“Good food (a bit pricey) but lacks buzz”
Review of Rush Ocean Prime - CLOSED

Rush Ocean Prime
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 1st Street
Description: A singular reflection of Alberta's signature hospitality, Rush Ocean Prime's downtown location occupies a large space in what was once Calgary's main post office, a magnificent building modernized. With a new look, new menu, and new attitude, the new Rush relaxes fine dining with a bold, brash and revolutionized offer. Rush aims to surprise guests with inventive globally inspired food from land to sea. Generous portions of steak and seafood are served up alongside sommelier selected wines and handcrafted cocktails. From the attentive service to the open, contemporary space, Rush sets the stage for special every-day encounters - whether it is a coveted spot in the intimate dining room or shared small plates and drinks in the lounge before a game.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were at Rush Friday night for a date night. Due to the downtown location, there wasn't many people which makes it a bit too quiet. We were actually mainly there to catch up on live performance of Los Morenos, a local band we both really liked. Rush has live music Friday Saturday starting at 7pm which is really good for busy parents like us who need to get home early. I had the scallop for starter and pork duo for main course. They are both very good. I am not a big fan for pink pork tenderloin, but it went really well with the Kimichi (excellent pairing). The pork belly has crispy skin but lacks the fat layer that I craved. I guess it's understandable that North Americans are not used to pure fat. Overall, a nice ballanced fusion meal. The band is great. There is just a lack of "buzz" in the air.

Date of visit: February 2013
Rae H, General Manager at Rush Ocean Prime, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I happy to hear that the band and music times work well for you. Rush Bar hosts live bands Thursday- Saturday every week. We appreciate honest feedback and will look into all of your points with careful consideration. I am happy to tell you that Chef Ray Bear has launched a new dinner menu and we hope to see you back to try the new dishes!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My girlfriend and i went to rush recently for our anniversary. The food was amazing the service was impeccable. Undeniably calgarys best fine dining restaurant!! the ambiance alone is worth the visit but the food and service will keep you coming back!!

Date of visit: February 2013

Hello Cedric,
thank you for your kind words about Rush! Your enjoyment menas a lot to us and we can not wait to see you again!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

My co-worker and I wandered into Rush on a Wednesday evening. No reservations were needed and the staff was really nice. We sat in the lounge area. The wine list at Rush is extensive. There are a variety of food options on the menu including meat, seafood, & vegetables. The food and service were both great. If I am in Calgary again, I would love to return to Rush.

Date of visit: January 2013
Rae H, General Manager at Rush Ocean Prime, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Rush and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Calgary.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I dined at Rush on January 18th, 2013. The first detail that is important as you arrive is Valet Parking! Parking in the downtown Core can be a nightmare so the restaurant taking care of this for you is fantastic!

The restaurant itself is quite nice. The decor is upper end with lots of very interesting detail. The wine room is great to look at as you pass buy on your way to the table. The tables are spaced well and the chairs are comfortable.

The wait staff was attentive as soon as we sat at our table, however, they were not pushy or rushing in any way. My wife and I took our time deciding on wine and dinner and at no point did we feel rushed by the staff. Our waiter did a tremendous job. He explained everything that need to be explained and provided good suggestions.

We both had the lobster bisque, followed by the tenderloin. The bisque was excellent and the terderloin was cooked perfectly. For sides we shared mushrooms and the fries (with cheese and truffles!), both were delicious.

With wine, appetizers, meals, sides, desert and coffee the meal came out to $150.00 plus gratuity. Very reasonable for the downtown core especially when you consider that Valet Parking is available and Rush had an amazing live band performing while we dined. The band was one of the best parts of the evening playing a variety of music.

If you are looking for a great option for an adults date night, or an evening with friends, Rush should definately be considered!

Date of visit: January 2013
Rae H, General Manager at Rush Ocean Prime, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Hello and thank you very much for your review of Rush Restaurant. We greatly appriciate that you took the time out of your busy scchedule to share your positive experince with others. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the live music. We preseent live music every Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Rush Bar, with a variety of musicans. Please feel free to contact us for the upcoming live music schedule!
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Everything about Rush on the evening of our visit was excellent, down to the very last detail. The food was superb - I was not expecting to be faced with meals so beautiful I didn't want to begin eating them, but at the same time so delicious I couldn't stop. The service and atmosphere were both just as good, largely playing into what made the dining experience so supreme. Even the small details, such as the ambient music, were so perfectly fitting to the sheer class by which I felt surrounded. Having said all of that, I felt like I was made perfectly welcome! I have no complaints; only plentiful compliments for Rush.

Date of visit: January 2013

Thank you Connor for the beautiful comments you made about your experience at Rush Restaurant. It means a lot to us that you took the time to chare your experience with us and with others. We look forward to welcoming you back inthe future!