“Great potential, but disappointing execution”
Review of Mango Shiva - CLOSED

Mango Shiva
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 1st and 2nd Street SW accross from Flames Central
Transit: From the 7th avenue and 3rd street C-Train station Mango Shiva is one south and 1 and a half blocks east. Half way between 100 and 200 block 8th(Stephen) avenue on the north side of the street.
Description: Mango Shiva is a contemporary and modern Indian restaurant serving delicious high quality and innovative Indian cuisine in a cosmopolitan setting. Enjoy Pan-Indian cuisine at its highest level with an approachable wine and cocktail list. Week day lunches feature a lunch buffet acclaimed as one of the best in the city.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The menu looked great, modern and a refreshing change from the usual Indian fare back home in the UK, where Indian cuisine is very popular.

The prices were high, but par for the course in the area.

Our server was polite, efficient and helpful up until the point when the food arrived...

The request for 'a little hotter' was ignored, and when the food arrived, was blamed on the kitchen not reading the chitty. Other meals were not as expected, and somewhat cool, as if left on the pass for too long.

The faulty meal was taken away to be replaced, but the 25 minutes it took to be re-cooked meant the rest of the party had finished.

The offer of a free bottle of wine as compensation was then withdrawn, although the faulty meal was offered on the house.

It was a real shame since the reviews of this place looked so good, and our stopover in Calgary was marred by this poor service.

Overall, considering the price, quality and service, I wouldn't recommend a visit.

4  Thank encayoh

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I liked this place alot, they catered to my allergies, the atmosphere was nice, super busy, a classy joint making good food.

1  Thank zostarks
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stopped in here for Drinks and enjoyed the Lamb slider's ....... The Sliders were amazing !!!! The only problem was the service, it took too long to receive our Mango Martinis and my husband asked for Salt & Pepper for his Slider's and we were 3/4 way finished before we received these simple items......... I would go back to taste more of what the menu has to offer, just hope the service improves......... One more try,

2  Thank sisterhopen
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We visited Mango Shiva for the first time last week as it was on the list of "Taste for Life" restaurnats that had volunteered to donate 25% of their takings to the SHARP Foundation - our favourite charity. I can honestly say - we loved everything about the evening. The location is bright and modern, the staff informed and attentive, and the different food choices enjoyed by all. The lone vegetarian in our group was delighted with the wide choice of dishes. We all adored the nan bread with fruit!! The only reason I did not give it full marks is the portions are rather modest for the price. In saying that - we wil most certainly visit again.

1  Thank Gingenut
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Northern Indian is never my favourite, but if you have to have it, Mango Shiva is not bad.

Starters included pakoras, pappadums, grilled lamb and prawns. Quite flavourful.

Main course for me, they didn't have exactly what I wanted, so said they could custom make some sag paneer (spinach with cheese). When it arrived, it wasn't quite sag paneer but a dry spinach and cheese (i.e. not pureed). Still tasted quite good, especially in conjunction with the rest of the accompaniments. But perhaps should have told me beforehand. I suppose the food keeps its rating but service is -1.

WIne served was not that good but it is an Indian restaurant after all so I suppose acceptable.

Can't say much about value, reservations, etc as the business associate was paying.

3  Thank Footloose_Ed