“Excellent food but indifferent service”
Review of Rush Ocean Prime - CLOSED

Rush Ocean Prime
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 1st Street
Description: A singular reflection of Alberta's signature hospitality, Rush Ocean Prime's downtown location occupies a large space in what was once Calgary's main post office, a magnificent building modernized. With a new look, new menu, and new attitude, the new Rush relaxes fine dining with a bold, brash and revolutionized offer. Rush aims to surprise guests with inventive globally inspired food from land to sea. Generous portions of steak and seafood are served up alongside sommelier selected wines and handcrafted cocktails. From the attentive service to the open, contemporary space, Rush sets the stage for special every-day encounters - whether it is a coveted spot in the intimate dining room or shared small plates and drinks in the lounge before a game.
Houston, Texas
“Excellent food but indifferent service”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Beautiful modern décor. Excellent wine list. Food beautifully prepared & presented. Downside – music is very loud to the point of inhibiting conversation. Service slow & often inattentive – not what you would expect from a restaurant of this quality.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank LucyLu_Texas

Calgary, Canada
“Not as good as it used to be.”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Booked a business lunch earlier this week. The waiter was professional but not friendly. Got a little annoyed when we told him after we were seated that an extra person would be joining us .
We ordered their pasta with cream sauce and I was told it was very good. Their luncheon special which included a variation on Italian wedding soup, pulled pork sandwich with fries and dessert (good value for $25.00). The waiter forgot to serve the dessert and gave it to my guest to take back to the office with him. I ordered the Rush burger, it came with Jalapeño Havarti, roasted red peppers, smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions and fries. I asked for a different type of cheese like a Swiss cheese instead of the Havarti and got mozzarella instead. The burger was stacked up so high there was no way to eat it as presented, which then meant I had to eat every component separately. So here it is, removed the toothpick that was holding it altogether, ate the cherry tomato and pickle that were stacked on top of the bun, removed the top bun and set it aside, ate the lettuce, too ripe tomato, removed the cheese and bacon ( I don't like melted mozzarella and bacon was not crisp), red peppers were to spicy to eat and the beef patty had some ingredient in it that gave it a funny taste. Really not impressed with the burger, but the fries were good. When they cleared the dish, no one asked why I had not eaten the food. As I mentioned before, the service was fine but not friendly, no one smiled. I have eaten there a dozen times in the last 2 years and in my opinion, the menu is not as good as it used to be, the execution of the food has deteriorated and the attitude of the staff has changed and not for the better. This place used to be at the top of my list of favorites, it has now dropped many spots.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank ammarson
United States
“So good! All about the food! (The atmosphere was perfect too!)”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here for our anniversary and had a fabulous time. The service was impeccable - I had requested a quiet booth in my online reservation - and all servers were aware and honoured our request (there were also some bubbles awaiting us when we arrived)!

The food was delicious - perfectly cooked (I had the duck and my husband had the special bison steak).

Our server took the time with us on the menu, offered suggestions and paced the courses perfectly.

The sommelier also helped us match a wine that would go well with both our entrees.

There was live piano music (perfect volume - we could still easily talk to one another) and the temperature was perfect (I usually get cold in restaurants but was comfortable here)

Can't wait to go back!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank strawberrykiwijello
Calgary, Canada
“MMMM”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The food was excellent I had the Beef tenderloin which was perfectly done during a busy night. The service we great, as they were good with there wine knowledge and offered excellent recommendations. The only thing negative about this experience was it took a little long to receive a table considering we had a reservation.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Walter M
Calgary
“Wonderful night out”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The food was fantastic and the service was 5 star. I would recommend to friends and it was nice to be able to hear the live music in the dining room. The Lobster bisque was delicious and the Lamb was cooked perfectly at med with delicious vegetables.

Visited April 2013
Rae H, General Manager at Rush Ocean Prime, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hello Shannon,
it is great to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Rush! the lobster bisque has been a staple on the Rush menu since the begining and is one of our favorites as well! thank you for takign the time to tell us about your time with us. We look forward to the next time we see you!