (I already have).

The check-in process is a little odd, very informal and their office is just a little door to the right when you walk into the building. That was the only part of my stay I found unprofessional, though check-in and out is quick and easy.

The location is good, right downtown, close to grocery stores, restaurants, cafes, convenience stores, and everything else you might require.

Bathrooms again are clean and modern.

Only thing I would mention is that the murphy beds are very noisy, every time you move they creak. Other than that, it was perfect. Will definitely go back if the need ever arises.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank lacanadiensita
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2011

There are several issues with this hotel. First location. Although listed as being downtown, this hotel is far from any amenities and what you might save in fees you spend in cab fare, time and convenience.
Second, the frugality abounds; selling boxed breakfasts, four dollar bottles of water in the room and cheap finishing throughout. Third, the check in / check out hours are absurd: the front desk is not manned 24hrs / day and weekday check out hours are problematic for loading at the curb or you risk being towed.
Fourth, the rooms are cheaply done with linoleum floors, a lumpy Murphy bed (*yes, like the kind that folded out of the walls in the 1930s), small bathrooms and kitschy furniture. Fifth, noise and neighbours are omnipresent, and if you are lucky your windows will not directly face the wall of the next building and might catch a glimpse of the Calgary skyline.
Unless absolutely necessary this is not someplace i would recommend to friends or family and will absolutely never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank localtravelore

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My family and I stayed in this hotel on July 11 and 12, 2011. After traveling throughout Alberta with two small children, we thought it was a great idea to book a hotel similar to a condo. Each unit has a full kitchen as well as a washer and dryer. I should have known something was wrong as I was required to pay for the room in full when I checked in. I have stayed in hotels throughout Europe, as well as North and South America, and this was the first time I payed for the room in full before i even stepped foot in it. I was also given a hard time about getting a crib for my daughter even though the hotels website says they provide cribs for babies. Once I got my room, although it was beautifully furnished, I quickly realized that the washer/dryer was missing its door, thus unusable. When my wife let management know, we were told that this was "weird." They were unaware of the problem. The following day, upon enjoying all Calgary had to offer, when returning to our room late in the afternoon, we were once again disappointed with Nuvo Hotel. The maid did not clean our room. The women on duty at the hotel let my wife know that the maid should have cleaned our room and did not know why it hadn't been done. Since the maid had left for the day, my wife was given a few garbage bags so we could clean the room ourselves. Unfortunately, she did not know where we could dispose the garbage. Needless to say, this was the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel, especially one that cost me $530 to stay in on a Monday and Tuesday. When I checked out, I let management know how disappointed I was and all they could say was "That's not good". This hotel was "not good!" Don't fall for the Trip Advisor recommendation sticker they have prominently displayed on their front door. Also if you do decide to stay here after reading this review, be aware that there are a lot of homeless people frequenting the alley in the back of the hotel where the parking garage is located.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Gerry S
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review Nuvo Hotel Suites.

I would like to address the issues which you experienced. Firstly, regarding the payment at check in, this is a standard procedure for our hotel, and our guests appreciate that this eliminates any delays or hassles at check out, and as our front desk is not open 24 hours, it is more convenient to take care of all administration at check in. If a guest does need to depart early, the reservations staff are able to refund back the unused nights.

All rooms at Nuvo are inspected and cleaned daily. I spoke with the housekeepers about your suite, and their records show there was a Do Not Disturb sign on the door all day, which is why the suite was not cleaned.

Nuvo does offer a baby crib for suites at no extra charge, and the staff recall when you asked for a crib, and the manager went to purchase one the same day to ensure a crib was available, as the other cribs were already in use. As we do advertise a crib, we ensure that we follow through with all amenities as promised. For no reason would the staff be reluctant to provide something that our website guarantees we have.

Lastly, as the stay was during Stampede, the rates were higher than average, as that is one of the busiest weeks of the year in Calgary.

As management, I appreciate hearing concerns such as these so that our hotel staff can take the time to rectify the situation and ensure that similar issues do not occur in the future.

Best Regards,